When a regular deli cup just isn't sufficient...

invertepet

Arachnolord
Old Timer
OK, let's try something bigger... Like, say, a refrigerator box? This massive female must be right around 12" fully extended (she's actually bunched up a bit here). She's also fairly sedate, doesn't flick much and allows herself to be moved around gently as though she hasn't a fear or care in the world. And rightly so...

Attachments

Gillian

Arachnoblessed
Old Timer
Bill,
VERY nice! I love the color. Mine is a light brownish red. I finally did get the micro-macro lens, and will be picture happy this weekend. Very nice blondi Bill.
Peace,
Gillian

invertepet

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Well, the pic is a little soft-focus because I took it from further away than usual (macro tends to not capture the scale of something this big)... But you get the idea. ;)

bill

veronyka

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Man, that is cute! My blondi is only about 4.5 inches right now, maybe 5. She(?) is still pretty young. a 10 gallon tank works fine ;) but for yours.. yeah... how bout a pool or something.. that is one big pretty spider!

veronyka

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
By the way mine is a sort of medium brownish-red. I guess it's just color variation?

invertepet

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Depends on time from last molt in many cases. They often turn up a deep reddish brown, then gradually fade to a kind of dirty fawn or just plain old darkish brown, then molt out as jet black slowly fading back to reddish brown.

bill

Bjorgly

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Hey the world record on a tarantula is 11 and a bit inches, and it is a T.blondi like yours...if your goliath is really is closer to 12 inches or 12 inches, you would have nothing to lose by getting a real accurate measurement of it and sending it to Guiness book of world records. Just a thought,

EDIT: I just checked, I quote from Guiness Book Of World Records 2002:::: A male goliath bird eating spider (T.leblondi) collected in venezuela in April 1965 had a RECORD legspan of 11 inches (28 centimeters) - sufficent to cover a dinner plate.

If your spider is over 11 inches then call them up, i think it would be awesome for someone on these forums to have something in the record books.

Mark

Last edited:

invertepet

Arachnolord
Old Timer
I thought the world record was set by a male blondi at 13"..?

bill

Bjorgly

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
I just read that from the guiness book of world records 2002, i copied EXACTLY what it said...i have every guiness book.

Mark

Bjorgly

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
I also just checked guiness world records 2003 and the book doesnt even list a largest spider record, so there ya go. The most recent record is 11 inches.

Mark

invertepet

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Hmm, guess I remembered wrong.

Well, at a relaxed posture with the legs spread out a little, this blondi measures roughly 9" from left Leg I to right Leg IV. I'm guessing she's closer to 10" if she were (ahem) deceased or totally unconscious/paralyzed and I could position the legs to full span. The impressive part is the body length - just over 4". Yikes!

bill

Bjorgly

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Sounds like you have one awesome spider. I guess it would all come down to just how the people at Guiness measure their record breaking spiders. I highly doubt in a relaxed standing posture there is any spider that is 11 inches across. I really want one of these but i dont think im ready quite yet for something as needy temperature and humidity wise, let alone their temperment for whenever i had to move them to larger quarters :D

Mark

Lantang

Arachnopeon
There was a T.apophysis male that measured out at 13.1'' or 13.2''?Dont remeber which, Mark Hart(use to be West Coast Zoological), tried to breed it to his females, but the male was just too big!

invertepet

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Did he name it John Holmes? ;)

I think I remember Mark mentioning that male a while ago.

bill

Gillian

Arachnoblessed
Old Timer
Originally posted by invertepet
Did he name it John Holmes? ;)

I think I remember Mark mentioning that male a while ago.

bill

*LMFAO*!!!!
Peace,
Gillian
(good ole footlong Holmes)

Gillian

Arachnoblessed
Old Timer
Originally posted by invertepet
Depends on time from last molt in many cases. They often turn up a deep reddish brown, then gradually fade to a kind of dirty fawn or just plain old darkish brown, then molt out as jet black slowly fading back to reddish brown.

bill
Bill,
I've noticed this color change in mine, and couldn't figure it out. Right now, Kaja is pale fawn, and has been barricaded in her hide for 2 and a half weeks. I've been checking her every day, to make sure everything goes fine.
Btw, I found 1 flying tiny bug in her enclosure, today. Mites, right? Can I clean her enclosure or, should I wait until after her molt?
Peace,
Gillian

invertepet

Arachnolord
Old Timer
I'd wait until a few days after the molt. A few mites shouldn't do much harm at this point.

bill

Gillian

Arachnoblessed
Old Timer
Bill,
Thanks..I think she's closer to molt than I realize. She's acting very lethargic. I'm keeping her humidity up, so no problems occur.
Peace,
Gillian

Longbord1

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
what did u feed that big girl to get her that big??? also if she ever dies do u think i could purchase her dead body!! i want a huge tarantulas dead body!!
id gladly pay for the shipping and the T

mike