Where to buy giant pillipedes (USA)

UltimateDracoMeteor

Arachnosquire
I am not referring to the green Madagascar ones as I would find it cruel to keep one when it would just end up dying, I'm looking for the type like this or one of a similar size:

ErinM31

Arachnogoddess
Arachnosupporter
None are available in the U.S. because of the stupid ban. :mad::bigtears:
I agree, that looks like a wonderful species to keep if it does well in captivity!!!
There are some pretty pill millipedes native to here and to Europe that are rarely available, but they are small that the average pill bug (Armadillidium vulgare).

Chris WT

Arachnosquire
I've never seen one of those before, what a neat creature. My inner child would be so pleased

UltimateDracoMeteor

Arachnosquire
I agree, that looks like a wonderful species to keep if it does well in captivity!!!
There are some pretty pill millipedes native to here and to Europe that are rarely available, but they are small that the average pill bug (Armadillidium vulgare).
Seriously? I hate the US in terms of available bugs. I need to move to Europe just so I can buy bugs; the selection on BugzUK and more are so much better--stick insects, pill millipedes, giant millipedes, the list goes on. At least I'm not in Florida, where you can't get basically anything.

ReignofInvertebrates

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Same reason Phasmids have been illegal.. I wish they weren't! I love isopods and these would be about 10 times as cool! I could've sworn I saw someone in the U.S. was breeding them but I could be wrong.

Pillipedes

Arachnopeon
Does anyone have any of these giant emerald bugs preserved in ethanol? They seem to always die in captivity but I would like to buy a few to show to my students.

KevinsWither

Arachnodemon
Same reason Phasmids have been illegal.. I wish they weren't! I love isopods and these would be about 10 times as cool! I could've sworn I saw someone in the U.S. was breeding them but I could be wrong.
Then again, if they really were illegal, then wouldn't they be confiscated? I've seen people with giant african millipedes and the small species for sale. And technically, ALL insects would be illegal except for certain feeders. Beetles, phasmids, millipedes, mantids, and assassin bugs (roaches too) are examples that fall under the exact interpretation of the law. One of the quotes was that predators of predators of plant pests as being illegal, that could include any native predatory insect or arachnid (not really, but just a thing). It all depends on the factor of the judging USDA official. If he or she were lenient, they probably let almost anything through. The polar opposite, and they would confiscate every insect.

As for the pill millipedes, I searched them up, but there pretty difficult to care for as there is a thing with them needing a certain microorganism colony and it needing to be a bit more cool.

Would own them, but it'd be hard to care for.

SlugPod

Arachnoknight
It's basically illegal to own any cool invertebrate in the USA.
I've been considering moving to the UK or Europe or somewhere over there so I can just own invertebrates in peace.
It's doubtful the ban would ever be lifted, it doesn't benefit anyone in the place of power to lift it, so why would they?

I'd love to own some of the cool millipede species available to people outside the US, but alas, it's merely a dream of what could be.

KevinsWither

Arachnodemon
I've been considering moving to the UK or Europe or somewhere over there so I can just own invertebrates in peace.
It's doubtful the ban would ever be lifted, it doesn't benefit anyone in the place of power to lift it, so why would they?

I'd love to own some of the cool millipede species available to people outside the US, but alas, it's merely a dream of what could be.
I will tell you this in dm. Anyways there are people that have connections that seem to almost get any insect though. I would advise that if you are ready to have huge losses (as in the millipede dying, its pretty difficult to care for) and that your are persistent, you can just keep looking for them.

pannaking22

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Does anyone have any of these giant emerald bugs preserved in ethanol? They seem to always die in captivity but I would like to buy a few to show to my students.
I'm don't think they would hold their color very well in ethanol. You'd still be able to see the shape and maybe some patterning, but ethanol discolors things like this pretty quickly unfortunately.

Europe has their own sets of rules and in some countries you have to jump through all sorts of hoops to keep anything venomous (can't say for non-venomous). @Chris LXXIX would certainly know more on this than I would though.

SlugPod

Arachnoknight
@pannaking22

Yeah I would have guessed as much lol.
I doubt I'd move out of the US anyway, so it's more of just talking fantasy rather than actualities.

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
Europe has their own sets of rules and in some countries you have to jump through all sorts of hoops to keep anything venomous (can't say for non-venomous). @Chris LXXIX would certainly know more on this than I would though.
There isn't a single rule for UE on this issue, things can vary depending on the single nations. Italy banned the import/export/keeping/breeding/trading of all arachnids in 2003... this didn't happened in the other UE countries.

Btw here in Italy the situation isn't IMO bad at all, as today you can keep everything aside for:

- venomous snakes (no matter the venom potency)
- snapping turtles (still there's people keeping those, according to the specimen found on the loose in the wild)
- potentially lethal or really medically significant arachnids (so not a 'Pokie', 'OBT' or else, but the likes of P.nigriventer, S.hahni etc as well for their Scorpions counterparts)

Except those (and of course the protected ones) you can keep what you want: roaches, bugs & insects of all kind, frogs, arachnids (still you have to buy those last ones only in authorized expo/events) centipedes etc

TownesVanZandt

Arachnoprince
There isn't a single rule for UE on this issue, things can vary depending on the single nations. Italy banned the import/export/keeping/breeding/trading of all arachnids in 2003... this didn't happened in the other UE countries.

Btw here in Italy the situation isn't IMO bad at all, as today you can keep everything aside for:

- venomous snakes (no matter the venom potency)
- snapping turtles (still there's people keeping those, according to the specimen found on the loose in the wild)
- potentially lethal or really medically significant arachnids (so not a 'Pokie', 'OBT' or else, but the likes of P.nigriventer, S.hahni etc as well for their Scorpions counterparts)

Except those (and of course the protected ones) you can keep what you want: roaches, bugs & insects of all kind, frogs, arachnids (still you have to buy those last ones only in authorized expo/events) centipedes etc
Yes, the laws and rules varies between European countries. Here we can keep any arachnid we wish, but there are some laws that states that you need to apply for a permit to import certain species. All reptiles (whether venomous or not) are banned. In Sweden, however, you can keep pretty much anything you want (I have seen Swedish ads for cobras etc. on forums). What most people who wants to keep snakes here does, is simply driving into Sweden, buying one legally there and drive it back across the border to Norway.

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
What most people who wants to keep snakes here does, is simply driving into Sweden, buying one legally there and drive it back across the border to Norway.
Yup but the cobra (or another reptile for that matter) that a Norway citizen buy legally in Sweden once in Norway become illegal, so it's a "at your own risk" issue :)

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
Trust me, if you hate the import laws in the USA. You'd despise the import laws in Australia
But there's a very important reason for that :pompous: because it's a fact that if you let in the island alien animals like nothing within less than 5 years things would turn like Peter Jackson's 'Bad Taste' movie u_u

* yes I know, that movie was filmed in New Zealand, the cousins.

KevinsWither

Arachnodemon
But there's a very important reason for that :pompous: because it's a fact that if you let in the island alien animals like nothing within less than 5 years things would turn like Peter Jackson's 'Bad Taste' movie u_u

* yes I know, that movie was filmed in New Zealand, the cousins.
Australia, you guys are lucky. There is minibeasts wildlife and they have all sorts of cool and dangerous creatures. Seriously, funnel web spiders? Thats a start and don't get me talking about the gympie gympie plant...