when to move scorplings to biggger tank?

BigBadConrad

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
My baby AZ bark scorps are eleven weeks old now. There were ten when I put them in a deli cup the day they came off mom's back, and they are all still alive. I keep a moist piece of a sponge at one edge of the cup since I heard they need humidity for a while, and this gives them somewhat of a gradient. Also some peat/soil and pieces of bark for plenty of hides, nearly constant supply of week-old crix. They seem to be thriving.

Question: when do I move them to a bigger container? I have a small critter keeper that has about twice as much surface area as the deli cup. How long do I have to keep them in a moister environment? I'd like to give them bigger quarters, since the crix bump into them and freak them out often in the cup, but it will be less humid.

Thanks for any input.

Odorachnid13

Arachnopeon
I moved my baby C. exilicauda's into 10 gallon tanks divided into 5 sections by plexiglass on about the same time line. I have a bottlecap sized container in them for water and mist them about once a week with one burst of water. They seem to be doing well, molting regularly and eating well. At about 21 weeks (they are about 31 wks now, in their 5th instar) the compartments which had two scorps each in them became single-occupancy when the stronger of the pairs ate their roomates :(, but it left me with 10, which is plenty. In any case, to hopefully answer your question a bit, as soon as they are bigger than the pinheads, they can be moved into a bigger space and easily hunt. You probably want to keep them a bit more moist than the adults, but not much. Good Luck, J

XOskeletonRED

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
I supply my bark scorps with a rotted piece of wood. The air around the wood naturally holds a lower humidity than the area inside the wood. They are also able to eat the occasional batch of temites that I look forward to finding for them which tends to hide in the wood they would ordinarily be living in or around in nature. It sure plumps up the females fast and I haven't found anything that my Centruroides enjoy eating more, nor have I found a place they like hiding more than a rotted out stump.

adios,
edw.

BigBadConrad

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Progress report: all ten still kicking at 13 weeks, about 1/2" long now. The rotten wood is a good idea, but there just isn't any rotten wood here in the desert. Any dead wood turns into basically balsa wood quickly here. I moved them to a small Kritter Keeper last week and added some more bark and a bigger chunk of sponge. I only need to soak it once a week or so and it keeps the substrate in that corner of the tank slightly moist, so seems like a good setup.