When do T's regenerate?

matthias

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
My L. parahybana just molted two days ago. After inspecting the molt we noticed that the fangs were both broken off. So we checked and his new fangs seem to be there but for lack of a better term look red and bloody.

Which sparked a debate, when exactly do T's regenerate lost limbs and fangs?

Mina says they re-grow them under the old exo-skeleton and then they have them after they molt. So my little (5") para won't have fangs till his next molt.

I suggest they re-grow lost limbs AFTER they molt before the exo-skeleton hardens?

Who is correct?

David_F

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
If they (legs, fangs, whatever) break off shortly before a molt it can take molt or two. If they're lost a while before the molt, though, they may have time to grow back completely before the molt. It depends on the appendage lost, the age/size of the spider, and other factors.

Drachenjager

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
to answer the question you asked... they grow the new apendage under the old exoskeleton and reveal them when they molt. so your spider will be fangless until it molts again. HOWEVER it may molt again soon as a corrective molt

Nerri1029

Chief Cook n Bottlewasher
Old Timer
In my experience new appendages i.e. legs, new ones are smaller then the older ones for a few molts as the room inside the old exuvium allows.

julesaussies

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
to answer the question you asked... they grow the new apendage under the old exoskeleton and reveal them when they molt.

EXACTLY. In fact, i was very interested to watch a larger OBT i had that was missing two legs when i got it. i was curious where they store their new limbs. i have no idea if this is the norm but when watching my girl molt i could very clearly see that both her new legs had been folded up over the top of her carapace. i think its amazing how they even have room for anything extra in their exoskeleton at all. i would imagine that new fangs would grow just tucked the current exoskeleton. It's kind of a bummer now but an absolutely amazing ability!!

David_F

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
There used to be a really nice article on how tarantulas molt over on the Tarantula Store forum but it seems to be gone (or I just can't find it). Hey, Chris, where'd it go?! :D

Failing that, you can see if you can get a copy of Biology of Spiders at your local library. IIRC it talks about how spiders molt. Pretty cool stuff.

Galapoheros

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Yeah, what Drachenjager said. I feel confident the T fangs are there. The "red bloody" look is pretty common after a molt. The fangs are almost translucent surrounded by that bloody look and will turn black after several days.

matthias

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Well I stand corrected.
I didn't think there would be room in there for anything else...

I will have to hope then that his fangs are there and just look weird till he dries.

Thanks everyone