When MALES suddenly become important and rare

Big_nito

TRISKELION
Old Timer
Im just wondering if its me or is it also happening to other hobbyists. When I started collecting Ts, im so particular with getting females as much as possible coz I know its much more valuable. I was pretty much successful in collecting the females of the species I want to collect and breed. But lately iv noticed that its getting harder and harder to find MM or PenM of some species (eg. C Fasciatum, GBBs). Is it just a co-incidence that my females molted when no males are available?

sharpfang

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Mikey likes it

(eg. C Fasciatum, GBBs). Is it just a co-incidence that my females molted when no males are available?
I have BOTH of those for ya - LOL {D

Are the Pulchras turning Black now :}

Have a great day bud! - Jason :)

billopelma

Arachnolord
Old Timer
G. pulchra seems to me as one species that leans toward more females, though I have no real evidence. I've had 6 GBB's over the years (3 currently) and ALL have been male...:wall: (and all were bought as tiny slings).

Bill

Anastasia

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I have a couple species I didnt see males for quiet sometimes
here is an example Genus Lasiodorides, species polycuspulatus and striatus

Big_nito

TRISKELION
Old Timer
Thats my thing. Is there such truth to the myth that certain species tends to favor more female outcomes than male?

Big_nito

TRISKELION
Old Timer
G. pulchra seems to me as one species that leans toward more females, though I have no real evidence. I've had 6 GBB's over the years (3 currently) and ALL have been male...:wall: (and all were bought as tiny slings).

Bill

Really? Damn, mine is the opposite. I got 6 GBBs from paul becker (all slings). 3 turns out female, 1 not sure but kinda male and 1 male. I hope when they become mature he wont be eaten though. Lol. Thats why im stocking up on juvie males lately. Lol..

Anastasia

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Thats my thing. Is there such truth to the myth that certain species tends to favor more female outcomes than male?
I really doubt, but there is such thing when have so many of a kind and folks think they always will be available and treated poorly and stop paying attention and stop producing for whatever reason that might be...
so females are still around but males are gone, its happens more often
other, is more difficult species to breed/produce, then it have to depend on import of new animals where they caught in the wild or produced by wild caught specimen

NikiP

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I wanted to buy a possible E. murinus that's at a pet store and freshly molted. Seems like neither I nor another poster, with a freshly molted female, can find a male. Going to go ahead and start looking for a PU male for the E. murinus female I do have.

Got my fingers crossed I can find a MM for my freshly molted MF P. cambridgei.

Anastasia

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
That is why I always suggest, if you have a female of certain specie, buy/trade/get some spiderlings for back ups, that is always worked for me
because thinking "" I get this female now and worry getting male later" not always work
so here you go

Big_nito

TRISKELION
Old Timer
I really doubt, but there is such thing when have so many of a kind and folks think they always will be available and treated poorly and stop paying attention and stop producing for whatever reason that might be...
so females are still around but males are gone, its happens more often
other, is more difficult species to breed/produce, then it have to depend on import of new animals where they caught in the wild or produced by wild caught specimen

Your absolutely right. After mating, the male would either end up being eaten or just die naturally where as the female would have more years ahead of her.... Hmmm interesting thought from you anastasia. Very true...

Big_nito

TRISKELION
Old Timer
That is why I always suggest, if you have a female of certain specie, buy/trade/get some spiderlings for back ups, that is always worked for me
because thinking "" I get this female now and worry getting male later" not always work
so here you go

Thats what im doing now ever since I got so frustrated with the GBB breeding failure. The good thing with Ts, there is no such thing as inbreeding issues (am I right?)...

barabootom

Arachnolord
Old Timer
so here you go
This is really good advice. It's also more economical. I'd rather buy several slings and watch them grow than spend $100 plus after shipping on a male someone else raised.

natebugman

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
You'll have to let me know if you have any luck finding any L. striatus. My female is getting up there in years and I'd love a chance to breed her or at least find another.

Moltar

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Timing is very important with breeding tarantulas. Just because a given species is fairly common (C. fasciatum, for example) doesn't mean that there will be a MM of that species available to you during the window when the female is ready. You could have ten more specimens of that species but not one single fertile, mature male to do the dirty dance with your female.

That's why you sometimes will see fairly urgent posts looking for a MM of a certain species. It's not that they're necessarily rare, just that they need to be "ripe" and they're only ripe for a few months or so.

rosehaired1979

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Just send them to MizM they will all turn male lol

I have 2 Ts I don't think there are any males out there course these 2 are semi rare to - G.chalcothrix and the G.grossa . (both aren't mature yet but are female)