when can a t be aged

smithi keeper

Arachnopeon
does the b. smithi or any t for that matter have to be a certain age before you can sex them properly

redrumpslump

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
If you have a microscope you sex a small slings molt. You can centrally sex when they get alittle bigger, but ventral sexing is never a 100% for sure.

Matt

xhexdx

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
does the b. smithi or any t for that matter have to be a certain age before you can sex them properly
It's not the age...it's the size.

...but ventral sexing is never a 100% for sure.

Matt
It is if:

a) You know what you're doing
b) You have species like L. violaceopes or C. schioedtei that are ridiculously easy to tell

Even with a microscope, you can't sex a 1/4" sling. Spermathecae need to actually develop before you can see them, no matter what magnification you're using.

redrumpslump

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Well since the question was asked about a B.smithi it can't be sexes by it being sexually diamorphic(spelling), but Joe is the all knowing.

Matt

smithi keeper

Arachnopeon
now by 1/4" sling in what way do you mean how are they sized like,start of leg to end of leg top of abdomen to bottom leg span like outer to outer sorry i no this is very silly but i just wanna be sure

Ms.X

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Actually, L. violaceopes do not display any obvious dimorphism until sexual maturity. C. schioedtei are only dimorphic prior to sexual maturity on the ventral side (males are green ventrally, while females are black), dorsally they appear identical.

smithi keeper

Arachnopeon
Yes i do agree i did ask for all T's not only B. smithi i jus wanted a brief sentence on b. smithi then wanted to no all species info on this do ya get me sorry if i confused anyone

redrumpslump

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
No worries. You'll learn That Joe has to be right always. That's why a large percantage of people don't care for him.
Anyways how big is your smithi?

Musicwolf

Arachnoknight
well i dont no cuz im not sure were u guys measure from/to if you answer that i can tell you
generally it's the tip of leg one to the tip of leg 4 on the opposite side . . . . now whether that's in a comfortable standing position, or stretched out is a matter of opinion.

Mez

Arachnoknight
No worries. You'll learn That Joe has to be right always. That's why a large percantage of people don't care for him.
Sorry, is this a bad thing?
Are people really now taking someones experience in Ts and using it against them, because theyre not often wrong?! Id rather hear good advice given straight to the point than bad/wrong/poor advice being given with a hug.
To the OP: Just stick a pic up on here pal, if youre not sure how to do it just make a photobucket(.com) account, upload your image there, and copy the IMG code in here.

paassatt

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Sorry, is this a bad thing?
Are people really now taking someones experience in Ts and using it against them, because theyre not often wrong?! Id rather hear good advice given straight to the point than bad/wrong/poor advice being given with a hug.
Good point. Recently I've noticed a lot of stuff spit in Joe's direction because of the blunt delivery of some of his responses. The guy knows his stuff though, so I'm inclined to agree that I'd rather have good advice delivered bluntly. It's important to note that being blunt doesn't always equal being mean.

Fran

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Ventraly sexing T's is not accurate at 100%.

Too many factors can take you to the wrong direction, wether you have been keeping T's for 30 or 50 years.

Fran

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
As I said, there are so many factors involved like light, if the E.F is "furrier" or not, the specific T...that no matter the experience theres always room for error, so it is not accurate at 100%. (Of course one would need to know what 100% accuracy means).

xhexdx

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
As I said, there are so many factors involved like light, if the E.F is "furrier" or not, the specific T...that no matter the experience theres always room for error, so it is not accurate at 100%. (Of course one would need to know what 100% accuracy means).
Ah, nice edit of your first post to add the 'many factors' part.

Yes, ventral sexing can be 100% accurate (as in, there's no chance that you're wrong).

For example:

If someone knows what they're doing (as I have stated twice now), they can be 100% sure which of these is male, which is female. It's obvious to someone who knows what they're doing.

So again, ventral sexing can be 100% accurate.

redrumpslump

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I'm so glad Joe is here. What would this hobby be without his pure greatness. So pro tarantula keeper.

Matt

Fran

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Yeah, so as I said, Ventral sexing is not 100% accurate.

Of course the probability of guessing the sex exist,obvious, now, does that makes ventral sexing "100% accuarate" ? NO.

Last edited:

xhexdx

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
You're not listening.

I'm not saying that everyone who tries to ventrally sex a spider is right.

I'm not saying every spider can be ventrally sexed with 100% accuracy.

What I'm saying is that ventral sexing can be 100% accurate depending on species and individual experience.

This does not mean that every spider can be 100% ventrally sexed. What it DOES mean is that the blanket statement that you and redrumpslump have been pushing:

...but ventral sexing is never a 100% for sure.
Ventraly sexing T's is not accurate at 100%.
Is not true.

If you don't understand what I'm saying, that's your deal. I don't know how to make it any more clear.