When do I remove babies from mama?

InfestedGoat

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
My emp gave birth to my first brood a few weeks ago.

I checked on them 2 days ago and 3 scorpions were off of the moms back, but ran back over to her once i took off the hide.

How much longer until I need to move them into their own tank?
Will the scorpions be black by time they're ready to be moved?

Thanks.

RyoKenzaki

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
U can remove them as soon as all of them were off of the mom's back but u can also leave them living together with their mom without much problem if u feed them regulary
My friend actually kept his heterometrus brood with the mom until they are all 4instar with zero cannibalism ;)

InfestedGoat

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
My mother scorpion is very agressive. Always has been.

She ate her mate after she was finished with him too ;_;

I was planning on keeping the young in a seperate 10 gal tank. I already have it set up :)

Nomadinexile

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Anytime after molting into 2i is fine. If you can leave them for a while, it won't hurt either. If you are not seeing cannabilism, you are fine. Personally, I would wait 2 weeks after molting into 2i or until 3i for these.
Either way should be fine. As long as you aren't counting slings at least.

RyoKenzaki

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I wouldn't say anytime after they molted thou...
I have a very bad experience with this
I removed all of my babies from the mom's back manually 2-3 days after they molt while they are still on and the whole brood doom-ed
This happened not once but 3-4times, most have very low babies that survive from that
I thought i was just having bad luck until i try letting them leaving their mom themself...
I assume the mom still doing moisture transfer or something before their exo harden?
Anyone can confirm?

InfestedGoat

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Thanks. Well the tank she is in is only big enough for two adult scorpions. So i'd need to move them eventually.

When they are ready to be moved will they still be white-ish?

Also, im scared to check on them because of the nature of my agressive scorpion. I dont want her eating too many. How often should I check? Ive been looking at them about once a week.

RyoKenzaki

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
They will most likely turned grey-ish when they are ready to be remove
I wouldn't worry about the mother eating them because as i know emperor are not prone to offspring cannibalism as much as other sp eg: B.gigas but don't quote me, this is just an opinion of mine...

Jorpion

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I've had 4 years of successful P. imperator breeding by just leaving mother and brood completely alone until I start to see them all running about the enclosure. Once I see them running around, I begin feeding them [all]. About a week later I remove the scorplings.

Michiel

Arachnoking
Old Timer
You don't need to remove young, they come off themselves when the time is right. Removing young means weaker, slower growing young.
Be patient, they will come off themselves.....

InfestedGoat

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
So today was feeding day. But I didn't wanna disturb the emperors yet.
I decided to kill one cricket and leave it right outside the hide.

I just checked (about an hour later) and the cricket is gone. So I guess they're eating it. How often should I feed the babies? Daily? Weekly like my other scorpions?

InfestedGoat

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Um, I have a stupid question, how do you humanely kill a cricket?:?
I didn't say humanely :(

*edit* oh but if you mean like you dont want to kill a cricket yourself.

What i do it just grab a cricket by the neckish area with my tongs, and just squeeze for a min or two.

If you personally dont want to kill a cricket though, you could put it in a bag and put it in the freezer. But make sure the crickets are thawed before you give it to them. I've never tried this so I dont even know if they'd accept it.

You could maybe just get tongs or something and rip the head off real quick. Thats certainly not humane though...

You know... There really isnt a humane way to kill a cricket and still have it be edible for a scorpion. If anyone else has any ideas let me know.

Last edited:

Michiel

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I didn't say humanely :(

*edit* oh but if you mean like you dont want to kill a cricket yourself.

What i do it just grab a cricket by the neckish area with my tongs, and just squeeze for a min or two.

If you personally dont want to kill a cricket though, you could put it in a bag and put it in the freezer. But make sure the crickets are thawed before you give it to them. I've never tried this so I dont even know if they'd accept it.

You could maybe just get tongs or something and rip the head off real quick. Thats certainly not humane though...

You know... There really isnt a humane way to kill a cricket and still have it be edible for a scorpion. If anyone else has any ideas let me know.

LOL, you should crush the head, that's where the important nerve ganglia are......"I just squeeze the neck area for a minute or two" :D:D:D....yeah that's very humane, ROFL

InfestedGoat

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Eh, It was just where I happened to grab the cricket with the tongs. They move pretty fast. haha

thanks for the tip though

Jorpion

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Your baby emps will eat like pigs! No kidding around.... By far, my experience with P. imperators is that the young will eat and eat and eat. I have always fed my baby emps 2 times a week.

My last emp brood was born in mid-April and they're now 2-3" and very feisty! Each scorp easily takes down an entire adult dubia roach. In some cases the roach is bigger than the scorp! They're awesome - enjoy.