When should I ideally be ready for an old world?

Kaqpewqt

Arachnopeon
Got my first OW pretty early (first year), Chilobrachys sp.
Never had any problems with it BUT that's bc I respect all my OWs a lot. If I feel like "oh she's alright I dont need to be so cautious all the time", I read bite reports and boom I respect them again. Most bite reports also include how the bite happened, and you can analyze the risk factors and try to minimize them.

Look up how to rehouse them in a way that both you and the tarantula can't hurt each other, and please do not just look at videos of the dark den and exotics liar. Sometimes they take risks for better videos, which is not necessary or in any way a good example for most keepers.
Use the new information and try to apply it when rehousing the tarantulas you're comfortable with.
Dont open the enclosure all the way when you are feeding them and never open the enclosure before checking the lid/ making sure you know where the T is.

That's basically it. Minimize risk factors , respect them and you'll be alright.

But, as some other people said here, if you're still concerned about the basics (e.g. humidity, rehousing), don't get yourself an OW.

LadyVonChimp

Arachnosquire
P. murinus is a fossorial species though and in my experience they will burrow if provided with enough substrate.
Interesting! I've given mine enough to burrow if it would like to, but so far it hasn't. They seem to be pretty adaptable from what I've read.

l4nsky

Aspiring Mad Genius
Arachnosupporter +
Honestly, I started with Old Worlds. I had a lot of experience with ornery animals from field herping that imparted the confidence it requires to rehouse them. That's the main reason people advocate against them IMO, as their day to day husbandry is identical to a NW (except for moisture dependent species, not a lot of NW's with that care requirement). Also, IMO, the ladder system isn't 100% necessary. I think it was a system that was borrowed from hot snake keepers (where it is 1000% necessary due to the potential life and death consequences). Once again, IMO, you can sort of skip a few rungs with T's if you have husbandry nailed down and the confidence and respect for the animals. Probably going to get tarred and feathered for this post.....

8 legged

Arachnoprince
Of course I'm being rather ambitious now as I have only been back into the hobby over a month. At what point tho would one feel like they are ready for an Old World? More specifically for me an Obt. When did you decide to get an Old world?
If you ask such questions, you are probably not ready yet...

TownesVanZandt

Arachnoprince
Interesting! I've given mine enough to burrow if it would like to, but so far it hasn't. They seem to be pretty adaptable from what I've read.
Hmm, the ones I keep all spend the vast majority of their time down in their burrows, just like my other "baboons". I give them them all the same basic setup with lots of substrate, some cork bark angled in the right direction with the beginning of a burrow already dug out and a water dish.

Frogdaddy

Arachnoprince
I would say a good place to start would be not having to ask the question how do I know when my tarantula is content?
That is easily answered through experience, providing proper husbandry, rehousings, time. All the things that prepare you for an OW.

Iamconstantlyhappy

Arachnoknight
Got to keep T’s for a minimum of 10 years ranging over 8 different genus. Then you need to apply for your OW permit. After six months you can take the exam to get your OW owners license. You’ll be on a 4 month probationary period where if you have any screwups, you’ll lose your OW rights for 1 year. Good luck.
Sounds about right if you live in France :rofl:

Matt Man

Arachnoprince
I started with an OW (rescued a MF OBT) so my opinion is worthless. That being said, I did a ton of research, I am an adult, and did more research/lurking here and successfully rehoused it (it had horrible substrate) within 2 months of acquiring it. OBTs will burrow if given the chance. I gave mine the chance, she was quite happy and lived a long healthy life

BoyFromLA

Spoon feeder
Arachnosupporter +
Tarantula keeping is a routine.

A routine of:

• Waiting
• Feeding
• Watering
• Checking
• Observing (pre molt, molt, post molt)
• Rehousing
• Cleaning

When a routine, becomes a habit, you would then know, that you’re doing all this without much over thinking about it or be stressful about it, but rather just doing what needs to be done.

That’s pretty much it.

The boundary between NW & OW becomes blurry in time.

Last edited:

Matt Man

Arachnoprince
Tarantula keeping is a routine.

A routine of:

• Waiting
• Feeding
• Watering
• Checking
• Observing (pre molt, molt, post molt)
• Rehousing
• Cleaning

When a routine, becomes a habit. You would then know, that you’re doing all this without much over thinking about it or be stressful about it, but rather just doing what needs to be done.

That’s pretty much it.

The boundary between NW & OW becomes blurry in time.
Great Points. But to comment on Habit, familiarity breeds contempt. Sometimes when it becomes a habit, we get sloppy and this is where issues with OWs arise.

BoyFromLA

Spoon feeder
Arachnosupporter +
Great Points. But to comment on Habit, familiarity breeds contempt. Sometimes when it becomes a habit, we get sloppy and this is where issues with OWs arise.
Indeed. Guess I would then replace ‘habit’ to ‘daily-experience’.

Arachnophobphile

Arachnoangel
Of course I'm being rather ambitious now as I have only been back into the hobby over a month. At what point tho would one feel like they are ready for an Old World? More specifically for me an Obt. When did you decide to get an Old world?
You mentioned you have been back in the hobby for a month. How long did you own T's before and what kind?

TGod

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
You mentioned you have been back in the hobby for a month. How long did you own T's before and what kind?
A year and a few months I think. I was much younger and much more naive. I think I made plenty of mistakes due to ignorance so I wouldn't count that tbh. I had a Gramastola Rosea, lovely little thing I could just handle all the time ( looking back now that was probably why it died) and a Paraphysa Parvula, that thing was fast with brilliant take downs.

Storm76

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
When I entered this hobby, I started out with a juvie P. irminia girl and a small B. harmorii. And I was of the opinion that I would never keep OWs. Not that I was scared, just concerned in general about owning such an animal and it hurting a visitor, or worse, get loose in the appartment. Someone back then told me "You're not going to limit yourself to only NWs - trust me" - yes Jay, that was you! And darn it you were right. By now I've owned Chilobrachys, Poecies, baboons and still have a female Cyriopagopus sp. "hati-hati" I'm raising.

Bottom line, there's not much difference really. All that's needed is common sense and being confident without being reckless or trying to prove something to someone. You want that OBT? Go get it. But please don't get bit, it's bad for the hobby in general.

Arachnophobphile

Arachnoangel
A year and a few months I think. I was much younger and much more naive. I think I made plenty of mistakes due to ignorance so I wouldn't count that tbh. I had a Gramastola Rosea, lovely little thing I could just handle all the time ( looking back now that was probably why it died) and a Paraphysa Parvula, that thing was fast with brilliant take downs.
This is my opinion, if people respect OW's and are attentive, responsible and only want to keep tarantula keeping in a positive light then they should go for it.

I'll speak here only in regards to myself. I will not own any even though I want them. If I make a mistake and one escapes I now put the other people in my household in jeopardy. If one of them get bit and have to seek medical help I now put the hobby in a bad light and God forbids one of the local news outlets gets a hold of it.

LucN

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Pretty late replying to this, but here's my take. Some feel more comfortable than others. Some can jump right off into the deep end and do fine. For me personally, as much as I would love to own an OW, I have to take into consideration the higher possibility of escape and the added potent venom.

For those reasons, I would rather explore a their NW counterparts.

If I'd want an obligate burrower in the vein of Cyriopagopus, I can always look into Ephebopus instead. If I'd want a Poecilotheria, there's Psalmopoeus to look into. A horned spider like Ceratogyrus ? Sphaerobothria hoffmanni is the equivalent.

Just not a risk I'm willing to take. If any of these should bite me, I know the effect will be much less severe.

spideyspinneret78

Arachnoprince
Nobody else really knows except for you. I think that if you've kept a few different tarantula species, have done your research, and know to treat these species with respect/ caution, you should be fine. A lot of it depends on your confidence level and prior experience too. Do what you feel comfortable with, just take the necessary safety precautions.