When to Say When

FrDoc

Gen. 1:24-25
Arachnosupporter +
I have recently come to a life decision regarding arachnids. I really like the hobby, and my interest in learning more and more about these creatures is as high as it has ever been, not to mention the enjoyment of keeping them. I have accumulated fifty-ish specimens over the past few years and don’t plan on getting rid of any. However, I came to the conclusion toward the end of last year that due to the circumstances of life it was time to stop obtaining any additional animals. I know, some folks may sarcastically say, “Sure you’ll stop”. I assure you though, I have done this in the past with other very serious interests, e.g., firearms. I was a card carrying member of the gun-of-the-month club (joke), but there came a point at which I self-consciously said enough is enough, and haven’t bought one for going on eight years now. So, I’m quite positive this is now in effect. I am somewhat bummed though given the fact that I never obtained a couple specimens I really wanted, but let others bump the opportunity to get them, i.e., P. cambridgei, E. murinus, Deinopidae.

The reason I post this is that I was curious as to whether or not any of you veterans have made this, or a similar decision. I have read several anecdotes where someone has sold their collection, but never a circumstance similar to the one I describe. So, have you ever been at this point, or have you contemplated such a possibility? Just wondering...

Last edited:

chanda

Arachnoking
Old Timer
There's a gun-of-the-month club? Am I the only one that finds this slightly disturbing??? o_O

I'm not so hard-line myself. While I might intend to not make any future purchases, I would not stick to it if the right opportunity arose. Self-imposed limits (like no old-world, no goliath bird-eaters, no more trap doors or other pet holes, no more solifugids because they're hard to keep alive, no more tarantulas because I've already got enough) tend to fall by the wayside when I'm at an expo and I see something I want sitting there on the table - or when I'm out hiking and something interesting scurries across the trail. Not that I lack impulse control - but those limits are frequently pretty soft, without any real conviction behind them. I am currently at a point where I'm not actively seeking to acquire anything new (but contemplating replacing a few things that died or matured male) - and even considering "thinning the herd" a bit - but if I saw something really cool, and at a good price, I'd still probably scoop it up.

CommanderBacon

Arachnobaron
I'm at about fifty-ish specimens right now and I feel like that's a good stopping point for me, but it's not a hard limit. I spend about two hours a week caring for them, and that's really not so much time. They relax me.

I am getting more selective about the specimens I collect, though, and may be handing some off to friends as I curate my collection more closely.

What makes you say that you won't pick it up again? Just a pattern you observed with previous hobbies of yours? Or is the size of your collection causing you some anxiety?

FrDoc

Arachnosupporter +
There's a gun-of-the-month club? Am I the only one that finds this slightly disturbing??? o_O

I'm not so hard-line myself. While I might intend to not make any future purchases, I would not stick to it if the right opportunity arose. Self-imposed limits (like no old-world, no goliath bird-eaters, no more trap doors or other pet holes, no more solifugids because they're hard to keep alive, no more tarantulas because I've already got enough) tend to fall by the wayside when I'm at an expo and I see something I want sitting there on the table - or when I'm out hiking and something interesting scurries across the trail. Not that I lack impulse control - but those limits are frequently pretty soft, without any real conviction behind them. I am currently at a point where I'm not actively seeking to acquire anything new (but contemplating replacing a few things that died or matured male) - and even considering "thinning the herd" a bit - but if I saw something really cool, and at a good price, I'd still probably scoop it up.
Gun of the month club; a hyperbolic jest. I’ve clarified, but it would be cool, and I would have been a member...(snicker).

jrh3

Araneae
Arachnosupporter +
:alienThe good thing about guns is they only need feeding when you use them so you can never have enough. :alien

As for Tarantulas, I would say when you start having to call in to your job for a sick day, just to feed your slings. Then it would be time to stop, HAHA.

Theneil

Arachnoprince
I have come to the conclusion that i want to have fewer to take care of, despite constantly wanting more, though i am unlikely to stay in the hobby and not get more new additions, but i do foresee myself acquiring too many, then downsizing, and repeating indefinitely... :bag:

FrDoc

Arachnosupporter +
I'm at about fifty-ish specimens right now and I feel like that's a good stopping point for me, but it's not a hard limit. I spend about two hours a week caring for them, and that's really not so much time. They relax me.

