When can I separate and feed my babies?

Tarangela

Arachnobaron
I know I posted last week, but I just want to make SURE I know what I am doing, since this was all unexpected.

I looked in at my Scorpion this morning, and some of her babies have come down off her. They are crawling around under her, and they are a little brownish now. I guess the 2nd instar?? I noticed one crawled back up on her.

I am afraid she may grab one.

Is it safe to separate them now? Or do I need to wait until they are ALL off her back???? When I do separate them, can I start feeding them?

Thanks, and I hope yall can bear with me...:eek:

Thaedion

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
IME, you can start to feed them now. I cut some meal worms in half and fed them to them. You can also separate them now (as soon as you see them eating probably) or you could wait till third instar. Have you read this article yet? Raising Pandinus & Heterometrus babies

Here is a link to a thread I began about my first brood of slings, you may find some good info there. http://www.arachnoboards.com/ab/showthread.php?t=89442

Also check out Zman's thread for some useful info. http://www.arachnoboards.com/ab/showthread.php?t=88955

Michael :cool:

Last edited:

Brian S

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Ang,
If they are crawling around on their own then they are 2nd instars already. They still may not feed for a few days but you can sccop them up gently and do the deli cup thing. Place a few small crickets and leave over night and if they are gone the next day you can start feeding hard. If they are not gone then wait and try to feed every few days. Remember that they are still delicate so be careful

Tarangela

Arachnobaron
Thanks for your reply, and w/ the links.

So, I can go ahead and remove the ones that have came down off her back then??

I hope I am successful with these :)

I see little molts all over the mother's back!

Tarangela

Arachnobaron
Ang,
If they are crawling around on their own then they are 2nd instars already. They still may not feed for a few days but you can sccop them up gently and do the deli cup thing. Place a few small crickets and leave over night and if they are gone the next day you can start feeding hard. If they are not gone then wait and try to feed every few days. Remember that they are still delicate so be careful
:D

I am so excited! I can't wait to get them separated and eating!! I was thinking 3-4 per deli cup for now. I hope they don't mind!

The ones I seen crawling around were under the mom. They are terribly cute!

I will try to get some pics of these.

Thanks Brian :)

Brian S

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I hope you raise all of them and breed them. We need more CB Emps in the hobby. They are much healthier captives than their wild counterparts.

Tarangela

Arachnobaron
I hope you raise all of them and breed them. We need more CB Emps in the hobby. They are much healthier captives than their wild counterparts.
Well, I will give it a shot! The closest I have ever came to babies, were dud sacs from my T's. This is much more exciting :)

I hope they turn out well :)

Thanks!

Tarangela

Arachnobaron
Last night I had them all separated! That was so much fun!! THEY were so cute and did not want to get off my hand!!! I put 4 in per cup, 5 in one cup. I had a total of 17!!!!!

I put pieces of cricket in there, and I seen some of them pick it up and carry it around while eating! IT was adorable!!! {D

Question though.....how about heat? How much heat do they need right now being in those deli cups??? I just have the deli cups stacked up right now.

Lemme know!! I don't want to go wrong now!!!!!!!!

Thaedion

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
I placed my deli cups on top of my tanks in close proximity to the IR heat lamps I use. You want to keep the temps and humidity up high 80's F. (IME)

Michael

Tarangela

Arachnobaron
I placed my deli cups on top of my tanks in close proximity to the IR heat lamps I use. You want to keep the temps and humidity up high 80's F. (IME)

Michael
That is what I figured, they need the heat :) I will make sure I take care of that tonight. The room they are all in is in the high 70's, close to 80's.

I can't express how CUTE they are though. There were some real spunky ones in that brood!

Tarangela

Arachnobaron
The young will be too big for fruitflies. They will be able to take a 1/4 inch cricket with no problem;)
I cut some med. sized crickets in half last night, and I seen a few of them walking around w/ pieces of the crickets in their mouth.

Are they able to catch live crickets at this age? They are tan. When they molt again, will they be vunerable with the others in the deli cup?

Tarangela

Arachnobaron
BTW, here is a pic of her right when I found the babies about 2 weeks ago!!!

I had to share :) I am proud :clap:

Attachments

Tarangela

Arachnobaron
Well, last night I put in some small crickets with them. The scorps seemed to run from them at first :) But an hour or so later, I seen one w/ a cricket it's cluches! SO, I am very happy they can catch their food now :)

I REALLY hope they all make it, and I can have a batch of them!

BTW!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I found an extra crawling around mom's cage last night, I can't believe I didn't see it the night before! So, I have 18 now :)

LOL

Thanks to you all!

Thaedion

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
That's awesome! My first brood was only 7 (I had 8, but when I removed her from the communal tank 1 fell off and became lunch for a tank mate)

GL and many healthy scorps to you... :p

Tarangela

Arachnobaron
That's awesome! My first brood was only 7 (I had 8, but when I removed her from the communal tank 1 fell off and became lunch for a tank mate)

GL and many healthy scorps to you... :p
I do feel VERY lucky to have this many! They all seem to be doing well. However, w/ the mother, I had to kill her crickets for her, and lay them at her den. She then ate them. It was like she didn't want to hunt or something.

I hope all the babies live. They pile up on top of each other at night. That's just precious to me :)