Where can I order a female Brachypelma Smithi spiderling?

Moakmeister

Arachnodemon
A website where I can request a female, and the spider herself less than an inch long. I would like for her to live as long as possible by getting it at a young age.

DeanK

Arachnosquire
At that size it's near impossible to sex. You'd be just as well served finding a juvie female smithi because they are a very long lived spider

WeightedAbyss75

Arachnoangel
If you can find one at about 2" sexed female, it will still live 15+ years allng with it being out of the sensetive sling stage. Young for a Brachy is old for most tarantulas in general ;)

truecreature

Arachnoknight
Female B. smithi have an estimated lifespan of up to like 30 years or more. I see from your profile that you're 18, so even getting an older juvenile or an adult you could still have that spider with you when you're almost 50 years old, provided it doesn't die from any health issues or getting stuck in a molt.

But no, as far as I'm aware there is no reputable website where you can make a request for a female; you'd have to have wait around and keep checking until one pops up. I think JamiesTarantulas gets them somewhat often

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
A website where I can request a female, and the spider herself less than an inch long. I would like for her to live as long as possible by getting it at a young age.
That is too small to sex a T.

If you want a young female, the smallest I see them are 3" DLS. You should contact all the dealers and see what they are willing to sell. Remember not everything they have are on their sites.

EulersK

Arachnonomicon
Staff member
Remember not everything they have are on their sites.
This is absolutely true. Tarantula keeping/breeding/selling is very time consuming, and is often done by a small handful of people. Updating a website is an entirely different monster, something dealers often don't keep up on.

Teal

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
If you buy a 1" B. smithi sling, even if it is male you will have that spider for several years!

darkness975

Latrodectus
Arachnosupporter +
Finding slings is not an issue. There are a lot of reputable sites and members on this board that sell slings. If you want a larger specimen that is when you sometimes have problems locating them.

Last edited:

cold blood

Staff member
But no, as far as I'm aware there is no reputable website where you can make a request for a female
Anyone selling you a sexed 1" female is not reputable IMO.
That is too small to sex a T.
Exactly

If you buy a 1" B. smithi sling, even if it is male you will have that spider for several years!
If you buy a full grown adult female, you could still have it for 20 years or more.

Haksilence

Bad At Titles
Arachnosupporter

This sounds like backwater reptiles, let me save you the headache of ordering from them.

Buy something from me and I'll send you something COMPLETELY DIFFERENT and you'll have the same experience for half the cost

Haksilence

Bad At Titles
Arachnosupporter
My advice:
Look for another species, I very seldomly see smithi and when I do they are grossly overpriced (or I guess appropriately priced since I never see them?)
You can pick up, faster growing, more active, prettier species for far cheaper. *Cough* *cough* A geniculata

darkness975

Latrodectus
Arachnosupporter +
There is nothing wrong with B. smithi and in fact I find them to be one of the best Tarantulas out there even though mine thinks she is an Avic.
There is little issue locating sites that sell smithi slings although as previously stated you cannot sex it at that small of a size @Moakmeister

Andrea82

Arachnoemperor
I hope that you will find another Theraphosidae that loves cuddles like Peanut, my man :)
You have a very good memory for names and posted content Chris. At first i was like, what are you talking about...then I looked at OP's posts..:rofl:

Teal

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
He will be enjoying that experience forever since B. smithi grow like glaciers.
EXACTLY MY POINT. lol He wants the T for a long time. Getting a sling = having the T for a loooong tiiiime.

cold blood

Staff member

Yes, but maybe he wants the experience of raising a sling also.
Yeah, so. Maybe he doesn't want to raise a tiny sling, since we don't actually know, your speculation is no different than mine. I was merely making the point that even an adult will be with him for a long time.

He will be enjoying that experience forever since B. smithi grow like glaciers.
Not always, my female has gone from 1" to 4.5" in 3 years...not glacial in my books...although many do grow that slow.

EXACTLY MY POINT. lol He wants the T for a long time. Getting a sling = having the T for a loooong tiiiime.
And my point was merely that you DON'T need to buy a sling to have it for looooong time, either.