When is the time to start caring for a aggressive species?

Aspiring Mr T

Arachnopeon
When was the moment you decided, ‘I’m ready to look after an OBT or Maculata for example (I hear they’re for the more advanced keepers). What indicators or skills should a hobbyist work on before moving ip the chain of keeping?

Paul1126

Arachnoangel
Probably when you feel ready, understand they are faster and a lot more defensive. Most people have no problems keeping old worlds it is all down to whenever you feel ready..

boina

Lady of the mites
I know that as a new keeper I've made many mistakes that I wouldn't want to make with species with a more potent venom. I had a Hapalopus race out of its enclosure and disappear because I cleaned too vigorously too close to its burrow (found it on the couch (!!!) in the folds of the couch blanket), I had a Xenesthis get out of its enclosure at night because I didn't realize how much they could flatten their abdoment to squeeze through slits (found it behind some shelves), had a docile B. auratum jump at me and slap me because I was too careless etc.

That's why I'm a strong supporter of the ladder system. You want to get your beginner mistakes out the way first, before you make them with species that can do much more damage - and everyone will invariably make beginner mistakes. It's impossible to account for all variables by just watching youtube. I know, I tried.

If you feel comfortable that you made or nearly made all relevant mistakes, get an OW. Maybe don't start with an OBT or H. mac but with something easier to deal with. Yes, some OBTs are calmer, but mine is a true cliche - it will chase everything out of it's enclosure, including my tongs grabbing the water bowl, and it's incredibly fast, even though it has a large enclosure and an established, deep burrow.

Aspiring Mr T

Arachnopeon
I know that as a new keeper I've made many mistakes that I wouldn't want to make with species with a more potent venom. I had a Hapalopus race out of its enclosure and disappear because I cleaned too vigorously too close to its burrow (found it on the couch (!!!) in the folds of the couch blanket), I had a Xenesthis get out of its enclosure at night because I didn't realize how much they could flatten their abdoment to squeeze through slits (found it behind some shelves), had a docile B. auratum jump at me and slap me because I was too careless etc.

That's why I'm a strong supporter of the ladder system. You want to get your beginner mistakes out the way first, before you make them with species that can do much more damage - and everyone will invariably make beginner mistakes. It's impossible to account for all variables by just watching youtube. I know, I tried.

If you feel comfortable that you made or nearly made all relevant mistakes, get an OW. Maybe don't start with an OBT or H. mac but with something easier to deal with. Yes, some OBTs are calmer, but mine is a true cliche - it will chase everything out of it's enclosure, including my tongs grabbing the water bowl, and it's incredibly fast, even though it has a large enclosure and an established, deep burrow.
That’s good advice. I’ve kept 2 tarantulas in the past, both adults - A Pulchra and T.Blondi (grandfather stage). Both were quite docile although my BB tried to escape when it saw me open the enclosure. This was about 7/8 years ago though and I’ve only kept mantids and scorpions since.

This time around I’ve got Juveniles and a sling. Although the sling is a Darlingi. I’ve heard things about them. That’s why I ask because I wasn’t sure about it and she/he was free.

spideyspinneret78

Arachnoprince
I agree with what a lot of others have said, it all comes down to when you feel ready. If you've done your research and have had a few tarantulas beforehand, I honestly don't think you'll have an issue. I absolutely don't think that a true beginner should get an old world spider as their first tarantula, but as someone who's cautious and has a bit of experience, you'll probably be fine. Also, you mentioned that your new spider is a sling. This will give you a chance to gain more experience with it before it's an adult spider that could potentially do more damage.

Vanisher

Arachnoking
Old Timer
When was the moment you decided, ‘I’m ready to look after an OBT or Maculata for example (I hear they’re for the more advanced keepers). What indicators or skills should a hobbyist work on before moving ip the chain of keeping?
When i had build up experience. Maybe 2 years into the hobby

Teds ts and Inverts

Arachnobaron
Like others have said, when you feel ready, feel free to give it a shot. You just have to realize what you’re dealing with, as almost all OWs are very fast and won’t hesitate to defend themselves.

I will say that if you don’t feel prepared to take on OWs but still want to keep them in the future, get an Ephebopus or Psalmopoeus sp. They behave like OWs but don’t have quite as potent venom, so they make good gateway species for those that want to keep OWs in the future :)

Tim Benzedrine

Prankster Possum
Old Timer
and it's incredibly fast,
And I think their speed is one of the things you must be the most prepared for. You might have seen a video of them putting it in high gear, but it really has to be seen in person to fully appreciate it.
Technically speaking, that is how most bites are delivered. It isn't a matter of how aggressive they are or how potent their bite is, it is a matter that if they are so inclined, they can make that delivery at lightning speed. If they merely stood their ground as a reliable response, you would at least know what to expect.

I've just recently ventured into the OW scene with a C. marshalii and about seven months later, a second, C. darlingi, both s'lings, so I'm by no means an experienced keeper of OWs. Since I'm not, I don't feel I am qualified to offer advice. I've kept NWs for probably at least a couple decades and even now, I'm always learning something
But I fully realize that I cannot underestimate their ability to teleport. And they do not lose a whole lot of that ability with growth. There are several NW species that are speedy, especially in the s'ling stage (my new C. chromatus moves faster than any of my previous s'lings have) but they don't pack a wallop when it comes to venom.

