When do you clean out your Ts?

Avic_Addict

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I finally got round to doing a full clean out of my G.Roseas' tank last night - its needed doing for a while but I've been reluctant as she is one of those physchotic chiles prone to mood swings - she's usually very highly strung and aggressive, and last time I tried to move her she bolted up and down the tank, threat postured, refused point blank to move (I tried to nudge her off of her rock and she ended up dragging it behind her) and was generally a pain in the ass. Saying that, sometimes - usually just before and during she goes into her 1 - 2 month premoult period - she will be as quiet as a lamb.

So when last night she refused a cricket - always the first sign she's about to enter early premoult - I took advantage and was able to slowly and gently nudge her into another container without any fuss at all. I did the clean out and put her back in and she was good as gold the whole time. Knowing her shed cycle I'd now say she has about 4 - 8 weeks to adjust, web up and build a moult mat before she pops.

So, when it comes to cleaning out, do you try and time it to fit in with your T's most co-operative point of their cycle, or do you just do it when it needs doing? Also, how do you deal with T's that are as difficult as mine usually is - the ones that grab hold of something and 100% refuse to budge, or cram themselves into a corner so you have to struggle to get them out? Do you have any special tricks or tips? Would love to hear other people's cleaning out disaster/triumph stories.

Hedorah99

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I finally got round to doing a full clean out of my G.Roseas' tank last night - its needed doing for a while but I've been reluctant as she is one of those physchotic chiles prone to mood swings - she's usually very highly strung and aggressive, and last time I tried to move her she bolted up and down the tank, threat postured, refused point blank to move (I tried to nudge her off of her rock and she ended up dragging it behind her) and was generally a pain in the ass. Saying that, sometimes - usually just before and during she goes into her 1 - 2 month premoult period - she will be as quiet as a lamb.

So when last night she refused a cricket - always the first sign she's about to enter early premoult - I took advantage and was able to slowly and gently nudge her into another container without any fuss at all. I did the clean out and put her back in and she was good as gold the whole time. Knowing her shed cycle I'd now say she has about 4 - 8 weeks to adjust, web up and build a moult mat before she pops.

So, when it comes to cleaning out, do you try and time it to fit in with your T's most co-operative point of their cycle, or do you just do it when it needs doing? Also, how do you deal with T's that are as difficult as mine usually is - the ones that grab hold of something and 100% refuse to budge, or cram themselves into a corner so you have to struggle to get them out? Do you have any special tricks or tips? Would love to hear other people's cleaning out disaster/triumph stories.

The only time I do a full cleanis if there is a mold outbreak. Considering I use peat and keep it fairly dry, this is not often.

To get them to move, I have found chopsticks and a deli cup work well.I just kinda use the chopstick to prod them into the cup, or just to move out of the corner and then scoop them into the cup.

Drachenjager

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
i have never cleaned one out lol well i have cleaned them out if i moved a T or somethign but not just cleaned it to clean it. unless you count wiping the poo off the glass or picking it and left over food and molts off the substrate cleaning lol

Mina

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I only clean when they need it. I find that regular spot cleaning does wonders for keeping them clean. Pick up cricket remains, scoop poop, wipe down walls. If you do that regularly a full scale clean isn't really needed unless you get mold, mites or bugs.

phil jones

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I only clean when they need it. I find that regular spot cleaning does wonders for keeping them clean. Pick up cricket remains, scoop poop, wipe down walls. If you do that regularly a full scale clean isn't really needed unless you get mold, mites or bugs.
yes i to would only do a full scale clean out if the - t - had mites or bugs and i am happy to say i never had any ---- phil

kristal_kaos

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Ok, this helps me too....I was thinking when it needed to be cleaned....the only tanks that look like they may have to be cleaned soon are the avic tanks, lol....but I will try to spot clean like mentioned, much easier.;)

Midnightrdr456

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I think cleaning it out is good. Every other week i just stick the vacuum in on very light setting and suck up odd pieces of left over prey and such :liar: :liar:

I just look for signs that it needs to be cleaned like everyone else has stated so far.

P. Novak

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I do maintance every or every other day so there is no need to really fully clean out the tank. Only if there is a severe mold or mite outbreak. The Ts do me a favor though, they always put cricket remains in or around the waterdish, plus if they really want it cleaned, they'll just take the web or "dirty stuff" to the opposite side of the tank. Then I'd remove it.

mr_jacob7

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I just look at my guys' cages and pick out any poop i see. and crix. i've never done a full cleanout, but then again, i've only had mine for around 3 mo...