What's you're ratio?

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I've had 5 juve's mature in the last 3months and every one has been a male (I've had these guys since they were sub 1cm)

Are males more common or am i just unlucky? :p (I suppose unlucky isn't the word as the Theraphosa MM's are quite sought after I'm told?)

What are your ratios?

My MM's are....

GBB
A.Avic
P.cancerides
T.Stirmi
T.Blondi
If you consider owning females the goal of owning a T species, then you are unlucky. I had only males for about 10 years, then in a few months had about 5 females from different species I raised, all long lived species.

No one has any idea on gender ratios, ie peer-reviewed articles, to the best of knowledge.

Well it does take 2 different genders to make slings, so I'm not sure why you question if MMs are needed hahahah

In the USA at least, MMs can increase your collection very EASILY.

Ungoliant

Malleus Aranearum
Staff member
I think people worry way too much about if their slings are male or female. The only ones that would bother me would be some of the slowest growing species. That's when you buy multiples or splurge on a sexed T. I've enjoyed all of my Ts regardless of their sex. I got them to take care of during their life span. Some are just shorter than others.
While I prefer females, I wouldn't mind if some of my slings turned out to be male. Worst-case scenario, I get to enjoy raising them, and when they reach maturity, I can trade them for something else I want.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
The best part about males is they don't live long, gives you an excuse to get a new T or a few if you play your cards right.

Jeff23

Arachnolord
I am figuring that all of my 1/4" Aphonopelma slings will be ready for a sex check in the year 2022 or so.:wacky: I will then provide my ratio.