Where to buy Millipedes Online

Cavedweller

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Man I feel bad for missing out on this thread. That's what I get for not checking the site in a few days!

I'm the one who had the millipedes that were fighting, they were the same species though. Pete from BiC told me that it's fine to mix species that aren't from the same region, as long as they have similar environment needs. My single D. macracanthus (an african species) lives with my Florida ivories, and every one seems to be getting by fine, as that tank has produced a huge amount of babies.

The "giant blues" are not blue as immatures by the way. I don't think they get nice coloring until they're near adulthood. Mine are just boring grey right now and about 2 inches.

DatMillipede

Arachnosquire
Man I feel bad for missing out on this thread. That's what I get for not checking the site in a few days!

I'm the one who had the millipedes that were fighting, they were the same species though. Pete from BiC told me that it's fine to mix species that aren't from the same region, as long as they have similar environment needs. My single D. macracanthus (an african species) lives with my Florida ivories, and every one seems to be getting by fine, as that tank has produced a huge amount of babies.

The "giant blues" are not blue as immatures by the way. I don't think they get nice coloring until they're near adulthood. Mine are just boring grey right now and about 2 inches.
Thank you! Also, has anyone here know if it is safe to bring inside tree bark? I would like to make my tank more "natural", but the only trees around are pines, and sticks from aspen trees. I'm worried about the pine changing the PH of the soil, will that effect the pedes? Also, is anything wrong with the aspens? Thanks!

Cavedweller

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Any sort of softwood/resinous tree (such as pine or cedar) is dangerous for bugs. Hardwood such as oak or aspen is fine though (I use pet bedding aspen shavings as a component in my pede substrate). Naturally it's important to make sure that whatever you collect has no pesticides.

I collect rotten oak wood/leaves in the greenbelt near my house, but I bake everything at 200ºF for a few hours (moistened and covered with foil) before I use it because I'm fearful of introducing parasites into my tanks. Other people prefer their stuff unbaked though. If you do bake it, keep in mind that it will create a "bloom" of mold/fungus/possibly fungus gnats (harmless but really annoying in large numbers) for the first few weeks before settling. Most molds/fungi are beneficial to millipedes because it breaks down organic matter into something they can eat.

DatMillipede

Arachnosquire
Any sort of softwood/resinous tree (such as pine or cedar) is dangerous for bugs. Hardwood such as oak or aspen is fine though (I use pet bedding aspen shavings as a component in my pede substrate). Naturally it's important to make sure that whatever you collect has no pesticides.

I collect rotten oak wood/leaves in the greenbelt near my house, but I bake everything at 200ºF for a few hours (moistened and covered with foil) before I use it because I'm fearful of introducing parasites into my tanks. Other people prefer their stuff unbaked though. If you do bake it, keep in mind that it will create a "bloom" of mold/fungus/possibly fungus gnats (harmless but really annoying in large numbers) for the first few weeks before settling. Most molds/fungi are beneficial to millipedes because it breaks down organic matter into something they can eat.
Thank you! Guess I'll have to grab the aspen branch and be good with it! By the way, just curious, but do millipedes ever climb?

Cavedweller

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Mine do, except for my D. macracanthus (WHO IS MY ONLY "ARBOREAL" SPECIES). Some people are against giving millipedes climby things because of the falling hazard and possibility of crushing millipedes who are molting beneath it. It seems to be personal preference whether to take the risk or not. If you do use the branch, keep in mind that it will rot in the humid pede tank (not that this is a bad thing for the millipedes). Also make sure it's placed in a way that it won't fall and hurt anyone.

DatMillipede

Arachnosquire
Mine do, except for my D. macracanthus (WHO IS MY ONLY "ARBOREAL" SPECIES). Some people are against giving millipedes climby things because of the falling hazard and possibility of crushing millipedes who are molting beneath it. It seems to be personal preference whether to take the risk or not. If you do use the branch, keep in mind that it will rot in the humid pede tank (not that this is a bad thing for the millipedes). Also make sure it's placed in a way that it won't fall and hurt anyone.
Thank you to cavedweller and everyone elso contributing to this thread, I'm off for tonight in a bit, I'll be curious to see how this thread grows!