When will they molt?

NatalieMK

Arachnopeon
My boyfriend and I just recently got a 2" female versicolor and a 1.5" unsexed amazonica. The previous owner said that they should both be molting soon, how will we know when they are getting ready to molt besides laying on their backs?

and is there any way we can tell the sex of the amazonica by its molting patterns?

please respond.

web eviction

Arachnolord
Mine will usually stop eating for a week or 2 or 3 lol then u get up one morning to find a shiny new spider

DJEggy

Arachnopeon
They will refuse food first. Then their abdomens will turn blackish. Finally, they'll hide somewhere they feel is safe and do their flip on their backs. The most important things you can do is raise the humidity a tad and just leave them alone, especially once they're on their backs.

NatalieMK

Arachnopeon
we have not tried to feed them yet since the previous owner just fed them on thursday and both their abdomens are still full. The versicolor is being very aggressive and the amazonica is mostly staying in its web and not moving around too much. Is it possible the amazonica is going to molt soon?

Najakeeper

Arachnoprince
Midsize spiders usually take around 3 weeks or so after they stop eating.

AmbushArachnids

Arachnoculturist
Old Timer
People on here have reported A. versicolor slings eating a day before they molt. I think you have an adult female?? You havnt told us how big any of the Ts are.

If they are not eating sit back and wait for it molt. If they are eating feed them until they dont want anymore. You cant over feed a spiderling! People say you can but i have had no bursting abdomens. Im sure there is no shortage of food for wild Avic slings. Remove any sharp objects your T may fall on. That should be common sense. Rocks, cactus.. :eek: hahaha

You can tell the sex by looking at the molt. There are alot of videos on you tube that will show you how to sex a tarantula using a molt. If your T is small you will need a magnifying glass or dissecting microscope.

Im sure Steve wont mind me posting these. ;)
[YOUTUBE]IIYzbCLTVww[/YOUTUBE]

[YOUTUBE]5rro_JDWNpI[/YOUTUBE]

NatalieMK

Arachnopeon
Amazonica molted today

The amazonica which was 1.5 inches just molted today.. we have not gotten the molt out of the terrarium yet.. we will m ost likely tomorrow. Its been hiding up in its burrow/web for a few days and now we realized he/she molted up there and the molt fell to the bottom of the terr. we were very excited seeing the new colors of its body and legs.. very beautiful, our baby is growing up :):D

curiousme

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
My boyfriend and I just recently got a 2" female versicolor and a 1.5" unsexed amazonica. The previous owner said that they should both be molting soon, how will we know when they are getting ready to molt besides laying on their backs?
Here is a list of signs of an impending molt. However, when you have itty bitty ones, they can and will eat up to the day before their molt. Our A. versicolor surprised us by doing so before.

Congrats on the molt!:D

malevolentrobot

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Here is a list of signs of an impending molt. However, when you have itty bitty ones, they can and will eat up to the day before their molt. Our A. versicolor surprised us by doing so before.

Congrats on the molt!:D
with slings, ime, not eating as a precursor to a moult is tricky, and i too only use it with other factors kept in mind as well. i've got some, like you said, that have eaten literally to the day before (my pokies come to mind and LP) and some (pulchripes, Eualthus sp.) that it was a very good indicator of a moult coupled with the darkening up and making of web mats.

good link, OP you should definitely give it a read.

NatalieMK

Arachnopeon
The A. versicolor has not moved from her webbing up at the top of her terrarium all day, she isnt eating either.. Its strange because just yesterday she was very active spinning webs all around her terr. Could she be molting soon? We have kept the temp and humidity high for both our Ts and so far the A. amazonica has molted into a beautiful yellow-purple combination.. we werent able to determine the sex w the exo. we think from a strange molt which ripped the abdomen part. We are still hoping its a female.

curiousme

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
The A. versicolor has not moved from her webbing up at the top of her terrarium all day, she isnt eating either.. Its strange because just yesterday she was very active spinning webs all around her terr. Could she be molting soon? We have kept the temp and humidity high for both our Ts and so far the A. amazonica has molted into a beautiful yellow-purple combination.. we werent able to determine the sex w the exo. we think from a strange molt which ripped the abdomen part. We are still hoping its a female.
A happy tarantula is one that sits in one place. ;) If it was webbing alot the day before, perhaps it now has its home how it wants it.

At the size your T is, it is not unusual for the abdomen to be ripped apart. It wasn't a weird molt, just how it the exuvium ended up. There will be another molt and another chance to try and sex it.

NatalieMK

Arachnopeon
versicolor

Our versicolor has been in her burrow for the past two weeks and has barely moved her abdomen is turning brown and she has been refusing food for two weeks.. I am worried about her..is she molting or what is going on???

AmbushArachnids

Arachnoculturist
Old Timer
If your T is lazy and losing its bright colors chances are its going to molt soon. This is a critical time for your T to be hydrated. Make sure water is available by misting the web a little. If its thirsty it will drink. If not dont worry.

Falk

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
They will refuse food first. Then their abdomens will turn blackish. Finally, they'll hide somewhere they feel is safe and do their flip on their backs. The most important things you can do is raise the humidity a tad and just leave them alone, especially once they're on their backs.
The Avicularia spp. dont molt on their backs, they do it on the side.

NatalieMK

Arachnopeon
yes we have been keeping her humidity up to 90-100% It just seems like its taking her wawy too long to molt.

baconmushroom

Arachnopeon
just relax. let it take its time..as long as temperature is good an the T is hydrated,,it will molt soon..and btw congratulations on the first molt!:D