When life gives you tarantulas...

justanotherTkeeper

Arachnosquire
... you make holes in things. Holes in lots of things. Things you never imagined putting holes in. Shoe boxes. Rice containers. Sauce cups. Storage containers. Peanut butter jars.

And the resulting mess and/or burning stench becomes a way of life

Attachments

rusted180

Arachnosquire
yeeeeeeep! i hear ya. just be careful to completely clean off the peanut butter. make sure to the point where you don't feel any greasy surface.. tbh, i would skip using a peanut butter jar..

@viper69 once told me to skip using an old kimchi tub even though it was completely clean...

they way i see it, even though we dont smell ( in my case i still smelled a faint stench of the fermented cabbage in the tub), or feel what was in the jar... doesnt mean its still not there that wouldnt harm the spider.

hope that helps!

CommanderBacon

Arachnobaron
Drilled these suckers last night:

IMG_3696.JPG

Glad I cut up a trash bag to use as a tarp to keep swarf from getting everywhere. Still gotta vacuum tho.

I'm picky about what I use and don't like re-using food containiners for my Ts, but your kimchi or peanut butter jars should be fine as long as you use Dawn or something to clean the grease off and the plastic is food grade and BPA-free, IMO. I assume if something is vinegar-y like kimchi, it would be stored in a food grade BPA-free plastic and should be fine for your T.

RezonantVoid

Hollow Knight
Was very concerned you were gonna say "...make tarantula-aid" as a direct answer to the thread title, but nice save

rusted180

Arachnosquire
Drilled these suckers last night:

View attachment 364207

Glad I cut up a trash bag to use as a tarp to keep swarf from getting everywhere. Still gotta vacuum tho.

I'm picky about what I use and don't like re-using food containiners for my Ts, but your kimchi or peanut butter jars should be fine as long as you use Dawn or something to clean the grease off and the plastic is food grade and BPA-free, IMO. I assume if something is vinegar-y like kimchi, it would be stored in a food grade BPA-free plastic and should be fine for your T.
WHOAAA!!! where did you get those??? they look nice. whats the size too??

CommanderBacon

Arachnobaron
WHOAAA!!! where did you get those??? they look nice. whats the size too??
They're just cheap plastic shoeboxes from Daiso. They are identical to the crystal clear high heel shoeboxes from the Container Store but cost $4 as opposed to $10.

Size is 7.5 x 11.1 x h5.8 in

Craig73

Arachnoangel
They're just cheap plastic shoeboxes from Daiso. They are identical to the crystal clear high heel shoeboxes from the Container Store but cost $4 as opposed to $10.

So do we get the early inside scoop on “Nachos”? Inquiring minds want to know.

CommanderBacon

Arachnobaron
That's for Subcomandante Nachos, my juvenile male T vagans!
IMG_3699.jpg
He molted recently and outgrew his enclosure. He's a little too high strung for this setup now, so I'm gonna upgrade him. IMG_3700.jpg

basin79

ArachnoGod
Get yourself a decent soldering iron with temp control (around £30) and you can make tiny holes in sling pots to big holes in RUBS all without ANY mess and soft edges.

EnigmaNyx

Arachnoknight
Get yourself a decent soldering iron with temp control (around £30) and you can make tiny holes in sling pots to big holes in RUBS all without ANY mess and soft edges.
But I thought the jagged edges built character?

rusted180

Arachnosquire

Niceeeee! Gotta hit that up now!!
Btw.. does the lid shut tight? Dont want my h. Sp pumpkin patch to lift it up and take off running! 🤭

CommanderBacon

Arachnobaron
Niceeeee! Gotta hit that up now!!
Btw.. does the lid shut tight? Dont want my h. Sp pumpkin patch to lift it up and take off running! 🤭
Actually it does not, so I use a small piece of painter's tape on the sides or a heavy item on the lid until I've found something I like. I might go with magnets. All of the locking hasps I've found are either huge or ugly. I'm still thinking about cotter pins, though.

EnigmaNyx

Arachnoknight
There’s little ring magnets, begin with an N, that they sell at Joanns. They’re really small but extremely powerful. It’s like $1.50 for 12.

CommanderBacon

Arachnobaron
There’s little ring magnets, begin with an N, that they sell at Joanns. They’re really small but extremely powerful. It’s like $1.50 for 12.
That's actually a great idea! Thanks! I just snagged a pack of 50 little ones from the internets. I need to grab some epoxy to fix them on but this should work great!