When to rehouse T

TarantulaBella

Arachnopeon
I recently rehoused my B. Smithi sling and now realize the enclosure is to tall an needs more substrate. Should I just rehouse her now? Don't want to cause too much stress.

Trenor

Arachnoprince
Rehousing will not likely bother that species of T too much. If your concerned about your setup I'd plan out the things that need to be changed. Then move her into a deli cup while I fixed her home. Take it slow and there shouldn't be a problem. If you'd like suggestions on what changes maybe needed to her enclosure feel free to post a photo of the whole enclosure and we will be glad to help out.

Best of luck and let us know how it goes. :)

PS: If she has just started eating again after her molt then that means she has recovered from it and her exoskeleton is no longer "soft". This would be a good time to move her and make the changes you need.

TarantulaBella

Arachnopeon
I can't get a good picture but she is in Jamie's Tarantulas adult cage. My T was in the terrestrial juvenile cage and needed an upgrade and that was the only size up. I bought it as Jamie seemed experienced to me. She is experienced and has good products but the cage size jumps up a lot from juvenile to adult. I am going to keep her in the cage as she doesn't seem stressed and always gets her food. I just have to add substrate as it is really tall. I am probably going to do it today. She is probably 2in.

Trenor

Arachnoprince
I can't get a good picture but she is in Jamie's Tarantulas adult cage. My T was in the terrestrial juvenile cage and needed an upgrade and that was the only size up. I bought it as Jamie seemed experienced to me. She is experienced and has good products but the cage size jumps up a lot from juvenile to adult. I am going to keep her in the cage as she doesn't seem stressed and always gets her food. I just have to add substrate as it is really tall. I am probably going to do it today. She is probably 2in.
I have one of those as well. Moving from the Juvie enclosure she sales to the adult works fine for most species but some of the slower growing ones you need a enclosure in between that one. This keeps you from having a big enclosure filled with mostly substrate. There are a lot of DIY enclosure you can setup that will work as a middle enclosure.

I can post some links when I get a break from work if you need them. :)

Trenor

Arachnoprince
If your T is 2 inch from the tip of the front leg to the tip of the back leg (DLS - Diagonal Leg Span) then it could likely use the Jamies juvenile enclosure for a while longer. The cork and things provided with the enclosure takes up a lot of extra room. I decided to leave it out on mine and provide some plant cover for my T.

I've been using these clear plastic boxes that are about an inch bigger than a Jamie juvenile enclosure. I keep my Ts in there till the are 3.5-4 inches DLS. At that point you should be fine moving your T into the full on adult enclosure.

Here is some photos to give you an idea or two on setting it up. I fill it about 1/3 full of decently packed substrate. I drill holes in the lid which is easier not to crack. (your's has the screen so no drilling needed)

I hot glue a fake leaf set or two directly to the side of the enclosure to give the T a place to hide. In a smaller enclosure I find it works well and takes up less room. Behold my awesome glue job. :)

Here is what it looks like from the top. Your B.smithi will not web like this so you don't need but one leaf set in a back corner that makes a hide spot for it. (I'd use bigger leaves if you can)

That should leave you enough room to let your juvenile B.smithi grow till 3-3.5 inches. At that point I'd fill the adult enclosure 1/3 with substrate. Which should place the line just below the air holes on the side. Your T will be able to grow into it pretty easily.

Another option is this modified shoe box. They sale them as singles if you only need one. You would need to make a lock for the lid (I use twist ties to lock mine) and drill air holes in the side. Here is what some of them looks like. Make sure you buy the 5 inch tall ones so it takes less substrate. You can use cork for a hide or glue the leaves like above.

You could leave your juvenile B.smithi in one of these till it was 5 inches and then it would be ready for the big adult enclosure.

Hope this helps. Good luck and let us know how it goes.

TarantulaBella

Arachnopeon
Thanks a lot for the info! I have decided to keep her in the juvenile and move her to a bigger storage container later before the adult.:happy: