when rehouse?

EggSack

Arachnopeon
Hi tarantula people

I have my A. Geniculata for a bit over a year and she's doing super good and I am having a lot of fun keeping her. She has molted 3 times already (every 4 months approx.) and I know I will have to rehouse her at some point into a larger enclosure. Do you guys think I'll have to rehouse after the next molt? Or can she stay a bit longer in this enclosure?

Also could you point me to some sexing guide? or is she still to small to tell?

cheers,
Egg 20210417_120350.jpg 20210417_120350.jpg 20210417_120350.jpg 20210420_152240.jpg

CommanderBacon

Arachnobaron
We'd need to see a molt or a good ventral shot to sex them.

I rehouse when the spider's legspan is greater than 1/2 the width or length of the enclosure. The only exception is when my spiders molts into a mature male. I'll keep them in the smaller enclosure unless it seems to be limiting their movements, but usually they're all leg, and keeping them in a smaller container works out find so they're not expending energy wandering all over the place.

From what I see above, your spider is on the fence of when I'd consider a rehouse. If you'd rather do it now, you could, but I don't think they'll have a problem waiting until their next molt.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Hi tarantula people

I have my A. Geniculata for a bit over a year and she's doing super good and I am having a lot of fun keeping her. She has molted 3 times already (every 4 months approx.) and I know I will have to rehouse her at some point into a larger enclosure. Do you guys think I'll have to rehouse after the next molt? Or can she stay a bit longer in this enclosure?

Also could you point me to some sexing guide? or is she still to small to tell?

cheers,
Egg View attachment 384401 View attachment 384401 View attachment 384401 View attachment 384402

My use of critical thinking says > Depends on size gain, wouldn't you think..

Sexing- google.

BassCatPIV

Arachnosquire
How long ago was its last molt? I just went through the process of rehousing my A Geniculata a few weeks ago. Your enclosure looks good. As said above, I think your borderline on doing a rehouse. What are the dimensions of its current setup?

EggSack

Arachnopeon
How long ago was its last molt? I just went through the process of rehousing my A Geniculata a few weeks ago. Your enclosure looks good. As said above, I think your borderline on doing a rehouse. What are the dimensions of its current setup?
Hi BassCatPIV,

the last molt was 4 weeks ago, so I guess I could rehouse now. The dimensions of the enclosure are 18 cm width, 30 cm length and 20 cm height.
When I rehouse I plan to put her in a cube of 30x30x30 cm, which should be ok as a final enclosure no?

Best,
Egg

Hi
when describing tarantulas age is irrelevant(as there are many variables that come in place that influence how tarantulas gain size over time)its better to state their DLS(Diagonal leg span) so members know how big is your spider compared to the size of the enclosure.
30x30x30 will be small as final enclosure but will do for a while.Dont forget to build some substrate as 30 cm height is a tad on the too high side
Think 45x45x30 or similar once it goes over 6,5 - 7 inch DLS
Regards Konstantin