When does C. versicolor reveal its gender?

jimmyjohns

Arachnopeon
Is there a specific size or number of molts a tarantula typically will take to develop the spermathecae or other unique features if its a female? I saw someone selling a 1.5"-1.75" C. versicolor as a female but unsexed spiderlings the same size, so naturally I was wondering how they could tell the difference if they are the same size.

Craig73

Arachnoangel
Welcome! I’m terrible at sexing, but going out on a limb it was likely done through sexing the molt. Since they don’t all molt at the same time, or some molts are just not intact enough, it could explain why some are sexed and others are not.

Also, sometimes you see ‘suspect’ in front of male/female. Those are not a definitive confirmation.

jimmyjohns

Arachnopeon
Welcome! I’m terrible at sexing, but going out on a limb it was likely done through sexing the molt. Since they don’t all molt at the same time, or some molts are just not intact enough, it could explain why some are sexed and others are not.

Also, sometimes you see ‘suspect’ in front of male/female. Those are not a definitive confirmation.
Makes sense, thanks!

jrh3

Araneae
Arachnosupporter +
Depending on the species, I can generally sex around 1”-2” with a molt if i get lucky.

It is easier said that done. Sometimes I don’t get a good molt to sex until around 3”.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Ventral by 2.5”, you see white on female-easiest Avic to vent sex!!

Misty Day

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Here a male and female pair I had at 2-2.5 inches.

Female

aaaaaaaaaaa.jpg

Male

aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa.jpg