When to move maturing P. Cambridgei

ArachnaeEsoterica

Arachnopeon
Its getting bigger pretty fast, I remember it being the most delicate looking runt but its starting to have an air of intimidation about it. When should I move 'em up to a better arboreal enclosure? I have one available that I used before when I first got him but I moved him because I felt that the water dish was too hard to deal with without spilling it in the dirt and eventually making the soil dangerously moist.

Quarter in the picture for size comparison.

Attachments

Andrea82

Arachnoemperor
I would rehouse. And add a LOT more decor. Where is the vertical bark? The fake leaves? Yhis is a species that lives near or in trees. It has no hide, no nothing except a waterdish. Why are you keeping your spiders like this?

ArachnaeEsoterica

Arachnopeon
Because I was afraid of the bark toppling on the T and crushing it to death. And I already mentioned the water dish issue with too much moisture.

Toxoderidae

Arachnoprince
Please no. Spiders are agile, and would get out of the way, and bark for enclosures weighs next to nothing, even for them. This is a super, super bad setup, and honestly pretty sad. Please rehouse ASAP and listen to andrea.

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Tarantula-P...hash=item27df76c6e7:m:m7PjvRj2j9TS3SE2oL7Lwkw

I'm considering the purchase of this one, is it not vented properly? I don't see holes on the side.
I know bugzarre, i've bought decor from them once. They are nice folks, but those enclosures are very little, suits slings, but i wouldn't put an "Avic" in those.

You, on the other hand, have a P.cambridgei, and those grow like weed so i would re-house him/her into a more bigger arboreal enclosure.
Using always common sense of course, IMO the less T's transfer/re-house, the better, always.

What i have suggested to you, that arboreal glass enclosure, in terms of size, is good (take that as an example).

Toxoderidae

Arachnoprince
I'll post some of my arboreal enclosures to give you an idea, since that cork park does NOT suit a P. cambridgei

ArachnaeEsoterica

Arachnopeon
I wouldn't use wild wood and the cork bark comes from a larger log hide I broke apart for reasons. I have a huge brick of sphagnum moss to add also.

Andrea82

Arachnoemperor
IMG_20160403_193633.jpg IMG_20160403_193551.jpg That new enclosure is too small in diameter.
Why didn't you go with the enclosure Chris suggested?
I have my P.pulcher SLINGS in an enclosure like that. They are 4cm DLS.

Last edited:

ArachnaeEsoterica

Arachnopeon
I don't have the money to order that enclosure to the U.S. the one I can afford is too small. I could check the thrift store for a cup like that and drill some holes into it.

Andrea82

Arachnoemperor
You don't have like four dollars for a larger plastic container from wallmart?

Sorry, but I notice I am getting a little frustrated by the fact that everyone is giving you solid advice,myself included, and you ddon't seem to heed any of it. If you read the tarantula keepers guide, you'll find how big enclosures must be and what else the T needs.
Start on page 9.
Good luck, I am unwatching this thread.

ArachnaeEsoterica

Arachnopeon
I rehoused my OBT. The baby seems relatively calm unless when I first bought him, not that I'm not suspicious of it already. i saw fuzzy mold growing on a patch in his plastic cup and noticed they were using jungle mix dirt for substrate. I fixed him up some fresh clean coco fiber, cracked a coconut shell to make him a hide and took the egg carton out (present in the picture though). He has a little bush of peat moss too to do whatever he wants with.

Attachments