When you knew you were ready ?

Frostbyte

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Ive been here a few months . Ive noticed sooo many of you have more advanced species of Ts. I was wondering ( I know Ive asked this before ) but what was it that personally made you get a more advanced T ? Are there certain things to prepare for? These pics of Togos , Cobalts , Usambaras and others are killin me! Are the Pokies far worse than cobalts? My meanest T is a Green Bottle .. lol .. I think I have the respect its just the fear of a bite that scares me .. PLEASE HELP ! Thanks !

pelo

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
I was ready from the word go.My first T's were adult P.regalis,H.maculata,H.lividum.I did a fair bit of research on each species first,just to get to know their needs,but other than that just a lot of common sense and respect.Things like using foreceps instead of hands...locating shelters/retreats far away from openings as possible...no handling...getting to know the moods of the T's.I can't really see any T being too advanced for anyone if they use common sense,respect the T for what it is(and capable of) and a little research into the species prior to purchase.Do all that and you're ready for any species..IMHO anyways....peace...

Last edited:

TheWidowsPeak

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I wouldn't recomend getting one of the dangerouse species just yet... get an aggressive one like an usumbara, or an earth tiger. thenafter you have had them for a while you might want to try a pokie. myself i kindof jumped into it. and ended up with an excaped H maculata bad news. but I caught it and locked the lid and haven't opened it since. I just throw the crickets thru the screen. so as long as your pretty responsible then hey just give it a try.

arachnopunks

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Our first upgrade was to the P. cambridgei. They are quick to be defensive and they are fast. However, they do tend to keep to themselves once established in their enclosures and tending them is relatively easy. If you have experience with Avics then you should be used to the manner in which an arboreal species moves and reacts. P. cambridgei is similar only a bit more fiesty. Also, you can get them at a decent price. They are very nice looking too. They have an overall green tone with bright orange stripes on the legs. Their hair is thick almost lush in appearance and they have the iridescent foot pads.

Static_69

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I'm with johnnyjohnjon on this one...just upgrade pretty slow...
P. murinus would be a nice aggressive T to start yourself off on.
They web their enclosures pretty cool too.
They are also very hardy, but just respect it and you should be fine.

Risto

Mojo Jojo

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Might I suggest A. geniculata if you don't already have one? I think that it is a good spider that will help you get more comfortable in reading a spider's behavior. Granted, they are no Usambara, but I think that it is definately worth considering if are serious about the hobby and are looking for a challange and not a CHALLLLANGE!

JOn

ACoopBB24

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
as others have said, i think that mostly what is needed is common sence and respect, along with knowledge of the species. I only have 7 tarantulas and 3 of them are........1 usmabara,1 Asian Cheveron, and 1 H. gigas. So i think that u will know when u are ready. I also think that an Usambara would be a good start to get into aggressive T's.

good luck

ines68

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Hi, I have similar questions... In the species caresheets of arachnopets (and other similar pages) you can find "experience level". Base in what they rate a specie?, what does that number mean?, how does a person know in what level is?, what does a person need to know to be a expert?, I presume there is not a test to rate a tarantulas owner, but I want to be sure wen I can be ready for a more agresive T

Thanks

Ines

ACoopBB24

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
the different numbers in the caresheets are probably going to be higher for T's that would: be more aggressive, need higher temperature or humidity, have a more dangerous bite, be faster moving, etc.

my second T(after my rosie) was an L. parahybana. this is rated pretty high on the experience level scale (because of being defensive and needing higher humidity). but i made sure what i was getting into and was ready for it and i have had no problems whatsoever. I think that you just need to know what you are getting into and make sure you are ready.

Mojo Jojo

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Why do you want an aggressive spider?

What is it about a docile spider that just doesn't "do it for you?"

Jon

Craig

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
i've worked with venomous snakes in the wild so i wasn't too worried when i got my first Poecilotheria. i think you should get an aboreal trantula like from the genus Psalmopoeus or maybe a H.lividum. something that i use that puts my hands out of danger are long cotton swabs like the ones that the doctor does throat testing with.

ines68

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Originally posted by Big Dragonfly
Why do you want an aggressive spider?

What is it about a docile spider that just doesn't "do it for you?"

Jon
=D I dont want only a more agresive T... I want all the Ts I can have =D

Of course right now I will get only beginner spiders... but I want to know what I have to learn to have a not so docile T

Thanks

Ines

Mendi

Arachnowolf
Old Timer
Best thing to do is get the more difficult species slowly, and when you feel comfortable being able to deal with their attitudes. Personally, I wouldn't jump in with a pTerror until you can deal with other less defensive creatures. You'll know as you go along what species you are ready to deal with

LCDXX

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Personally, I hadn't been in the hobby all that long... I was a long time reader turned poster to this forum when my wife bought my first arachnid (an Emperor scorpion) for our anniversary. Quickly, though, I realized that Ts were far more prevalent in the pet trade and, likewise, there were far more texts and documents supporting care for tarantulas than there are for various scorpions.

But then I started to read things about Usambaras, and Cobalts, and Poecs. After a while, your excitement level sort've jumpstarts at the mere mention of these names (okay, maybe not so much for Cobalts). After reading numerous stories on Usambaras on this site, I realized one day (a Wednesday) I'd have to have one... then, that afternoon, I waltzed into a local petshop and saw a little orange fireball sitting on the counter - I smiled. My wife took one look across the room and sighed heavily...

We have 2 of the little buggers now. :D

LCDXX

vulpina

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
As long as you respect the venom and the willingness to bite of the Asian and African species you're ready. Just know what you are getting into and don't attempt to handle these species. Treat them like a tank of fish...Look but don't Touch!!

Andy

MizM

Arachnoprincess
Old Timer
I got my first agro by accident! My husband saw an h. lividium at the pet store and HAD to buy it for me. I knew virtually nothing about them. I always "test" my Ts when I get them, so I carefully opened up the deli container and out zipped this blue thing up my arm and on to my head! Once in it's enclosure, I always kept it's speed in mind and then learned about it's defensiveness. After that one, the rest were easy!

I'd say buy ANY T that you fancy, but BEFORE you do, read, post, ask questions. As long as you have the basics down.. the rest is easy.

And, some of the more defensive species just happen to the some of the more BEAUTIFUL species!!!

Sicarius

Arachnopeon
As long as you arent jumping straight to the TRULY badass asian specimens you should be alright, with most of the so-called aggresive T's generally available.
........ but im jez a peon so wtf do I know?

skadiwolf

Arachnolord
Old Timer
just to put in my 2 cents here. i don't own any aggressive Ts just for the record. however, i do own some fast ones. now...from what i've heard, Poecs are even FASTER than Avics. and let me tell you...Avics are DAMN fast. if you see them move when they do their short little 'zips' of speed, it's barely.

now, combine that speed (or faster) with a highly aggressive/defensive T and you've got a nasty combination to deal with...

if you are desperately to get an aggressive T, perhaps start out with a slower-moving one at first? or maybe get a more docile but really fast T so you get used to the speed.

however, i wouldn't combine both attributes at once when getting a new T, just personally. now, i own fast snakes (mostly all of them) and a FEW aggressive snakes. put that speed and aggression together and you have QUITE a package that's very different from either just a fast one or just an aggressive one.

i think i'm repeating myself at this point...so, good luck in your choices. ;)

skadiwolf

Arachnolord
Old Timer
another thought...

you know, the main thing to think about when you purchase an aggressive T (from my perspective) is not whether it might bite you or run off when you hold it. you probably won't...

it's whether day after day you will be able to handle a situation where you go in to clean it's enclosure, give it more water, etc. and it either:

1. runs out of the tank like hellfire
2. raises up and prepares to attack you like hellfire
3. some combination of the above

day after day you will need to care for this T and that is the main thing...are you responsible enough to do it? what if this T proves to be extremely defensive and zippy? can you do that? open the tank day after day knowing it might be a battle?

now, this is an extreme example...but it helps to think about that and prepare yourself because you just MIGHT get a T like that. and after all, you have to clean the cage, and you have to feed it...so all this requires serious thought.