when will it look like a T

kristal_kaos

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
My sling, G. aureos, is almost an inch in size....how big will it be before it looks like a T? lol, right now it resembles a normal house spider with a big butt. I would like to put it in a tank soon, lol.
It hasnt molted yet for me, has eaten 2 crickets in a weeks time, and seems to be doing good, so how much longer do they stay like this?

Alice

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
uh, a while...

grammostola is a genus of very slow growing spiders. however, aureostriata is one of the quicker species. at that size, it can still take months for the next molt to come. patience is the way with grammostola... :p

i forgot: it will stop looking like a housespider at around 2-3", so that's not a too long wait. give it a year maybe ;)

kristal_kaos

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
A year?! lmao! My husband is gunna kill me, lol.....i told him it would be a few months at most, lol...I might have to talk to him tonite about that, as he doesnt like Ts very much but hates hates hates lil Ts that are tiny like this. I guess I got a way to go, huh? Well, patience isnt a virtue, but I will try, ;)

Talkenlate04

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
At least a year....... lol I have a rosea sling that I got at 1/4" and in 7 months now its molted once and its a wopping 1/2" if that. :rolleyes:

Sunar

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Actually my aureostriata has grown pretty quick and I don't powerfeed. I hear they are one of the faster growing Grammys like Alice said.

~Fred

Mushroom Spore

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
I would like to put it in a tank soon, lol.
Depends on what you mean by a tank. If you mean a 5 or 10 gallon aquarium, it'll be at least a couple years before it's big enough. :embarrassed: If you mean one of the tiniest critter keepers, it should be fine once it's 1.5-2" and can definitely not fit its head through the ventilation slits (because if the head fits, they can get out).

I don't know what you mean by "look like a T." If you mean when will it get adult coloration, mine got its cute little striped socks somewhere between 1" and 1.5". I think they start growing their peachfuzz a little sooner.

As far as growth speed goes, I got mine as a 1" freebie in January '06. It's now maybe 2"? I never bother trying to measure mine, I just kind of eyeball it. Aureostriata are fast growers as Gramms. go, definitely, but this is not to say that they grow as quickly as something like L. parahybana or A. geniculata or even C. cyaneopubescens. Tell your husband to suck it up and deal--patience is a virtue, and an itty bitty baby certainly can't do anything to him. {D

Talkenlate04

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Tell your husband to suck it up and deal--patience is a virtue, and an itty bitty baby certainly can't do anything to him. {D[/QUOTE]

Thats freaking great........ that was good for a morning chuckle thank you for that.

phil jones

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
lol thats why i buy my ( t ) at a bigger size i have no PATIENCE lol --- phil

carrieh

Arachnopeon
I have a G.aureostriata as well so that means I have a long wait too(about 1" in size now) Boy I was hoping it would be sooner oh well. Just curious do I have as long a wait with my B.vangas, and B.albopilosum?

ErikH

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
I don't think it should take more than 6 months before you see some adult coloration. If I recall correctly, mine started showing adult colors 2 molts after the 1" mark, and I think the molts were about 3 months apart. That was on 2 crickets per week, at about 69-70F. I have had it a year now and it is around 2.5"; it was .75" when I got it.