What's you're ratio?

Bread

Arachnopeon
I've had 5 juve's mature in the last 3months and every one has been a male (I've had these guys since they were sub 1cm)

Are males more common or am i just unlucky? :p (I suppose unlucky isn't the word as the Theraphosa MM's are quite sought after I'm told?)

What are your ratios?

My MM's are....

GBB
A.Avic
P.cancerides
T.Stirmi
T.Blondi

Ungoliant

Malleus Aranearum
Staff member
What are your ratios?
So far, I've lucked out. All of the ones I've been able to sex are female:
  • Avicularia avicularia x2
  • Grammostola pulchra x2
Sex to be determined:
  • Chromatopelma cyaneopubescens x1
  • Acanthoscurria geniculata x1 (just molted, but the exuviae is tiny and extremely delicate)
  • Dolichothele diamantinensis x1

basin79

ArachnoGod
I've got 7 T's (8 by tomorrow) and they're all female.

Of course I paid more and bought them sexed. I do love T's but would be gutted if I ended up with a male.

Rittdk01

Arachnoknight
Blondi and stirmi both....:( trade them to breeders I suppose :)

Here's within last couple of months:

Had my smaller pinktoe molt male.
A seemanni molted male.
B vagans molted male.
G pulchripes molted female :)
B albopilosum molted female :D

So, not too bad. I try feeding the males less, but who knows if it will make much difference??? I was a little sad about the Avic, since muffin is one of my very favorites, but that's how it goes. I would think its 50/50 for slings being either male or female.

nicodimus22

Arachnomancer
Arachnosupporter
I'm at 1 male, and 6 unsexed. Got all of them as 1/4 inch slings.

mack1855

Arachnoangel
Arachnosupporter +
I do love T's but would be gutted if I ended up with a male.
As a MM of homo sapiens,i think I resent that .:depressed:.But,i can say I do pray ,let it be a female,oh please let it be a female.

Jeff23

Arachnolord
So far I am at 100+ unsexed on my slings (why does spell check want me to change that to undersexed?). The ones that I probably could attempt to guess sex put their molts in spots where I couldn't get to them or they stay hidden in their burrows. I guess I need a miniature drone to snap some paparazzi burrow pictures of the secret lives of my tarantulas.

WeightedAbyss75

Arachnoangel
So far, I have about 15 females-unsexed T's. Only T I'd be happy to get male is my Pamphobeteus sp. goliath, but even then I'd have to ship it to someone for breeding. I want to try my hamd at breeding, so I am getting more and more unsexed :D @Bread, hope you can get a female ;) Although males arn't terrible, so long as you can find a breeder that will give you 50/50 for a bigger chance at females :)

Olan

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Lately I'm at 5 male 3 female. 3 out of 4 B. albiceps were male, which sucks. But at least I got the one female. And 1 out of 1 B. smithi was female, which makes up for it.

cold blood

Staff member
The majority of species are male heavy, its not a 50-50 (or close to it) thing like with humans.

There are many species where the ratio might be 10 males for every female.

Jeff23

Arachnolord
I am currently afraid to buy any unsexed juvenile T's from any one. I'd rather buy a sling. As bad as the sling odds might be, I suspect multiple females are located in the egg sac as soon as it is possible to identify them. This means any remaining unsexed juvenile T's would have even higher odds of being male.

Of course this is just my paranoia. I don't have a clue on how breeder / sellers actually handle this.

Vanessa

Grammostola Groupie
I am not going to count the females that I have purchased sexed.
Out of the unsexed ones, that are not still unsexed, I have ended up with...
Avicularia avicularia x1 Female
Unknown avicularia X1 Female
Thrixopelma ockerti x1 Female
Grammostola pulchra x1 Female and x1 is ventrally sexed as female and I am waiting for a moult to confirm
Eupalaestrus campestratus x1 male
Brachypelma albopilosum x1 male (sold to me as moult confirmed female) and x1 Female
Brachypelma smithi x2 male
Euathlus sp. Red x1 ventrally sexed male, waiting for moult to confirm.
Grammostola pulchripes x1 male and x1 female
Chromatopelma cyaneopubescens x2 female
Lasiodora difficilis x1 female from ventral sexing, still waiting to moult confirm.
There are a couple more that I am convinced of sex, but can't confirm. Only basing it on the size difference between sac mates.

ledzeppelin

Arachnobaron
approximately 1 female for 2 males.. My N. chromatus and L. violaceopes were the latest confirmed males.. have about 15 yet to sex

basin79

ArachnoGod
Can't believe I miss counted. I've got 8 females. 9 later today.

I did risk it with some true spider slings though. My 2 Macrothele Gigas are both unsexed but my 2 Gandanameno sp have given me 1 of each which is good going.

Rittdk01

Arachnoknight
The majority of species are male heavy, its not a 50-50 (or close to it) thing like with humans.

There are many species where the ratio might be 10 males for every female.
I guess my ratio was pretty good so far. This may lead me to buy more confirmed females and pass on slings in the future. even at the cheaper price buying multiples to ensure a female would about even out. Learn something new every day.

Crowbi

Arachnopeon
Only two of my Ts have been sexed so far. My A. seemanni and Pelinobius muticus are both females. The rest I have no idea... I suspect my adult Grammostola sp. "North" is female too since it just molted and didn't hook out. Same for my Avicularia avicularia although I don't know for sure.

I don't really mind too much if I end up with males as ill just trade or sell them when they mature.

Trenor

Arachnoprince
I've had pretty good luck so far with my slings. I had 8 turn out to be female and 3 males so far.

I think people worry way too much about if their slings are male or female. The only ones that would bother me would be some of the slowest growing species. That's when you buy multiples or splurge on a sexed T. I've enjoyed all of my Ts regardless of their sex. I got them to take care of during their life span. Some are just shorter than others.

Last edited:

Bread

Arachnopeon
I've had pretty good luck so far with my slings. I had 8 turn out to be female and 3 males so far.

I think people worry way too much about if their slings are male or female. The only ones that would both me would be some of the slowest growing species. That's when you buy multiples or splurge on a sexed t. I've enjoyed all of my Ts regardless of their sex. I got them to take care of during their life span. Some are just shorter than others.
It doesn't worry me at all, ALL of my T's are bought at mini-sling size 1cm ish so only cost me £5 each, I like watching them grow :)