I am getting more selective about the specimens I collect, though, and may be handing some off to friends as I curate my collection more closely.

What makes you say that you won't pick it up again? Just a pattern you observed with previous hobbies of yours? Or is the size of your collection causing you some anxiety?
As I wrote in the original post, I’m committed to staying in the hobby, so it’s not a matter of picking it up again. I’ve just decided to cease increasing and let things naturally thin out. Additionally, absolutely no anxiety about the size of my collection, as a matter of fact (except for rehousing) keeping arachnids is actually a very simple endeavor, and rehousings aren’t even that exciting anymore. I made reference above that it is a decision based on circumstances of my life. I’ll hit 58 in a couple months. My collection includes several Brachy slings and juveniles, one of which I know is a female, several Grammie juvies, and an A. chalcodes sling. I’m thinking that will be enough to keep me busy about right up to the end. Heck, I’ve already had cancer, so it’s not inconceivable I might be outlived by some of my spoods...HA!

Last edited:

Colorado Ts

Arachnoangel
I have recently come to a life decision regarding arachnids. I really like the hobby, and my interest in learning more and more about these creatures is as high as it has ever been, not to mention the enjoyment of keeping them. I have accumulated fifty-ish specimens over the past few years and don’t plan on getting rid of any. However, I came to the conclusion toward the end of last year that due to the circumstances of life it was time to stop obtaining any additional animals. I know, some folks may sarcastically say, “Sure you’ll stop”. I assure you though, I have done this in the past with other very serious interests, e.g., firearms. I was a card carrying member of the gun-of-the-month club (joke), but there came a point at which I self-consciously said enough is enough, and haven’t bought one for going on eight years now. So, I’m quite positive this is now in effect. I am somewhat bummed though given the fact that I never obtained a couple specimens I really wanted, but let others bump the opportunity to get them, i.e., P. cambridgei, E. murinus, Deinopidae.

The reason I post this is that I was curious as to whether or not any of you veterans have made this, or a similar decision. I have read several anecdotes where someone has sold their collection, but never a circumstance similar to the one I describe. So, have you ever been at this point, or have you contemplated such a possibility? Just wondering...
I get it. I understand.

I used to be very active in breeding African Cichlids. It started off keeping them in display tanks and grew to breeding and producing offspring for the local petshops and hobbyists. It was a blast, I had about 5 dozen species that I maintained and breed. I had a very set schedule for my project and it was growing dramatically. It just took off and completely surprised me; the cash flow was quite lucrative, but it kept me very busy. I was making contacts and was producing amazing species of cichlids for the local area and I was starting to ship my fish to distributors in California and Arizona.

Then one day, my wife sat me down and we had a talk about the amount of time that my "Hobby" was interfering with the quality time not being spent with the family. She didn't ever say stop, she simply said think about it...is this "Hobby" worth the time lost with my kids and my wife.

It took 4 days to mull it over. I sold off my breeders, my stock and pieced out my equipment over several months. It was a hard choice and I missed it terribly for many years.

But for making that choice, I got to see my daughter earn medals and awards in Cross-Country. She ultimately earned a place on a college team and competed nationally at the college level. I got to see her walk across the stage and receive her Bachelors degree. And I got to see my son grow as an athlete as well. He was incredibly talented as a Pitcher in Baseball and a gifted Quarterback in Football. He earned an amazing scholarship to a D1 University as a college athlete, but sadly he stepped away from this opportunity at the last minute and has chosen a different career path.

Had my wife not taken the time and talked with me, I probably would have missed some major events in the lives of my family.

I think that now the timing is better for me, so this hobby...the tarantula hobby....is a great fit for me.

Last edited:

FrDoc

Arachnosupporter +
I get it. I understand.

