When is a female p metallica able to breed?

bradpaden

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
At what age or size is a p metallica able to breed. I've been told that at 4-5 inches they could produce a small egg sack. Any opinions on this would be appreciated.

Jacobchinarian

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
About 60% of their full size. Sorry I can't give a more detailed answer but I haven't researched p metallica and dont remember their size.

bradpaden

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I think 8 is a good average so 4-5 should be good. Are there any issues that could arise from trying to breed her early? Also what are the chances that a mature male would eat her instead if she's not matured.

Jacobchinarian

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Iv never bred before but I'm gonna in two weeks so I can't be all that reliable. Anyway how big is yours ?

syndicate

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
I think 8 is a good average so 4-5 should be good. Are there any issues that could arise from trying to breed her early? Also what are the chances that a mature male would eat her instead if she's not matured.
8 inches? :eek:
-Chris

bradpaden

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Ok cool I've never seen an adult. So at 4 1/2 inches she's good to go then hugh? Awesome! What's a max size? About 6?

---------- Post added at 11:30 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:18 PM ----------

So what's the chances of the larger male eating the female?

Fran

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
About 37.5% chances...
Man, some questions are just imposible to answer.

Fran

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
More than 0 and less than infinite...
Yeah I mean...
Im more than glad to help, and if I dont know the answer I will research it but, sometimes one have to understand that there are more questions than answers.

Merfolk

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
They don't need to reach full size, and P metallica is widely known as one of the smallest Pokies. I would wait for at least 5 inches LS for this species.

dianedfisher

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Sclerotization of the spermathecae is very useful in determining the sexual maturity of most species. Examine your females' exuvium after each molt and observe the gradual darkening of the spermathecae. The spermathecae of young Poecilotheria is very, very clear and difficult to see. As the female ages the spermathecae becomes more visible and at adult sizes it darkens to point where it is readily visible. With magnification, as your female begins to reach sexual maturity you should be able to see dark spots which grow closer together with each successive molt. I use 50% darkening and at least 5-6 months between molts as criteria for determining sexual maturity. Other factors enter into my decision. I don't like to pair up a huge male with a female who is much smaller. Diane

bradpaden

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Yeah the size difference is my biggest concern. She's about 4 1/2 in he's abou 5 1/2. I'm just worried hed eat her instead of the other way around. I hear this is not at all common though if not altogether unheard of. Thoughts on this?

Fran

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Anything can happen, to be honest. Just be ready to jump on the with a cup, if you see it getting ugly.

dianedfisher

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Anything can happen, to be honest. Just be ready to jump on the with a cup, if you see it getting ugly.
Generally Poecilotheria pair up amicably, but there are rogue females in all species who are just stone-cold killers. My P.regalis is one and repeatedly attacks male companions. I also have a H.maculata that immediately upon mating savages her mate. Preparing yourself to intercede and having the tools on hand to do so are recommended. Frankly, at my age, I don't want a Poecilotheria bite side-lining me. I use a large breeder box and allow most of my T's to "find" one another. Other than the previously mentioned females, most of my girls treat their dates with courtesy and affection after about 48 hours. Sometimes neither tarantula moves from their habitat opened within the breeder box for 36-48 hours. BTW, a one inch size difference is pretty minimal. At 4.5 inches I wouldn't hesitate to hook your pair up depending on your female's last molt date.
Diane

Pociemon

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
I would say go for it. Give it a try, and maybe you get lucky. P metallica females a usually not that hard on the males. I just paired 2 p metallica females, one female is huge and it went smooth. The other female is young, but mature, and smaller than the male if you measure in legspan, but much more heavy build. She did make a charge the first time, but the male stood his ground and everything work out just fine. Saw insertions on both females.

dianedfisher

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I would say go for it. Give it a try, and maybe you get lucky. P metallica females a usually not that hard on the males. I just paired 2 p metallica females, one female is huge and it went smooth. The other female is young, but mature, and smaller than the male if you measure in legspan, but much more heavy build. She did make a charge the first time, but the male stood his ground and everything work out just fine. Saw insertions on both females.
Looks like I'll keep my fingers crossed for good luck , Thomas. 2-P.metallica sacs would be very nice. {D One of my males just molted yesterday, but I'm unable to determine if he finally matured. If not this time, then next for sure.
Diane

Pociemon

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Looks like I'll keep my fingers crossed for good luck , Thomas. 2-P.metallica sacs would be very nice. {D One of my males just molted yesterday, but I'm unable to determine if he finally matured. If not this time, then next for sure.
Diane
Hi Di

Take him up in a wine glass then. You should be able to see clearly there if he is mature. It is easy to see on my male;)

But i hope i will get succes, but not to sure about the younger female, migt be too soon. But the big one wich i have shown you pictures of has made 2 sacks earlier.