Where do you get your scorps?

Unravel

Arachnosquire
I'm looking to get an emp or two and was wondering what are some decent alternatives besides petco/petsmart.. or should those suffice?

I know usually buying anything that requires any sort of competent care from a pet shop is a horrible idea lol, but maybe its different with scorps.

I'm really just looking for an emp.

Roblicious

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Emp's are great starter ones because they are hardy as hell, petsmart/petco is really a hit or miss, but you can ask if they can feed one in front of you, that is a good way to determine if it is healthy or not. At least its the best way IMO. But they wont always eat as they dont eat a lot.

I saw a pair at petco the other day and the care sign says they glow under black light and they need to be fed daily. lol

You wont see them running around or anything as they will be in their hides anyways.

You can try kenthebugguy.com if you can handle the shipping (buy more then 1 to save on the shipping)

You can find specialty exotic pet stores ( I am sure they have some in the area)

Or local breeders (best imo)

A red claw scorpion scorpion or any of the asian forest scorpions will do, as they all require about the same care +/- a few degrees in temp and humidity. And they run around the same price if thats a concern.

BAM1082

Arachnoknight
I go to a local Exotic Store.
Again, its a hit or miss. Some stores take great care and pride in what they do.... others don't.

That being said, even the good stores generally don't know too much about arachnids.

AzJohn

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Of all the scorpions I've purchased, I've only purchased a few(less than 20%) from any pet store or online dealer. The majority of species I've gotten have been through trade or purchase from fellow hobbiest. No major dealer in the US keeps offers rare scorpions on a consisant basis. To me the best place to find scorpions is in the classified section.

Of coasre if you are getting a very common species then any of the on-line dealers will do.

Kaos

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Like the others say, check out classifieds here or on other sites. These are usually captivebred which is always the best option, atleast with species that are readily available. Not sure how it is in the U.S. but here i often see species labeled with wrong names and kept in poor conditions.

Roblicious

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Yeah most pet stores do the bare minumum to house/care for a lot of the pets, like putting a large scorpion inside a small deli cup where it has barely enough room just to do a 360, because it saves space/money, or thats what they came in when shipped, and its all that it 'needs'.

I know when I got my desert hairy and red claw they were both in small deli cups with some bark chips in there, now they have big enclosures they can finally stretch their legs :p

Unravel

Arachnosquire
yeah pet stores are generally horrible with.. well most pets. I do have 1/2 nice stores in my area but they generally dont like arachnids or scorps. Guess ill have to look around!

Avery

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I was pretty unimpressed when I went into a local petstore that had a Pandinus cavimanus in a shallow deli cup for god knows how long. I wish I had had the money to buy it at the time, though that would just encourage them to order more.

deserthairy

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Of all the scorpions I've purchased, I've only purchased a few(less than 20%) from any pet store or online dealer. The majority of species I've gotten have been through trade or purchase from fellow hobbiest. No major dealer in the US keeps offers rare scorpions on a consisant basis. To me the best place to find scorpions is in the classified section.

Of coasre if you are getting a very common species then any of the on-line dealers will do.
Need some Hairys John, anything you want to trade?...LOL (Back after about 3 yrs...Good to see your still around)

scorpguy

Arachnopeon
What other websites besides this one have good classified sections for scorps in the US?

bioshock

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
American Tarantula Society is good but the same people that post on here more than likely post there.

Roblicious

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
I was pretty unimpressed when I went into a local petstore that had a Pandinus cavimanus in a shallow deli cup for god knows how long. I wish I had had the money to buy it at the time, though that would just encourage them to order more.
I got my cavi that way too 3 inch height and 2.5 inch diameter, but I think they got them in pretty recent, mine was 10 bucks almost full grown :D

voldemort

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
i got mine from fellow hobbyist, and this works threefold

one, i am sure of the quality and the scorpion's health;

two, i can also get sound advices based from their experiences

third, freebies!!!

H. laoticus

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
i got mine from fellow hobbyist, and this works threefold

one, i am sure of the quality and the scorpion's health;

two, i can also get sound advices based from their experiences

third, freebies!!!
+1 for the freebies lol

Nomadinexile

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I have gotten all of my scorpions either from the Classifieds here, self collecting, and a few from ZooKeepers in Austin,TX. I Highly recommend checking out zookeepers if you are in Austin. Otherwise, I wouldn't shop anywhere else but here. Shipping adds a bit of cost if you are just getting one scorpion here. But that is more than made up for in quality, service, and the knowledge available from 99.9% of the people here. Learn here, buy here, it's really your best bet. ;)

le-thomas

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Twin Cities Reptiles. I only have one scorpion right now but I hope that I'll be getting more from there. Maybe a desert hairy scorpion :D