When to stop Pairing?

YellowBrickRoad

☆Klaasified☆
Arachnosupporter +
Hi, simple as the title, how does one know when to stop pairing T's together? I know some people Let T's live communally to maximize potential success, but what if your someone like me and you literally watch every second of every Pairing attempt? How many times did you mate your T's and still become successful?

xhexdx

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
All it takes is one successful insertion.

The more times you pair them, the greater the chances of success. Pair them soon after you see the male build a new sperm web.

CAK

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
All it takes is one successful insertion.

The more times you pair them, the greater the chances of success. Pair them soon after you see the male build a new sperm web.
Joe Joe speaks the truth! My subfusca was locked for less than one second and I never got another pairing and I was still successful.

Poxicator

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
For my own thoughts I believe the importance is laid upon successful insertions not on the survival of the male or passing him on/back.
Many species will not tolerate the male hanging around, indeed he'll run for his life after an insertion. I usually try again with him the same day and then leave it for another week. Its often the case the female will show little or no interest and the male moves off.
You could tub the female immediately after mating to check the epigastric furrow - it should appear more open and sometimes traces of sperm can be found.
For more communal species, and I include Avics in this as they seem to be more communal during the mating period, I'll leave the male in for a week, or with Pokies for several weeks to months.
2 clear insertions in my opinion is enough but its often the case we don't see this with 100% accuracy

Poxicator

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
pokies are notoriously fast at insertions, same with Cyriopagopus and I'd presume Lampropelma (both my males were eaten)

Dangergirl

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
By this Friday, my vagans male has lived with the female in the same enclosure for 4 weeks. He tries and tries ... but she stays firmly entrenched in her burrow. Only saw them coupling briefly once the first night.

I'm not sure of her age and suspect she may be too young even though size wise she seems full grown.

YellowBrickRoad

☆Klaasified☆
Arachnosupporter +
I totally forgot I asked a question. lol... This post was on page 2 with no responses so I forgot.

I appreciate all of your input. :) I was able to witness several really good long lasting inserts, and I saw a couple inserts that were brief.

Joe, I've watched for him to make a spermweb without any luck. MM has been very willing to mate, he runs laps in his home, and gets the job done when he's with the females. I just hope he's not shooting blanks.

The main reason I was asking is because I have 3 females here---With the help of everyones input I'm able to get some sort of schedule. I really dont want the male in with any one female longer than he has to. <for fear he may become food> That would really be a sad day. Cheers and thanks!

robd

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I've been having this issue myself.

I was pairing my H incei last week and after about 30-45 minutes of him reaching underneath her abdomen, I'm pretty sure I witnessed an insertion because she jerked away and her fangs were spread at him and he started to walk away.

I reintroduced the male two days later and he inched his way towards her and was drumming and eventually made contact with one of her legs. She was not interested and kinda... leg smacked him. He jumped out of her enclosure and I was excited thinking I might finally have success here. But then I paired them again a few days later to make sure and there he goes again stretching out the boxing gloves trying to reach her furrow. So I don't know what to think in that regard.

I would just leave him in there and hope the job gets done, but I've done that with this female before and she ate the male. Did not lead to a sac either. It's not uncommon for this species to eat the male and the odds of the male getting eaten, with any species, obviously skyrockets if you aren't there to supervise and provide an escape route for the male. So I've been inclined to sit and watch all of my pairings lately.

Moltar

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Stop pairing them if you hear a crunching sound coming from the enclosure... That's the female telling the male "We're done here."