When people are curious

Katiekooleyes

Arachnosquire
When people are curious about T's, what do you do?

Opening this up for friendly discussion, and possible unintended tips for those who end up in similar situations. Of course, we can't win them all. But when curiosity hits, what do you do?

I'll lead by an example.

Have a friend in the same building block (moved recently, hence why I've not been active for a while). Known her for a couple of years. Long story short, she's petrified of spiders. She used to visit me in my previous flat. I'll call her "Z" for now. Anyway, she was pre-warned about my animals when she used to visit. She's fine with snakes, but as I said, terrified of spiders.

When she first ended my previous place, she nearly didn't come in due to Wednesday (P. Ornata) being by the door (she's my lil' guard dog lol). She managed to move past her and settle down. Of course, Wednesday would move. Each time she did at first, my friend would worriedly ask "what's she doing?!" I had to reassure her that Wednesday was simply running her Wednesday errands.

She was nervous about Wednesday for a long time (she was 8cm DLS at the time). However, sher became curious with Effie, my Avic. Sp purple Peru. She was only 1.5cm at the time, and even now is only 3.5cm. However, she began to slowly fall in love with the small enclosure, the fact that she's a scavenger (pre-kills) atm and is small etc (oh, and she's baby pink with black toes lol). She's even got her head around molts and growth because of Effie.

Just the other day, she was comfortable enough (but still a bit nervous) about me lifting the enclosure lid so she can see Ripley (B. albopilosum) fully. She was unsure at first, but managed to lean in for a closer look and be ok with it.

A lot of this has come from the slow introduction of the idea that tarantulas don't give a damn about people, as long as we don't enter their world. And of course, many questions have been put to rest, with the question starting with "I saw a documentary that said..."

So back to you, the patient reader. How have you managed with someone who is trying to understand T's, or T keeping?

On the other hand, I got a friend who isn't keen on spiders (he's not deathly afraid of them, but would rather do without). He has a thing where he sees a big spider in his home, and calls it his "spider bro". The idea being, the bigger spider keeps away the little spiders. I don't know why, but I found that hilarious lol.

Last edited by a moderator:

EtienneN

Arachno-enigma
All my friends are cool or at least neutral towards my tarantulas. The one that was arachnophobic actually ended up letting my super chill G. pulchripes female walk over her hand on the floor. Just because she couldn’t be afraid of a spider named Muffin.

Katiekooleyes

Arachnosquire
All my friends are cool or at least neutral towards my tarantulas. The one that was arachnophobic actually ended up letting my super chill G. pulchripes female walk over her hand on the floor. Just because she couldn’t be afraid of a spider named Muffin.
That's so awesome. Glad your friend was able to come around to not fearing spiders.

Oddly enough, I've managed to tackle a few people with the fear of snakes, as one of my snakes is called Pickles. I always say, you can't be scared of something that's called Pickles lol

basin79

ArachnoGod
Falls into 2 categories. Those that like them and those that don't. Those that like them will ask questions to which I'll answer if I can.

Those that don't like them don't care so don't ask any questions.

That typed it matters not if friends like my pets or not. They still get sent a lot of pics of them.

DancingHare

Arachnopeon
I realize that not everyone wants to see big spider photos so I am generally careful where I send/post them. Usually I will ask "can I send you a spider picture". But if someone is interested or curious I'll eagerly talk to them!

FrDoc

Gen. 1:24-25
Arachnosupporter +
One of my acquaintances was so curious while visiting the spider room that by the end of the hour long conversation about tarantulas, his families history with 4H, and the gleam in his eye, it cost me a good size female LP. I gave it to him as I looked upon it as a good for the cause. You know, a gateway spider.

GalacticFurai

Arachnopeon
At first my family was somewhat negative about getting big hairy, mean spiders that want you for breakfast. After I got my first tarantula, an a. seemanni, we had a conversation about what to name her. My mother and step father warmed up to the spider, but my brother is still iffy about them. At this point, my mother is just about loving them, thinking they are cute and all, but still finds some parts of them creepy.
My friends? They don't really mention them, one of my best friends was really into them, but life gets in the way and we are no longer friends. Other than her, most others are neutral or negative, and don't actively try to understand them. I wish that they would tho
Right now pictures of them are mainly weapons of mass terror against them

Rigor Mortis

Arachnobaron
When people are curious about my Ts (which only come up into conversation because I let it drop that I have them) I try to be as polite as possible, even if I don't want to be. So if someone goes "That's disgusting why do you have them?" I respond with a curt smile and a "Because I like them." and explain their little quirks. My goal is to make my girls come off as not being the bloodthirsty arachnids people make them out to be by killing the curious with kindness.

