When did you stop naming your tarantulas?

When did you stop naming your Ts?

• After I hit 10 Ts

Votes: 6 5.2%
  • After 20+ Ts

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I never named them

Votes: 27 23.5%
  • I never stopped naming them

Votes: 35 30.4%
  • I name random Ts as the names come to me, some are named and some aren't

Votes: 38 33.0%
  • Other (please explain)

Votes: 9 7.8%

• Total voters

Paiige

Arachnobaron
I've noticed that somewhere along the line, I stopped naming my babes...and I swore I never would because they're all individuals and deserve names and blah blah blah. Sometimes I'll pick up a T and a name will just come to me and it'll be perfect and stick, but with others I've just taken to calling them by their sp.

So...when did you stop naming yours?

Paiige

Arachnobaron
Never stopped. Never will. It's part of the fun of pets for me.
I used to feel that way - and then I started picking up more and more Ts and the naming just kind of felt forced for some of them. Sometimes names come easily (Annie and Ace the Avics) but then others are just "the genic" and "the curly" and "the little baby."

For a while I was just using cute nicknames as placeholders until I thought of appropriate names but that resulted in a T being permanently named "Smoosh" so I stopped. :D

user 666

Arachnobaron
I named the first couple, but that was simply to call them things like Rosy, Curly, and Charlie (for the Arizona blond).

So I can't really say I named them at all.

Paiige

Arachnobaron
I named the first couple, but that was simply to call them things like Rosy, Curly, and Charlie (for the Arizona blond).

So I can't really say I named them at all.
Those are still legit names. My porteri is named Rosie. I didn't name my B. albopilosum Curly but instead call her "the curly" because I felt 'Curly' is more masculine

Goodlukwitthat

Arachnoknight
Well only 5 of my Ts have names. The rest may get names as they get older and are sexed/personalities come to play.
A. avic (which is now something entirely different) is named Fluffy
B. smithi (which also got changed) is Big Red (she's my favorite)
A. chalcodes is named Blondie
G. pulchripes is named Link (Gotta love Legend of Zelda games)
G. rosea/porteri is, go figure Rosie

Now my scorpions..only 1 has a name.
H. spinifer is named Douchebag....and her name fits her personality to a T :p

Paiige

Arachnobaron
Well only 5 of my Ts have names. The rest may get names as they get older and are sexed/personalities come to play.
A. avic (which is now something entirely different) is named Fluffy
B. smithi (which also got changed) is Big Red (she's my favorite)
A. chalcodes is named Blondie
G. pulchripes is named Link (Gotta love Legend of Zelda games)
G. rosea/porteri is, go figure Rosie

Now my scorpions..only 1 has a name.
H. spinifer is named Douchebag....and her name fits her personality to a T :p
Yeah that's another reason I don't name them sometimes...I'd name them according to their personalities and their names wouldn't be pleasant.
My N. tripepii's "name" is Little D*ckhead :smug:

Also that's a great name for a G. pulchripes, with the gold markings! I instantly thought of the gold Triforce. Love it :D

basin79

ArachnoGod
I never name mine as there's only 1 name I like for a T and it's Ariadne. And I can't call all my girls that.

The name comes from a kids TV show I used to watch called Knightmare. Ariadne was a tarantula that appeared on it.

SnowMonkey

Arachnopeon
It's the total opposite for me. I'm naming more as I get multiples. I just got three P. met juveniles, so they needed names to tell them apart. So it's Parvati, Sunil (Mr. Threat Display) and Shawn. I'm looking for appropriate names for 4 Avics avics and 2 M. robustae.

I do still name for fun. My first named T was "Obama" the OBT, because he was a dangerous jerk from Kenya. Naturally, his female is Michelle. My fuzzy blonde P. pulcher was Ragnar, my P. irminia is Fabiana and my H. mac is Adwoa, a nice, traditional Ashanti name. It helps me keep them straight as to where they come from and what they'll prefer habitat and humidity-wise. I'm needing to name the group I just got because I can't remember which ones are obligate burrowers, which like humidity, which kick hairs etc.

