When did you stop naming your tarantulas?

When did you stop naming your Ts?

• After I hit 10 Ts

Votes: 6 5.2%
  • After 20+ Ts

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I never named them

Votes: 27 23.5%
  • I never stopped naming them

Votes: 35 30.4%
  • I name random Ts as the names come to me, some are named and some aren't

Votes: 38 33.0%
  • Other (please explain)

Votes: 9 7.8%

• Total voters

Charlottesweb17

Arachnopeon
I won't ever stop naming them it's too much fun some names are just too appropriate. My son loves giving them names too. I guess the kid brain thinks every pet should have a name no matter what it is lol.
My two lps are named Kronk and Charlotte although names are subject to change once I find out what sex they are.

The Grym Reaper

Arachnoreaper
I'll never stop naming them, I went with naming mine after characters from Mortal Kombat and Marvel Comics so it's not as if I'm short of names to pick from that fit the look/personality of the T.

Charlottesweb17

Arachnopeon
I'll never stop naming them, I went with naming mine after characters from Mortal Kombat and Marvel Comics so it's not as if I'm short of names to pick from that fit the look/personality of the T.
I do as well. I thought of Kronk from The Emperors New Groove. Name seems to fit as so far he/is all Braun and no brains lol.

YagerManJennsen

Arachnobaron
I name the ones who are "The special ones" My first was named "fluffy"
P subfucsa lowland is named "Uli" after Uli Jon Roth

Moonohol

Two Legged Freak
I haven't stopped, but I do at least wait til I know the sex now before naming them. It isn't exactly a major priority.

Rob1985

This user has no status.
I named them when I first started out... but soon they became Thing 1, Thing 2, Thing 3 and so on. :bucktooth:

Ghost56

Arachnobaron
I don't name any of mine, but my mom did take upon herself to name my A. avic and P. vittata "Pinky and Brain" from the cartoon Pinky and the Brain since they're side by side in a split tank. Pretty fitting and creative if I'm honest lol.

Magenta

Arachnosquire
I have multiples of some species. Having names makes it easier to track individuals. I could just say "G. pulchripes #1, G. pulchripes #2..." to differentiate, but I just use names. I've been letting my niece and nephews name them, in hopes of making tarantulas less scary to them.

cold blood

Staff member
Depending on how "boehmei" is pronounced.
Bo-my

Show us some pics! Can get enough of big Theraphosa's ! I also only habitually called my female stirmi Shelob cause of her appetite haha if your a LOTR fan you will understand.
If shelob isn't the #1 most popular t name aside from rosie, its gotta be in the top 3.
I won't ever stop naming them it's too much fun some names are just too appropriate.
Never stopped. Never will. It's part of the fun of pets for me.
To me a pet recognizes its name, and therefore deserves one. I refer to ts as either specimens or my collection...JMO though.

@Charlottesweb17 , @nicodimus22 , @The Grym Reaper ...

Y'all clearly do not have enough ts in your collection:p Get 200 or more ts and tell me how fun the naming process is.:happy:

=====

For me it was really just the first, and it was named by the goof that I confiscated the t from...he named her Lorena...after Lorena Bobbit, as at the time, that trial had just ended and its verdict was big news. I always hated the name.

Aside from that they are named by scientific names, P. regalis #1, P. regalis #2, and so on....

But there have been a small few where names just kinda happened...My P. cam female is "mayo", simply because she was raised in a mayo container. My Avic sling (which would otherwise be A. avic sling #1, is named Johnny 2 legs...because its first molt was a bad one and when I extracted it, it was left with just 2 legs....gotta keep that one, right. My LV is F#@* you...because she's so skittish and irritable that its what I end up saying every time I look at her and she disappears instantly.

I have no time or need for names, but occasionally there's an exception for me.

PanzoN88

Arachnodemon
I only name certain tarantulas within my collection:

0.1 A. Geniculata (Big Bertha)
0.1 GBB (Queen)
0.1 E. Sp. Red (muñeca)
0.1 B. Albopilosum (mop)
1.0.0 B. Sabulosum (Diablo)

nicodimus22

Arachnomancer
Arachnosupporter
To me a pet recognizes its name, and therefore deserves one. I refer to ts as either specimens or my collection...JMO though.
We're going to have to agree to disagree here. Most pets I keep (and have ever kept) are incapable of recognizing their names, but that hasn't made naming them any less fun to me.

It's also a lot easier to talk to my girlfriend throughout the week about "Daisy" than "the Aphonopelma chalcodes." I know the scientific names, but simplicity wins when talking to people who aren't in the hobby.

A cute or funny name can also help a person who is fearful of spiders warm up to the idea of a tarantula in general. Exhibit A: my mother.

Paiige

Arachnobaron
It's also a lot easier to talk to my girlfriend throughout the week about "Daisy" than "the Aphonopelma chalcodes." I know the scientific names, but simplicity wins when talking to people who aren't in the hobby.
Yeah I run into this problem too. Hubby doesn't know scientific names and the more I stress that he should know them, the less he wants to.

"Babe can you give the genic some water?"
*mists the boehmei cage*

:banghead:

nicodimus22

Arachnomancer
Arachnosupporter
Yeah I run into this problem too. Hubby doesn't know scientific names and the more I stress that he should know them, the less he wants to.

"Babe can you give the genic some water?"
*mists the boehmei cage*

:banghead:
Well if that boehmei is just causing confusion over there, and it makes you too itchy...

:angelic:

cold blood

Staff member
We're going to have to agree to disagree here. Most pets I keep (and have ever kept) are incapable of recognizing their names, but that hasn't made naming them any less fun to me.

A cute or funny name can also help a person who is fearful of spiders warm up to the idea of a tarantula in general. Exhibit A: my mother.
hence my JMO...or just my opinion, as i am aware others dont feel this way.

CWilson1351

Arachnobaron
Technically I didn't even give any of mine names. My wife started calling the first G. pulchripes sling "Chaco" so now the newer two are "Gold" and "Knee" respectively. Since the two A. geroldi slings are siblings we refer to them as "The Twins" or Left and Right, based on their position on the shelf.
Nothing creative but it helps us know which we are talking about :D