When will my amblypygi drop its dead egg sac?

Pepper

Arachnosquire
I have two damon diadema. Both are female, and one is a replacement for a male that died soon after shipping (Lllreptiles, and 2 years ago). One of them has laid an egg sac, but they are all black, which i assume means unviable. Plus they havent been around a male for a long time.
I first noticed this about a month ago, and by now its peeling off at the front end. Should I Do Anything?
Sorry for the bad pic, literally best i could get

Attachments

ThemantismanofPA

Arachnoknight
yeah, black is usually not a good sign. She will shed them in time, its just a waiting game. Whever you do, don't try to tear it off yourself

Arthroverts

Arachnoking
I don't think it would be wise to try and remove it, as you may do more harm than good. It should just fall off when the time is right. At the same time, I think I remember hearing about egg sacs posing a problem for molting females.
@BobBarley, @aphono, @wizentrop, @Banshee05 (#amblypygidsquad), thoughts?

Thanks,

Arthroverts

BobBarley

Arachnoprince
Do not take it off of the female, she should drop it herself. The only time you might even consider doing so would probably be if she has about to molt and it is still attached. I've never had that happen though.

Pepper

Arachnosquire
Thanks for the replies everyone. How unique is this situation, producing unfertilized eggs? How long does it normally take for damon medius to drop a sac?

BobBarley

Arachnoprince
Thanks for the replies everyone. How unique is this situation, producing unfertilized eggs? How long does it normally take for damon medius to drop a sac?
Producing unfertilized eggs is not common but not unusual. The time it takes for them to drop a sac varies.

aphono

Arachnobaron
Late to this thread. As others said, she will drop it all by herself, maybe even eat it.

IME this species seems to produce sacs rather easily even without any pairing or if in sole confinement for months. At least the females in my care did so, including one female that produced another sac not long after dropping the first one. She had no contact with a male for a year when that happened.

Edited to add: due to the source, check if they might be Damon medius rather than D. diadema. As far as I've observed, all of their Damon have been medius in the last few years & they currently list them as medius but add the common name of "Tanzanian whip spider". Diadema can be found in Tanzania however medius are all West African(Togo, Cameroon etc).

Last edited: