When i turn on heat, spider comes out of hide. Is that a good thing?

sid1221

Arachnopeon
I've had an adult female B. vagans for a couple of weeks now and she rarely ever leaves her hide, which she has burrowed a lot under. Her aquarium is usually 70-72 degrees.

But if I turn on our heater (central air), then she comes out when it gets to upper 70s in there.

Is that a sign she was cold before or that is she is uncomfortable now with the heat?

TownesVanZandt

Arachnoprince
They will be more active and eat more the higher the temperatures, but they should do fine around 72 degrees F. I keep all mine in a room with temperatures around 21-24 C, which is around 72-75 F

Introvertebrate

Arachnoprince
Arachnosupporter
I've had an adult female B. vagans for a couple of weeks now and she rarely ever leaves her hide, which she has burrowed a lot under. Her aquarium is usually 70-72 degrees.

But if I turn on our heater (central air), then she comes out when it gets to upper 70s in there.

Is that a sign she was cold before or that is she is uncomfortable now with the heat?
Sounds like you found the key to bringing them out.

beaker41

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Vagans can be quite nocturnal at times , maybe also responding to light cycles ? It is naturally much colder at night in arid climates

edesign

AB FB Group Moderatr
Old Timer
72 is barely warm enough indoors for me lol. I don't like seeing my invert room get below 70. Chances are it's just taking advantage of a heat source like TVZ mentioned and wanting to warm itself up. Or it is detecting the air movement and investigating.

My vagans hid for the first two months or so I had it. I saw it for a few days then it sealed itself in its hide not to be seen for many, many moons. It was in premolt. Since then it (immature male) has become quite visible and is often seen just outside its burrow entrance. Give it time, my other Brachy, an albopilosum, also hid for the first couple months, molted, and then was much more visible. It was skittish for the first few weeks but eventually became a bit more bold but would always hide if I touched the tank. It's back in premolt I suspect as its been scarce for the last month or so.

Estein

Arachnoknight
My guess would also be that warmer temperatures are causing her to be a little more active. Like other arachnids, tarantulas are poikilothermic and have a highly variable internal body temperature, often relying on behavioral adaptations (like basking or burrowing) to maintain a comfortable temperature. It could be that your T is sensing the temperature difference outside the burrow and moving to a more optimal area to warm up. I'd suggest that it isn't a sign that she is now more or less comfortable than she was before, but that she's just reacting to normal temp changes as she naturally would. No need for concern. :)

In any case, enjoy seeing your gal out in the open! My B. vagans just molted, so I can't wait to see her appear again. :happy: