When to Say When

Rigor Mortis

Arachnobaron
Double post but I guess I have my "when." After mulling it over I've made the unfortunate decision to stick with only 5 T's and it's probably going to have to stay that way until I don't live in a tornado alley state. It's a hassle to move things down to the storm shelter in the first place when we have to go down there for a tornado, but even more so when I've got 5 spiders to worry about. I can't continue to expand my collection knowing that if we are in the path of a tornado it might not be possible to get them all down there in time. I could get slow growing slings but I'm not so keen on them. So for now I'm at 5, and not very happy about it. :sad:

Leila

Arachnobaron
At my height in the hobby, I believe I had about 15 Ts? Nothing big, but I was satisfied.

I got distracted with moving to another state, starting college, and so forth. Also, I had a few Psalmos that matured very quickly (as they do) into males, and they died. Lost a few other males as well. That kind of "killed my buzz." However, nature is nature; these things happen and all of that. :)

As of now, I own 5 Ts. And I AM CONTENT. 😊

Will I possibly obtain new species in the future? Perhaps, at some point. But I am presently happy with my small clan of arachnids on my shelf. They require less care than my 65 houseplants, ffs. Lol.

Andrea82

Arachnoemperor
Double post but I guess I have my "when." After mulling it over I've made the unfortunate decision to stick with only 5 T's and it's probably going to have to stay that way until I don't live in a tornado alley state. It's a hassle to move things down to the storm shelter in the first place when we have to go down there for a tornado, but even more so when I've got 5 spiders to worry about. I can't continue to expand my collection knowing that if we are in the path of a tornado it might not be possible to get them all down there in time. I could get slow growing slings but I'm not so keen on them. So for now I'm at 5, and not very happy about it. :sad:
Are you planning to move out of tornado alley at some point?

s dave

Arachnopeon
I'm really new to the hobby and caught the bug, but I know it's time to step back. I have a hard cap of 50, period. I'm not there, but don't really want to be either.

I have the room and the time, I just don't want to get in over my head. There might be a couple species I will grab if the opportunity presents itself locally but that's about it. I enjoy what I have and would like to focus more on larger live planted vivariums. So time to learn plants!

spideyspinneret78

Arachnoprince
I can relate. I'm bipolar, and can't seem to find work in my chosen profession though my credentials and work experience are great. Sweden isn't all that great for people who are a bit different... For me, though, getting into this hobby is a way of coping with life a little better.
I'm also bipolar, and I feel like getting into this hobby has gotten me through some really difficult times, and helped me make new friends since I'm a little socially awkward in general. The benefits of having pets for people struggling with this illness, and just anyone in general actually, is huge. Having that little slice of nature in your living space, learning new things, and watching these little creatures go about their daily activities is so incredibly relaxing. If I didn't have animals in my life I'd be in a much darker place, that's for sure.

ConstantSorrow

Arachnosquire
I'm also bipolar, and I feel like getting into this hobby has gotten me through some really difficult times, and helped me make new friends since I'm a little socially awkward in general. The benefits of having pets for people struggling with this illness, and just anyone in general actually, is huge. Having that little slice of nature in your living space, learning new things, and watching these little creatures go about their daily activities is so incredibly relaxing. If I didn't have animals in my life I'd be in a much darker place, that's for sure.
I so feel this. Obsessively researching invertebrates is keeping me from obsessing over my eating disorder these days. This is the closest I've felt to human in more years than I'd like to admit.

Minty

@londontarantulas
I don’t go over keeping roughly 50. Becomes more of a chore than enjoyment when I go over that number. I haven’t bought a new tarantula for months and it’ll probably remain that way until at least May. Had some MM deaths and one unexpected sling death so my collection has dropped a little. I have some species I’ve never kept that I’d like to have, but I’m in no rush.

Rigor Mortis

Arachnobaron
Hey remember when I said I couldn't have any more? Don't ever trust me when I say anything. I'm a fool. A lying fool. I got a new T in the mail today.

checkmate

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I've gone back and forth a lot lately about getting out or drastically downsizing to about 10 individuals. I'll always love spiders: reading about them, keeping up with published papers, finding and photographing them, educating people about them. But maintenance, rehousing, feeding, even buying...just doesn't have that excitement it used to.