When do I start feeding spiderlings after getting out of the cocoon?

Badkid

Arachnopeon
First time with a cocoon and they got out four days ago. There are hundreds of them! They already mounted once within it, when should I start feeding them? And about moving to another enclosure, do I do it now or wait until they get larger? Thanks.

Attachments

jaycied

Arachnoknight
Species type would be helpful. I'm going to assume you didn't take it from the wild and that you responsibly bred adult specimens in captivity.

It is an egg sac, not a cocoon. You say they only molted once in the sac, how do you know? They look to be about second instar to me. Are they walking around on their own? If so you can feed them. How big are they? They look like they are still small enough to be kept together. Just have them in an enclosure big enough for them to spread out. You shouldn't have to separate them until there are obvious signs of cannibalism.

Badkid

Arachnopeon
Species type would be helpful. I'm going to assume you didn't take it from the wild and that you responsibly bred adult specimens in captivity.

It is an egg sac, not a cocoon. You say they only molted once in the sac, how do you know? They look to be about second instar to me. Are they walking around on their own? If so you can feed them. How big are they? They look like they are still small enough to be kept together. Just have them in an enclosure big enough for them to spread out. You shouldn't have to separate them until there are obvious signs of cannibalism.
First when I saw, I thought they were all dead, but thankfully it's just their exoskeleton. They are walking all over the place, but not climbing nor producing web yet. They are about half a centimeter, and the hair on their abdomen are starting to get a little bit darker.

KezyGLA

Arachnoking
Its possibly the worst species to have an eggsac from. You basically need to give them away for free. Even this proves hard as they have saturated the market because they are a common sp, often bred and eggsacs usually produce upwards of 800

Venom1080

Arachnoemperor
look like 2nd instar to me, that means theyre ready for feeding and separate housing. id keep them all in one large tank to cull the numbers down a few hundred at least. i dont know if theyre native to your area, but if they are, id release all but 15 or so. to guarantee a female and make sure you dont make any mistakes and lose your only spider.

Badkid

Arachnopeon
Yeah, I definitely will reduce the number, it's impossible for me to have 300 or so deli cups. When should I release them, at the juvenile stage?

Venom1080

Arachnoemperor
Yeah, I definitely will reduce the number, it's impossible for me to have 300 or so deli cups. When should I release them, at the juvenile stage?
There's only 300? I'd release them right away. They have so many for a reason. You could raise them a little bigger if you wanted to.

mconnachan

Arachnoprince
Congrats on your LP slings, they do produce a healthy amount of eggs, if I were you I would raise them till there next molt then release some into the wild if that's possible in your area, keep as said 15 or so, you'll soon have some cracking sp. I don't envy you having 300 LP's on your hands but hey that's the hobby dude.

Shudragon

Arachnopeon
I could pay postage if you could send me a few LP slings. And by a few I mean like 10. Ive got a set of 100 condiment cups and work at walmart for deli cups...

EulersK

Arachnonomicon
Staff member
300 sounds quite low for an LP... wouldn't be surprised if you've already had a good amount of cannibalism if that's true.