When to hold a tarantula?

darkness975

Latrodectus
Arachnosupporter +
Alright thanks everyone for their suggestions. I'm going to just try and skip out on handling it haha! I just seen a lot of people handling their tarantulas on YouTube so I thought I'd do it once but I don't want to harm him/her, it's not worth it. Hopefully I can transfer him/her in its new home today or tomorrow though.
That's one of many problems with Youtube. Every clown and their family is on there but there is a severe lack of actual knowledgeable people that post intelligent content about these types of topics. Generally all you see on there are the fools who want to "look cool with the giant spider on their head."

bryverine

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
i mist my avics every now and than, about once a week or so. gives them access to water after a molt.
Thats good and all, but I figured if they were asking about holding a tarantula, their husbandry was at a very basic/caresheet level.

When people (myself included) come here with their first dying/dead avic, I'd venture to say it's probably due to "misting" their tarantula.

It's hard to understand subtle at first with caresheets raming that 84.78% humidity down people's throats. I think I originally imagined an avic in nature like this:
avic_habitat~01~01.png

I spritz water on my avics web with a syringe and blunt needle now. Originally, I got a 1 gallon pressurized, high-flow spray bottle to "mist" the cage.

darkness975

Latrodectus
Arachnosupporter +
Thats good and all, but I figured if they were asking about holding a tarantula, their husbandry was at a very basic/caresheet level.

When people (myself included) come here with their first dying/dead avic, I'd venture to say it's probably due to "misting" their tarantula.

It's hard to understand subtle at first with caresheets raming that 84.78% humidity down people's throats. I think I originally imagined an avic in nature like this:
View attachment 228093

I spritz water on my avics web with a syringe and blunt needle now. Originally, I got a 1 gallon pressurized, high-flow spray bottle to "mist" the cage.
LoL nice pic :p

Venom1080

Arachnoemperor
It's hard to understand subtle at first with caresheets raming that 84.78% humidity down people's throats.
I spritz water on my avics web with a syrnge and blunt needle now. Originally, I got a 1 gallon pressurized, high-flow spray bottle to "mist" the cage.
i kinda get what youre getting at, but not misting avics is something i consider to be wrong. maybe CARE SHEETS KILL AVICS but saying not to mist is wrong advice IMO.

Walker253

Arachnobaron
hello I have had my pink toe tarantula for about a week now and have never handled it... It's my first tarantula and will be my first time handling one so when should I? And do you have any tips to not get bit? I know handling Ts can cause them stress and I dot want to do it often I just would like to see what it's like I guess...
Twice in while drinking the same cup of coffee, here is another example of why you shouldn't intentionally handle your T:

I'm in a bit of a tough situation right now with my newest tarantula, a 2 year old female curly hair. I had been handling her for a couple of minutes and she started to get a little moody, so I got ready to put her back in her enclosure. I must have moved my hand or something, but she panicked and climbed up the mesh frame of the fireplace and into the inner workings (an electric fireplace, unfortunately). I tried to open it up and take it apart as much as possible but the only conclusion I can come up with is she must have gone into a space in between the fireplace itself and the brick wall, about 3 inches wide and wraps around the entire fireplace. Luckily it's off and won't be going on any time soon so she won't cook, but I'm worried she may freeze or get stuck back there. My dad is going to ask to borrow a scope tomorrow to see if we can find her and maybe nudge her towards us to get her out- but I'm very concerned about her and how much danger she could really be in. I care deeply for all my tarantulas and consider them to be family to me, I'd be crushed if I had to give up on her. What could I try in order to get her back?

That story should be pinned.

Andrea82

Arachnoemperor
Alright thanks everyone for their suggestions. I'm going to just try and skip out on handling it haha! I just seen a lot of people handling their tarantulas on YouTube so I thought I'd do it once but I don't want to harm him/her, it's not worth it. Hopefully I can transfer him/her in its new home today or tomorrow though.
I think you're doing the right thing in not handling your T.
Transferring tarantula doesn't have to include actually handling your spider. You can use the catchcup method or the side by side. If you type these searches in google and add arachnoboards to it, results of this site come up. And entering those words in youtube, adding tarantula will get videos of these methods.

vancwa

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I SO hate this topic. Enough already! If your "T" has its front legs in the air, it wants to be held. Like a child yearning for comfort. Lesson learned.

vancwa

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Twice in while drinking the same cup of coffee, here is another example of why you shouldn't intentionally handle your T:

I'm in a bit of a tough situation right now with my newest tarantula, a 2 year old female curly hair. I had been handling her for a couple of minutes and she started to get a little moody, so I got ready to put her back in her enclosure. I must have moved my hand or something, but she panicked and climbed up the mesh frame of the fireplace and into the inner workings (an electric fireplace, unfortunately). I tried to open it up and take it apart as much as possible but the only conclusion I can come up with is she must have gone into a space in between the fireplace itself and the brick wall, about 3 inches wide and wraps around the entire fireplace. Luckily it's off and won't be going on any time soon so she won't cook, but I'm worried she may freeze or get stuck back there. My dad is going to ask to borrow a scope tomorrow to see if we can find her and maybe nudge her towards us to get her out- but I'm very concerned about her and how much danger she could really be in. I care deeply for all my tarantulas and consider them to be family to me, I'd be crushed if I had to give up on her. What could I try in order to get her back?

That story should be pinned.
I'm sorry. I hope you get him/her back safely.

Walker253

Arachnobaron
It's not my tarantula. I copied and pasted another thread from Dec 7th. I don't think the lady got her T back. I was just showing an example of why you shouldn't intentionally handle your tarantula.