When did you stop naming your tarantulas?

When did you stop naming your Ts?

• After I hit 10 Ts

Votes: 6 5.2%
  • After 20+ Ts

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I never named them

Votes: 27 23.5%
  • I never stopped naming them

Votes: 35 30.4%
  • I name random Ts as the names come to me, some are named and some aren't

Votes: 38 33.0%
  • Other (please explain)

Votes: 9 7.8%

• Total voters

volcanopele

Arachnosquire
I only have 15 in my collection so it isn't that hard to come up with unique names for them (helps to discussing them with my fiancee, for example). It helps to pull from some rich source of names, like from The Song of Ice and Fire (about half my collection has names from Game of Thrones like Visenya, Rhaella, Melisandre, and Arryn). That being said, I recently saw someone on another forum had 25 or so LP slings. In a similar situation, I wouldn't bother trying to name all of those.

EulersK

Arachnonomicon
Staff member
I've begun to simply name my adult/subadult females, since I know they'll be with me for quite some time. Slings and juvies get the numeral treatment (G. pulchripes #1-#4) until they show themselves to be large females.

creepa

Arachnoknight
I dont give my spiders any names...

For me its more of a hobby thing rather than a pet thing. (For me pets are warm blooded)
I see them more as objects, objects that i respect (a lot) and i do my best to keep them alive and well.
Its like my other passion wich is fishing for predatory fish like pike and perch..., i buy lures for that and i also like to collect them, and sometimes i lose some lures because they get stuck or whatever and that bummes me out but its not the end of the world.
Its the same with Theraphosidae for me..., i buy some and if they die it sucks but thats how it is, i dont get emotionaly attached to them.

The Grym Reaper

Arachnoreaper
If shelob isn't the #1 most popular t name aside from rosie, its gotta be in the top 3.

To me a pet recognizes its name, and therefore deserves one. I refer to ts as either specimens or my collection...JMO though.

@Charlottesweb17 , @nicodimus22 , @The Grym Reaper ...

Y'all clearly do not have enough ts in your collection:p Get 200 or more ts and tell me how fun the naming process is.:happy:
Aragog has got to be up there too tbh.

Most animals don't have a bloody clue what you're saying to them, they just react according to the tone of your voice, I could call a dog every curse word under the sun but if I use a friendly/excited voice then it will react to being verbally abused in a positive manner lol.

Yeah, 22 inverts is nothing compared to some people's collections, I can't realistically see myself going beyond 100 unless I decide to start breeding.

nburgmei

Arachnopeon
I named all of my Ts when I was younger. I'm currently sitting at 18 and only two of them are named...both of them by my wife. Maybe I'll name them eventually.

nicodimus22

Arachnomancer
Arachnosupporter
@Charlottesweb17 , @nicodimus22 , @The Grym Reaper ...

Y'all clearly do not have enough ts in your collection:p Get 200 or more ts and tell me how fun the naming process is.:happy:
See, I'm much too picky for that. There are only 15 or so species that I'm interested in owning. Unless I got 14 of each of those species to go over 200, which really isn't necessary to get a female. :rofl:

Last edited:

Hoshnobobo

Arachnopeon
I've noticed that somewhere along the line, I stopped naming my babes...and I swore I never would because they're all individuals and deserve names and blah blah blah. Sometimes I'll pick up a T and a name will just come to me and it'll be perfect and stick, but with others I've just taken to calling them by their sp.

So...when did you stop naming yours?
I mostly name them when I have multiples of the same one so I can distinguish, otherwise I wait till a fitting name presents itself through some action or event like an escape attempt

Lokee85

Arachnoknight
I never name mine as there's only 1 name I like for a T and it's Ariadne. And I can't call all my girls that.

The name comes from a kids TV show I used to watch called Knightmare. Ariadne was a tarantula that appeared on it.
My husband's first spider, a wolf spider, was named Ariadne. :happy:

I'll never stop naming them, I went with naming mine after characters from Mortal Kombat and Marvel Comics so it's not as if I'm short of names to pick from that fit the look/personality of the T.
I've been using names from horror novels and films, except for my B. albo named FuFu Cuddly Poops, or Poops for short lol.

I've been letting my niece and nephews name them, in hopes of making tarantulas less scary to them.
This was one of my motivations for Poops' name, because my kids were a bit freaked out by the spiders, so I thought a "curly hair" with a "FuFu" name from one of their (and my) favorite shows would help them feel less scared. Since I got Poops in Feb. to now, my kids want their own spiders and are eagerly awaiting their birthdays this year lol.

Most animals don't have a bloody clue what you're saying to them, they just react according to the tone of your voice, I could call a dog every curse word under the sun but if I use a friendly/excited voice then it will react to being verbally abused in a positive manner lol.
I verbally abuse my dog like that all the time. I'll flip him off and tell him "F- you, Sokka," and his tail starts wagging. :D :rolleyes:

Last edited:

boina

Lady of the mites
A lot of my AF females have names, but the slings and smaller juveniles don't. They get a name when something occurs to me. Often, the names are not very creative, though, like:

B. emilia = Emilia
B. auratum = Aura
B. albo. = Fuzzy
G. pulchripes = Aurelia (means golden)
B. smithi = Orangina
X. immanis = Xena
A. genic. = Jeanie (= Genie)

I had to find a cute name for my E. sp. red, though, because she was recruited for some arachnophobia training. As others have already stated, people are much less scared of Josephine than of Euathlus sp.

darkness975

Latrodectus
Arachnosupporter +
B. smithi (which also got changed) is Big Red (she's my favorite)
May I ask what the new stupid name for them is? I can't shake the habit of calling them B. smithi but I am sure one day I will have no choice so ...

Lokee85

Arachnoknight
May I ask what the new stupid name for them is? I can't shake the habit of calling them B. smithi but I am sure one day I will have no choice so ...
B. hamorii, I believe.
My husband is so disappointed, he just got two smithis that he named Steve and Roger Smithi (if you know American Dad), and the names will make no sense when the change occurs. :rofl:

darkness975

Latrodectus
Arachnosupporter +
My husband is so disappointed, he just got two smithis that he named Steve and Roger Smithi (if you know American Dad), and the names will make no sense when the change occurs. :rofl:
My female is named Irene. I named her that because someone on the boards had that name and B. smithi for the rest of their username. After this (stupid) name change occurs with the scientific name I will still call her Irene, but it won't make as much sense anymore.

Also, yes, I know (and love) American Dad!

Stella Maris

Arachnoknight
I name all my tarantulas always. My newest sling, an N. chromatus, received the name "Chips" after it came to me while I was eating an ice cream cookie sandwich (as in "chcocolate chips").

Goodlukwitthat

Arachnoknight
I think it was either @Jeff23 or @EulersK who mentioned the name changes hadn't taken place yet due to the article being published before the names were actually changed?

EulersK

Arachnonomicon
Staff member
I think it was either @Jeff23 or @EulersK who mentioned the name changes hadn't taken place yet due to the article being published before the names were actually changed?
It's that the article hasn't been published yet. That's the issue, and why we shouldn't adopt new names until it's published.