When is the best time to handle T?

AriannaChantel

Arachnopeon
Hi, I was wondering when is the best time to start handling my T. I am 13 and just got a Rose hair for my first one. So what my question is how long at the min should i wait to hold her?

Ungoliant

Malleus Aranearum
Staff member
Hi, I was wondering when is the best time to start handling my T. I am 13 and just got a Rose hair for my first one. So what my question is how long at the min should i wait to hold her?
From the other thread:

Handling should occur very sparingly, if that. It's suggested that you don't handle them as it doesn't benefit the T in any way and even a short fall could be fatal. To answer your question: I don't think any amount of time you wait for the T to get acclimated will reduce the risk of an accident. You're also able to start you own threads to ask questions for future reference, making it easy for people to see your post and respond. Good luck with your first T and feel free to ask any questions about husbandry if they come up.

Amy31fife

Arachnopeon
Some roses are a bit defensive. Obviously some don't like being handled but your better to wait til settled and possibly fed maybe a day or two after feeding? If you do want to handle best at floor and obviously extremely carefully. How long you had?

The Grym Reaper

Arachnoreaper
Approximately 2 days after forever...

Jokes aside, you shouldn't really handle them, it stresses them out and some Rosies are prone to "mood swings"as it is.

nicodimus22

Arachnomancer
Arachnosupporter
Tarantulas should be handled as frequently as you would handle goldfish. Both lack the brain power to enjoy it or get used to it, and both are at a high risk of dying from it. It's a selfish act, but some people are going to put animals at risk no matter what you tell them.

bryverine

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Some roses are a bit defensive. Obviously some don't like being handled but your better to wait til settled and possibly fed maybe a day or two after feeding?
Some?! I would be willing to bet you a pretty penny (maybe even a pretty dollar) that NO TARANTULA likes to be handled by a giant monster that could eat or drop them.

On that note, it can be done. Be careful, they cannot be tamed. They is dumb animuls.
They don't get anything out of it, but if you must, have a catch cup ready and do it low to (read "on") the floor.

D Sherlod

Arachnoknight
Tarantulas should be handled as frequently as you would handle goldfish. Both lack the brain power to enjoy it or get used to it, and both are at a high risk of dying from it. It's a selfish act, but some people are going to put animals at risk no matter what you tell them.
What,,,,, I can't handle my gold fish,,,,,don't tell him that.... he comes to the top and let's me pet him:astonished:

PanzoN88

Arachnodemon
As many have already said, handling is not recommended. while some do handle, it is important to make sure the tarantula is in the mood before even attempting to handle. Regardless of mood, all tarantulas are unpredictable.

Blue Jaye

Arachnobaron
Ts really don't enjoy being handled. While some seem to, it's really no more than tolerance really.

Amy31fife

Arachnopeon
Some?! I would be willing to bet you a pretty penny (maybe even a pretty dollar) that NO TARANTULA likes to be handled by a giant monster that could eat or drop them.

On that note, it can be done. Be careful, they cannot be tamed. They is dumb animuls.
They don't get anything out of it, but if you must, have a catch cup ready and do it low to (read "on") the floor.
I wouldn't say handle them regularly hell no that's not what i meant lol. They aren't really pets you should be holding but i mean more so for transferring into bigger containers or that

Andrea82

Arachnoemperor
="Amy31fife, post: 2604409, member: 119another wouldn't say handle them regularly hell no that's not what i meant lol. They aren't really pets you should be holding but i mean more so for transferring into bigger containers or that
You don't need to handle them to get them in another enclosure. Just get a plastic cup, put it over the T, slide a piece of cardboard under it, place it in the new enclosure, slide away cardboard, remove cup and you're done. ;)
@OP, please don't handle. Especially not a 'rosie', they can go from zero to evil in the blink of an eye. If you're bitten, you'll fling it off you, which will probably kill it.
These creatures, despite their reputation, are quite fragile. It doesn't take much for them to go splat on the floor.....

Amy31fife

Arachnopeon
You don't need to handle them to get them in another enclosure. Just get a plastic cup, put it over the T, slide a piece of cardboard under it, place it in the new enclosure, slide away cardboard, remove cup and you're done. ;)
@OP, please don't handle. Especially not a 'rosie', they can go from zero to evil in the blink of an eye. If you're bitten, you'll fling it off you, which will probably kill it.
These creatures, despite their reputation, are quite fragile. It doesn't take much for them to go splat on the floor.....
Lol my red knees in one of them ridiculous glass lil vivs with sliding doors it's impossible to get anything into that. A friend told me which one to get to make access easier though

The Grym Reaper

Arachnoreaper
Literally the only time I handle my Tarantulas is if a sling bolts out of the enclosure and onto my hand, I use a vial/catch cup/modified 2L bottle (dependent on size) to transfer Tarantulas for rehousing.

Moakmeister

Arachnodemon

Stop spreading your lies, bryverine. All my charanchulas come when called. They have a highly developed ganglion that allows them to comprehend anthropomorphism.
-Amoeba