Goodlukwitthat

Arachnoknight
Yeah that's another reason I don't name them sometimes...I'd name them according to their personalities and their names wouldn't be pleasant.
My N. tripepii's "name" is Little D*ckhead :smug:

Also that's a great name for a G. pulchripes, with the gold markings! I instantly thought of the gold Triforce. Love it :D

Link fits the pulchripes since he's a male. I'm on the quest to find him Zelda lol

Tim Benzedrine

Prankster Possum
Old Timer
I have 5, and they all have some sort of name, either in dedication to somebody or for my amusement, as in the case of Geronimo the plummeting B. smithi. But I only use they pet names on very rare occasion. Practically never.

A. geniculata- Gillian.
B. smithi- Geronimo
E. campestrstus- Maggie
L parahybana-Elpy (get it?)
G. pulchripes- Wicked (Not for disposition, but for a former AB member)

I also recently named my baby Asian forest scorpion "Meg" after a co-worker because they are both spit-fires whom I think on occasion would kill me if they could. And I declared my coworker the scorpion's god-mother as it was her that delivered it to me after a fellow dropped it off at work for me.

Last edited:

Rittdk01

Arachnoknight
I name them all. People love to look at Doomsday, my huge female T stirmi, and then talk about her later. They always call her Doomsday, not T stirmi or burgundy goliath lol. Pinky is a big avic, Muffin is a little one. Pumpkin is my pumpkin patch lol. Rollo, Topsy and Starbuck are my lp slings, Rachel spider is my big lp. Everyone has fun with the names.

Paiige

Arachnobaron
It's the total opposite for me. I'm naming more as I get multiples. I just got three P. met juveniles, so they needed names to tell them apart. So it's Parvati, Sunil (Mr. Threat Display) and Shawn. I'm looking for appropriate names for 4 Avics avics and 2 M. robustae.

I do still name for fun. My first named T was "Obama" the OBT, because he was a dangerous jerk from Kenya. Naturally, his female is Michelle. My fuzzy blonde P. pulcher was Ragnar, my P. irminia is Fabiana and my H. mac is Adwoa, a nice, traditional Ashanti name. It helps me keep them straight as to where they come from and what they'll prefer habitat and humidity-wise. I'm needing to name the group I just got because I can't remember which ones are obligate burrowers, which like humidity, which kick hairs etc.
That's actually a really excellent idea, I've never thought to name them regionally appropriate names. I did try to name my boehmei something somewhat appropriate (Looloo is 'short' for Lupe) but that's as far as I got.

Tim Benzedrine

Prankster Possum
Old Timer
Depending on how "boehmei" is pronounced (I have no idea), "Rhapsody" might be a good name for one...

TyjTheMighty

Arachnosquire
I name all of mine. I only have 17 right now. And like 4 of them aren't named yet. But I just keep a list of who's who. It's part of the fun for me :happy:

Nightstalker47

Arachnoking
I name them all. People love to look at Doomsday, my huge female T stirmi, and then talk about her later. They always call her Doomsday, not T stirmi or burgundy goliath lol. Pinky is a big avic, Muffin is a little one. Pumpkin is my pumpkin patch lol. Rollo, Topsy and Starbuck are my lp slings, Rachel spider is my big lp. Everyone has fun with the names.
Show us some pics! Can get enough of big Theraphosa's ! I also only habitually called my female stirmi Shelob cause of her appetite haha if your a LOTR fan you will understand.

Gollum: "And when they go in, there's no coming out. She's always hungry. She always needs to feed."

Gollum: "She must eat."

Lucashank

Arachnosquire
The only invertebrate I've had that was named was my C. cyaneopubescens. My friend had his daughters over and the youngest named her Elizabeth. I thought it was the funniest thing. I was expecting something related to her being a spider and was pleasantly surprised.

I may have to get my niece and nephew over here for some names now.