When do B. boehmei usually get their adult colors?

Ghost56

Arachnobaron
I've got a sling that was purchased as B. boehmei, but I'm highly doubting that's what it is. It's molted like clockwork every month and 10 days give or take, which I thought was odd from the beginning. Before this current molt, it was around 1.5 inches, and wasn't showing any adult coloring at all. It just freshly molted either last night or early this morning, and is definitely over 2 inches now. I'm still waiting for it to harden up, but from what I can see atm, still zero adult coloring. Which doesn't seem right at all. So as the title says, when do they usually get their adult coloring?
IMG_6235.jpg This pic is before this last molt. For reference, the container is 1.75" wide. After this current molt it's touching both sides without being stretched, so definitely over 2".

Last edited:

EulersK

Arachnonomicon
Staff member
I've never kept a B. boehmei sling, but most Brachypelma show at least mild coloration at roughly the 1.5-2.5" mark.

It does seem to be molting quickly. Can we see a current picture?

Ghost56

Arachnobaron
I've never kept a B. boehmei sling, but most Brachypelma show at least mild coloration at roughly the 1.5-2.5" mark.

It does seem to be molting quickly. Can we see a current picture?
Ya, I'll get one up later tonight after it hardens up some more. It gained a ton of size this molt so if it's still not showing something after hardening, I think I'm going to contact the seller.

EulersK

Arachnonomicon
Staff member
Ya, I'll get one up later tonight after it hardens up some more. It gained a ton of size this molt so if it's still not showing something after hardening, I think I'm going to contact the seller.
Yeah man, if it's over two inches, then something is wrong. Even the growth rate isn't right, unless you're feeding it like mad and keeping it warm.

nicodimus22

Arachnomancer
Arachnosupporter
Does it sit out in the open like a rock most of the time? Mine sure does (and that's fine by me, as I want primarily good adult display spiders.)

Ghost56

Arachnobaron
Yeah man, if it's over two inches, then something is wrong. Even the growth rate isn't right, unless you're feeding it like mad and keeping it warm.
I did feed it pretty heavy in the beginning, but I've slowed it down to twice a week this past couple molts. So ya, didn't seem right to me either. It's also looking pretty leggy after this molt.

Does it sit out in the open like a rock most of the time? Mine sure does (and that's fine by me, as I want primarily good adult display spiders.)
Yep, and it's definitely some form of new world terrestrial. I'm just pretty sure it's not a brachy at this point.

Last edited by a moderator:

EulersK

Arachnonomicon
Staff member
Yep, and it's definitely some form of new world terrestrial. I'm just pretty sure it's not a brachy at this point.
It's impossible to tell the species in that first picture, but if it's larger than 2", we should be able to at least make an educated guess.

Venom1080

Arachnoemperor
never raised boehmei, but my 3 albos all had fuzz and some color by 2".. looks suspiciously like my Lasiodora slings.. they dont turn black till about 4".

Ghost56

Arachnobaron
It's impossible to tell the species in that first picture, but if it's larger than 2", we should be able to at least make an educated guess.
Ya, I just mainly tossed that pic up to show the lack of coloration. It's pretty weird tbh, it still looks like a tiny NW sling, but big. This is really the only NW terrestrial sling I've had, but from what I've learned on here, most show some type of features by now. Like venom just mentioned, pretty much looks like some type of lasiodora.

nicodimus22

Arachnomancer
Arachnosupporter
If mine was closer to looking like something, I'd be able to help you out with a comparison shot. Currently, it looks like this at 3/4 inch:

Not very distinct. It could be a Xenesthis for all I know.

Ghost56

Arachnobaron
If mine was closer to looking like something, I'd be able to help you out with a comparison shot. Currently, it looks like this at 3/4 inch:

Not very distinct. It could be a Xenesthis for all I know.
Ya lol, yours is already showing more color than my sling at less than half the size. Looks like you'll have a nice molt soon too if you haven't already.

IMG_6827.jpg IMG_6834.jpg
Picture throws it off a little, but it's a smidge over 2 inches not even stretched. It's also still hardening, so I'm sure it's not done gaining size.

Last edited by a moderator:

EulersK

Arachnonomicon
Staff member
View attachment 234161 View attachment 234162
Picture throws it off a little, but it's a smidge over 2 inches not even stretched. It's also still hardening, so I'm sure it's not done gaining size.
Is the abdomen actually red like it shows in the picture? If so, then that's not a B. boehmei, whatever it is.

Not sure what it is, but it doesn't look like a Brachy at all to me. I'd post another picture when it hardens up tomorrow, but I'll be pretty surprised if this is a B. boehmei. You should contact the seller with pictures of it after it hardens.

Ghost56

Arachnobaron
It's not quite as red as the first picture, but definitely some red. The flash made everything a lot more vibrant. Ya I agree, 1000000% not B. boehmei as far as I can tell. The only other thing the seller was selling at the time, that were NW terrestrials, were LP's and vagans. Pretty sure it's not a vagans though cause of how light the carapace and legs are.

EulersK

Arachnonomicon
Staff member
It's not quite as red as the first picture, but definitely some red. The flash made everything a lot more vibrant. Ya I agree, 1000000% not B. boehmei as far as I can tell. The only other thing the seller was selling at the time, that were NW terrestrials, were LP's and vagans. Pretty sure it's not a vagans though cause of how light the carapace and legs are.
Yeah, certainly not a B. vagans either. It would have shown coloration several molts ago. Looks like you got a freebie spider for the price of an expensive Brachypelma.

Ghost56

Arachnobaron
Yeah, certainly not a B. vagans either. It would have shown coloration several molts ago. Looks like you got a freebie spider for the price of an expensive Brachypelma.
Ya, luckily I only paid $20 for it as a .5" sling so I wasn't burnt too bad. I did get a P. irminia freebie with the order that included the "boehmei", and it turned out to be a molt confirmed female. So it's not all bad I guess lol.

Last edited:

EulersK

Arachnonomicon
Staff member
Ya, luckily I only paid $20 for it as a .5" sling so I wasn't burnt too bad. I did get a P. irminia freebie with the order that included the "boehmei", and it turned out to be a molt confirmed female. So it's not all bad I guess lol.
Hey, a freebie irminia isn't a bad deal at all! Although I'd still reach out. Worst case scenario, the seller doesn't uphold his sale. Then you know to never go to him again. It could have been an honest mistake.

Ghost56

Arachnobaron
Hey, a freebie irminia isn't a bad deal at all! Although I'd still reach out. Worst case scenario, the seller doesn't uphold his sale. Then you know to never go to him again. It could have been an honest mistake.
I honestly think it may have been a mistake, cause he has good reviews. And it wouldn't make much sense to include a freebie like an irminia, but then rip someone off.

I went ahead and contacted the seller, and linked him this thread. So thanks for the help everyone. I'll throw some pics up tomorrow, and give an update on the situation after it's resolved.