Where do you get your spiders?

Highlander

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
This may sound kinda dumb but where do you guys get your spiders from?(not tarantulas)I mean I just got into inverts not to long ago,but when I would go to my local reptile shows I don't remember seeing any arachnids other than scorps and tarantulas.

alex

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I've found many different species in my house, especially on the attic.

chuck

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
some of the dealers here have true spiders, some members who are hobbiest have extra for sale. check out the Classified section of this site.
i personally get most of my stuff from Art Cerda, pick up new things at shows and even purchased a few jumping and black widows from Malhavoc.

Elizabeth

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
The only dealer that I can recall offhand that may have (I'm almost sure he does have) a selection of jumping spiders and other non-T spiders is Carolina Specialty Pets in NC. See if you can't find him in dealer reviews here. I know for sure he's a presence on Spidertalk, otherwise. I am hoping to get a Nephila from him some day/some year. I think I would need a bit of time to get a set-up ready, though, for one of those!

NYbirdEater

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I've caught jumping spiders in my house in southern NY about 25 miles from Manhattan. They may be small but very exciting to watch. they can catch flies in mid air and ate whatever I threw in even small wolf spiders became a meal. I've also caught small wolf spiders in the garden, larger ones living in between wood planks on the side of my house who actually bred inside an empty plastic container with no substrate. That was about 2 years ago. About 2 months ago I found a giant nursery web spider (i think) it had a large carapace with 2 white stripes running down it and its legs tapered to a point, but I needed the critter keeper for my small birdeater that arrived and let it go. Weherever you live there should tons of spiders around, if you can, go into the woods look under logs and in leaf piles, or the holes in rock walls. Pretty much anywhere. I can't remember the exact figure but on average I think every acre of land has about 50-100,000 spiders. Also some dealers seem to offer wolf spiders and huntsmans occasionally. Happy hunting! :D

<edit> Also orb weavers seem to be everywhere, especially at the end of the summer, right now the ones around here are still babies, but I find them mostly in bushes making their webs between branch tips to catch flying insects.