I was tending to the darlingi, and it decided to bolt back into its nearby tunnel. But I did not see it run into it. It was out one moment and gone the next. It literally seemed to "teleport" due to the fact that it was gone in the literal blink of an eye.
Naturally, one can not think that quickly, so it is very important to remember not to underestimate their ability in that area and be prepared ahead of time.

Having offered this "advice" I fully expect that I will be posting an escape announcement or worse, someday. :D

Aspiring Mr T

Arachnopeon
I’ve never been bitten by a T only pinched and nearly stung by a Scorpion. I’ve been munched on by a mantid investigating my what appears to be delicious hand lol

Thanks for your advice. I will be careful but I guess it’s one of those things that no matter how much you prepare you can never truly do so.

Will keep you updated :) And thanks all for your responses and valuable advice :)

CommanderBacon

Arachnobaron
As others have mentioned, only you will know when you're ready.

Also, it's not a contest, so I encourage people to stick to their guns and not be pushed into something they aren't ready for. I keep seeing flippant edgelord OW keepers tell new keepers who express trepidation about keeping pokies things like "Why not? Poecilotheria metallica was my first/second tarantula. They aren't that bad."

Taking a fast species with potent venom into your home is an important personal decision that individual keepers need to make for themselves. Calling someone a coward for carefully considering OW ownership and deciding they aren't ready yet benefits absolutely no one.

mack1855

Arachnoangel
Arachnosupporter +
What indicators or skills should a hobbyist work on before moving ip the chain of keeping?
When you loose the desire to handle the animal,learn to keep your hands out of the enclosure,get your
catch cup skills down.I sure understand the "ladder system",or whatever,does work for some keepers,not for
others.

jrh3

Araneae
Arachnosupporter +
After I got a few rehouses under my belt, I went right into OW. I actually didn’t like spiders until I got Tarantulas’s now they are my main hobby. I have respect for them. I plan not to get bit every time I open an enclosure.

One piece of advice for starting out I can give is always keep something between you and your Tarantula when rehousing. That is the main times I have had them try to bolt. For instance make a catch cup with holes to fit a brush in it over the opening to persuade the T out.

Brachyfan

Deactivated account
After I got a few rehouses under my belt, I went right into OW. I actually didn’t like spiders until I got Tarantulas’s now they are my main hobby. I have respect for them. I plan not to get bit every time I open an enclosure.

One piece of advice for starting out I can give is always keep something between you and your Tarantula when rehousing. That is the main times I have had them try to bolt. For instance make a catch cup with holes to fit a brush in it over the opening to persuade the T out.
I go into this zone while doing rehouses. It is close to what I experience playing shows when I know there is a lot riding on that gig. Or competing in martial arts tournaments when I was younger. Heart rate elevates, breathing gets heavier and slows down and I become aware of everything. My perception of time slows down as well. Sometimes I get this when I do maintanence with an open enclosure as well. Every move counts and I have more time to think. I am curious to see if other members have this occur as well?

I believe this would aid me in keeping old worlds but for me I have no interest as I have a lot of other animals and see no reason to take the risk.

I have got into some more feisty new worlds though. And went through what the OP is asking about.Started with a Tliltocatl albopilosum. Got some feistier Brachypelma (boehmei, baumgarteni) and that was a stepping stone to getting an Acanthoscurria Geniculata sling. Which was a stepping stone to getting a Pterinopelma sazimai juvie. With the goal of getting a Chromatopelma cyaneopubescens eventually. Not sure how much faster the GBB would be compared to the P saz but it's a step in the right direction :)

I agree about a ladder system.

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
"Aggressive" is a very wrong term when it comes to T's. While the species mentioned here are indeed defensive, the single specimen temperament always vary, so you never know. Save for the arboreals, the big majority of OW's T's are pretty easy to care since they are basically obligate burrowers or 'just a bit less' obligate burrowers. Ventilation is important, especially with the Asian ones.

So, once you are comfortable with various rehouse and the 'how to' of the care etc you are ready, but only if you stop to consider those "aggressive", otherwise you will fear your T's.

:bored:

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
When you aren't afraid of going to the hospital, having your heart's beat change due to being tagged, etc

Myers

Arachnopeon
The ladder system is quite a good idea, but if you feel you are ready, go for it. Just use common sense, yes they are fast but my old worlds all run to their hides if im opening the enclosure. if you get a threat posture leave it alone. Respect the t and its enclosure and you will be ok. As far as being tagged etc iall my years in the t hobby its never happened.

Jess S

Arachnobaron
Only you will know when you're ready and able to prevent and deal with those 'worst case' scenarios, i.e. escape attempts during rehouses etc.

Whenever I want to order a sling of a new species, I always try to imagine being sent an adult specimen instead. If the thought of unboxing an adult gives me pause, then I know I'm not ready for that species yet.

BasedGod

Arachnopeon
Think I got 3 OW T's together at first, haven't had a problem at all. Just gotta know what to expect. Now i'm up to 60+ Ts haha.