when should you stop feeding_____???

seanrc

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
when your t gets a certain size.. when should you start feeding it somthin other than crickets? ex"mice , large roachs .. etc.. other food???" im curious i have a while to go on the few i have but there goin to be around 8" to a 12" !!! im curious since me Brazlian salmon pink is getting big..... quick.. and my King baboon , while still little , will be there so time down the line .. along with my Goliath... thanks guys!!!

Drachenjager

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
i would get roaches to feed them like Blaptica dubia or Blaberus discoidales

Hedorah99

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Like Drach said, roaches are the way to go. Failing that, you can feed a blondi crickets, it will just take a lot of them.

Merfolk

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Feed as you please, but as soon the abdomen seems to double the size of the cephalothorax, have your little one fast a bit. Some T's will eat until they look like queens termites, but it is unhealty to let them do so in captivity. It decreases the general life span, makes fatal falls more likely and your animal will spend longer periods without showing any interest in hunting.

Also, some powerfed animals have a tendancy to mature earlier, but at a smaller size. If it's a male, it has no chance of getting bigger then.

Finaly, make mice an occasionnal treat. Very few spiders actually eat warm blooded preys and they are not designed to digest them properly. It would be like having a Big Mac every meal. Small frogs and lizards can complement a steady diet of roaches and crickets. If you have to collect them, check for an envirronement free of pesticides (they are banned where I live anyways) and check for parasites and diseases.

A safer way would be to collect frogs eggs and hatch them in captivity. Fed with bought food, they won't be able to accumulate toxins, like many of us here fear they do!