When to hold a tarantula?

Frank04

Arachnopeon
hello I have had my pink toe tarantula for about a week now and have never handled it... It's my first tarantula and will be my first time handling one so when should I? And do you have any tips to not get bit? I know handling Ts can cause them stress and I dot want to do it often I just would like to see what it's like I guess...

Attachments

TownesVanZandt

Arachnoprince
There´s really no good reasons to handle a tarantula. They certainly don´t gain anything from it, and you run the risks of injuring the spider, having the spider escape or getting bit or "haired" yourself. Tarantulas are great animals to keep, but they are best left inside their enclosures.

(BTW, I believe you have posted in the wrong section. This doesn´t belong to Troubleshooting/Suggestions ;))

Frank04

Arachnopeon
There´s really no good reasons to handle a tarantula. They certainly don´t gain anything from it, and you run the risks of injuring the spider, having the spider escape or getting bit or "haired" yourself. Tarantulas are great animals to keep, but they are best left inside their enclosures.

(BTW, I believe you have posted in the wrong section. This doesn´t belong to Troubleshooting/Suggestions ;))
Alright thanks and I don't know how this website works

Venom1080

Arachnoemperor
No tarantula shod be handled unless absolutely necessary. Avics are the worst tarantula to handle as they tend to jump when startled. You should really leave that spider be.

EulersK

Arachnonomicon
Staff member
Can we see a picture of the whole enclosure? It looks like that avic is on a half log... which would be the opposite of a proper enclosure for an arboreal.

Frank04

Arachnopeon
Can we see a picture of the whole enclosure? It looks like that avic is on a half log... which would be the opposite of a proper enclosure for an arboreal.
Ya the tank it's in isn't ment for it I got a proper encloser coming in the mail here tomorrow or the next day.

Paiige

Arachnobaron
Most people on this site discourage handling, and for good reason. On the other hand, there are plenty of experienced keepers that do handle.

If you do plan on handling anyway, take the time to get to know your tarantula first. Would you like it if you were a small creature and someone brought you home, only to poke and prod at you and make you run laps on their weird hairy arms? Probably not. Get it into the new enclosure first, feed it and let it get used to its new home. It's going to be stressed and grumpy until then, and grumpy tarantulas are not the ones you want to handle! :)

Get to know your new little friend - and perhaps, a few months down the line, create a thread geared towards only people who choose to handle and I'm sure they'll give you some advice.
However, @Venom1080 is correct in that Avics are known for jumping - and if they jump far, they can hurt themselves. I would recommend getting a docile terrestrial first and handle that once you've gotten accustomed to it instead of a quick, jumpy Avic :D

bryverine

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
And do you have any tips to not get bit?
I've found the easiest way to avoid bites (probably most effective too) is to not handle them. ;)

I had a guy showing me a G. rosea today (you know, the "best species to handle" :rofl: ) jump out of his hand and take off across the floor... thank goodness it wasn't hurt... it jumped for no apparent reason mind you.

If you hold a wild animal, it's hard to anticipate instinct and what they perceive as a threat. Be careful, good luck, NO MISTING AVICS PLEASE!

Venom1080

Arachnoemperor
Hm, I'd think Pokies would be more skittish when handled though. More prone to jump, no?
ive had both run on me, the pokie just ran but the avic fricking jumped after 2s, its a survival technique of theirs in nature, they dont know they can fall to their deaths, they just expect another branch or something to be there to block their fall. when walking on you, they seem to lift up their legs and when they reach your fingertips or the end of your hand they jump.

BobBarley

Arachnoprince
ive had both run on me, the pokie just ran but the avic fricking jumped after 2s, its a survival technique of theirs in nature, they dont know they can fall to their deaths, they just expect another branch or something to be there to block their fall. when walking on you, they seem to lift up their legs and when they reach your fingertips or the end of your hand they jump.
I stand corrected. :) I have no personal experience with Pokies and limited experience with Avics (more into NW terrestrials) so I just sorta assumed.

i mist my avics every now and than, about once a week or so. gives them access to water after a molt.
I drip water onto my A. avic's webbing for him/her to drink about once a week.

Andrea82

Arachnoemperor
Another thing to consider: this species' urticating hairs.
Avicularia doesn't flick hairs, but lines their webbing with them. And when faced with a threat, presses those hairs in the attackers skin.
Since you will be seen as an attacker, it will press those hairs in your skin by rubbing/pressing its abdomen against you.

You may have seen some videos where the keepers exclaims 'awwe look at that, he's cuddling and waving his butt at me!'
That wasn't the Avic being social, but defensive. I'm sure the keeper had itchy hands after the video. :D

Frank04

Arachnopeon
Alright thanks everyone for their suggestions. I'm going to just try and skip out on handling it haha! I just seen a lot of people handling their tarantulas on YouTube so I thought I'd do it once but I don't want to harm him/her, it's not worth it. Hopefully I can transfer him/her in its new home today or tomorrow though.