MrsHaas

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
I turn into a human encyclopedia and start babbling facts and showing pictures of my beautiful collection. Unless the person says they are scared - then I stop talking about it completely so they don’t get triggered... I’m not their therapist and I don't want any drama lol - but most ppl that ask me about tarantulas end up more interested than appalled.

Minty

@londontarantulas
I talk about them so enthusiastically that I end up dragging people into the hobby. :rofl:

Katiekooleyes

Arachnosquire
So sorry, neglected my own thread.

Loving the responses. I think the general consensus is education. Tbh I think that's totally amazing. The amount of times I';ve been asked "how do tarantulas drink? How do they grow?" Or one of the best opening questions I've been asked "do they get scared?" As T owners, I'm certain we can all confidently answer that one humbly lol.

To me, it shows a lot of growth in a person when they say they are frightened of something, but become curious of it.

Aarantula

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Well, when I started in the hobby most people tended to be very “grossed out” when they hear about my tarantulas. However after years and years of me having them and being extremely enthusiastic about every little detail, the people I surround myself with have become used to it. Most of them will say things now like, “So how are the spiders?”, which I can tell comes from their genuine curiosity. As others have stated, the secret to owning an exotic animal is to be informed on what you have and be prepared to answer a lot of questions. People fear what they do not understand... so make them understand. :)

basin79

ArachnoGod
So sorry, neglected my own thread.

Loving the responses. I think the general consensus is education. Tbh I think that's totally amazing. The amount of times I';ve been asked "how do tarantulas drink? How do they grow?" Or one of the best opening questions I've been asked "do they get scared?" As T owners, I'm certain we can all confidently answer that one humbly lol.

To me, it shows a lot of growth in a person when they say they are frightened of something, but become curious of it.
I get comments on videos like, " I don't normally like spiders but......" and I'm scared of spiders/tarantulas/centipedes but that/those are beautiful".

It seems some are scared or THINK they don't like some inverts without knowing why. That's where I feel youtube helps as you get videos recommended that you wouldn't have ever thought about watching.

Forums like this phenomenal one let users show others pics/information to reassure them or just to open their eyes.

Instagram let's users tag their mates/significant others/family into posts. Now granted a lot are a wind up as they know they don't like them but some still reply positively.

Whilst the media (tabloids in the UK label false widows as deadly) seems to still be in the dark ages social media is definitely breaking down barriers.

MainMann

Arachnosquire
Most of my friends are either chill with them, or slightly grossed out/fearful of them. But most of them are just grossed out because they think it's an icky weird eight legged being, probably because of lack of education on Ts :p so for my friends that fall into that category i try my best to educate them by giving them cool facts or pics about spiders in general, and slowly but surely it seems to work on some of them.

But i do have one friend that is DEATHLY scared of them because of a bunch of bad run ins she had with a spider. But i respect her attitude in that she wants to get over her fear! So she tries her best to look at my Ts via my insta story highlights :p and by listening to my rants about spiders and such. Shes still deathly scared of them but i like her approach of "I wand to get over this fear" rather than "KILL THAT THING" :p

Sincerely, Maman

Rigor Mortis

Arachnobaron
Had a friend of my mum come over earlier this week and I asked her if she was afraid of spiders to which she replied, "Uhm, YES. DEATHLY." but we coaxed her into the spider room anyway because I love showing my Ts off. Even though she was mortified to look at them at first she warmed up to them after we told her about my B. hamorii's recent moult and she was quite fascinated. Showed her the moult, told her about the process and everything and she was kinda into it! It was a mix of "That's so cool!" and "They're still so creepy." which I'll take.

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
I don't get why T's keepers, very often, views themselves as persons that are living on the "bizarre" etc side of life. I mean, I'm Italian, I live in Italy, and I've never had too much issues about (notably, we even had a total arachnid ban, and my local prefecture still is waiting, since 2003, for my "spiders list" ih ih).

T's keepers are "strange", kinda "nerd" (?), or else. What you say, what you will say etc.

Mah, I say, on the other hand.

I say that certain people keeps common (and IMO boring) red fish, others keeps venomous spiders. That's all. Where's the issue?