I used to be very active in breeding African Cichlids. It started off keeping them in display tanks and grew to breeding and producing offspring for the local petshops and hobbyists. It was a blast, I had about 5 dozen species that I maintained and breed. I had a very set schedule for my project and it was growing dramatically. It just took off and completely surprised me; the cash flow was quite lucrative, but it kept me very busy. I was making contacts and was producing amazing species of cichlids for the local area and I was starting to ship my fish to distributors in California and Arizona.

Then one day, my wife sat me down and we had a talk about the amount of time that my "Hobby" was interfering with the quality time not being spent with the family. She didn't ever say stop, she simply said think about it...is this "Hobby" worth the time lost with my kids and my wife.

It took 4 days to mull it over. I sold off my breeders, my stock and pieced out my equipment over several months. It was a hard choice and I missed it terribly for many years.

But for making that choice, I got to see my daughter earn medals and awards in Cross-Country. She ultimately earned a place on a college team and competed nationally at the college level. I got to see her walk across the stage and receive her Bachelors degree. And I got to see my son grow as an athlete as well. He was incredibly talented in baseball and Football. He earned an amazing scholarship to a D1 University as a college athlete, but sadly he stepped away from this opportunity at the last minute and has chosen a different career path.

Had my wife not taken the time and talked with me, I probably would have missed some major events in the lives of my family.

I think that now the timing is better for me, so this hobby...the tarantula hobby....is a great fit for me.
I really appreciate this response. Different context, different set of circumstances, but spot on with what I’m trying to convey, that there may be a time to consider such a move.

Brachyfan

Deactivated account
I am starting to wind back a little bit. Haven't been in the hobby that long but I got all the NW terrestrials I have an interest in. Not gonna say I'm done buying Ts but I'm content for now. And with me getting my Jewelled lacerta I'm good for lizards too. Time to just enjoy raising my slings and taming my lizards :)

Of course that could get shot at the next expo :D

PanzoN88

Arachnodemon
I did take a step back in late november mainly because some losses in the collection that really took the love of the hobby out of me for a bit. Now using the winter to recharge and build my collection back up when it gets warmer.

Never thought it would happen to me, but it did (2019 was a tough year for me for the most part).

Reason for edit: PanzoN88 doesn't pay attention at times.

Last edited:

cold blood

Staff member
I never obtained a couple specimens I really wanted, but let others bump the opportunity to get them, i.e., P. cambridgei
Geez, now I really want to send you a cambridgei...they're just the best!

I appreciate people who know when enough is enough though....too many nowadays buy them like candy.

(2029 was a tough year for me for the most part).
At least the time machine remains functional for you:)

Polenth

Arachnobaron
I'm not a veteran keeper, but I have limited space and want to be sure I have time for all my pets, so I have limits. I'm aiming for around six tarantulas as a maximum (I currently have three). I also have space set aside for some woodlice and millipedes on my dream list. Once I'm at the limit, I wouldn't get anything new unless an animal died.

It's odd to me that people are so harsh about the idea of setting limits and having plans... it's the sensible thing to do, both for the keeper and the animals.

Ungoliant

Malleus Aranearum
Staff member
My 24 tarantulas don't take up too much time or money, but due to space constraints, I am not actively looking to acquire more (though I may trade any mature males I end up with).

Right now I have a fair number of juveniles and slings that will one day need bigger enclosures, so I have to keep in mind how much space they will take up in the future.

PanzoN88

Arachnodemon
Geez, now I really want to send you a cambridgei...they're just the best!

I appreciate people who know when enough is enough though....too many nowadays buy them like candy.

At least the time machine remains functional for you:)
Oops :banghead: :banghead: :banghead:

Brachyfan

Deactivated account
My 24 tarantulas don't take up too much time or money, but due to space constraints, I am not actively looking to acquire more (though I may trade any mature males I end up with).

Right now I have a fair number of juveniles and slings that will one day need bigger enclosures, so I have to keep in mind how much space they will take up in the future.
Always impotant to plan ahead! I love that post because it is great advice :)
I really thought you'd have way more!

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer

I'm right there with you. There's only a "few" species I'm interested in keeping now. I'll always have Ts, esp the AFs I have. However, I'm focused on species that are unfortunately hard to obtain.

I've been fortunate to obtain many, many different species over many years. One isn't even sold anymore.

Last edited: