when you are far away

akazaran

Arachnopeon
Hi everybody,
I am thinking about buying my first tarantula but I have to travel for 1 or 2 weeks about 3 times every year. Can you leave a tarantula alone for 2 or 3 weeks at ambiant temperature?
How do you guys do when I have to leave home for this amount of time?
Thanks for helping

Vanisher

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Yes, no problem. Just put in a very large waterbowl. And if it is a moistliving speicies, dampen the substrate a little extra

moricollins

Arachno search engine
Old Timer
One of the best parts of keeping Tarantulas is that they don't need daily care. 2-3 weeks without care isn't a huge deal if you provide enough water to last while you're gone.

Hardus nameous

Yes, but only on Tuesdays!
Arachnosupporter +
I routinely travel for two weeks at a time with no problems. I just make sure substrates are correctly dampened if they need to be and the water bowls are full as Vanisher said above. As for the temperature, my house is usually in the vicinity of 21°C or so.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Can you leave a tarantula alone for 2 or 3 weeks at ambiant temperature?
Generally yes. If you have a very small sling that is only mm in size, then that is not recommended for some species IME. For adults, not a problem at all, I travel frequently. Sometimes gone for 3 weeks, and many are in the same place as I left them.

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
No, don't go far away. Never. Remain, instead. Remain as a devoted keeper and human being.

*Dust in the Wind*

CommanderBacon

Arachnobaron
If I have to leave for more than 10 days I leave my tiny slings with a friend so they stay hydrated. My larger Ts are awesome and don't need love. lol

Sarkhan42

Arachnoangel
I tend to have someone keep an eye on them while I'm gone for extended periods, but they really don't require anything as long as they have water provided.