whats your take on black heat bulbs

JungleGuts

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
For people who use or have used them, whats your take on the black Night Glo heat bulbs? Personally ive been using one for my dune scorpion for over a year now with no problems. Turns on at 6:00PM and goes off 6:00AM everyday. Its makes for good effects with the glow in the dark sand. Anyway i wanna know if anyone uses them and likes or has had problems with them?

brandontmyers

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
i think over a long period of time it can really hurt your scorpion...im not an expert but that is what i have read..

Mark Newton

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
If the bulb is putting out UV it's a very unnatural form of light and high energy and as stated potentially harmful. Red light seems to be good, low energy and scorpions dont seem to be bothered by it.

tacomadiver

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Are you talking about an actual black light, or one of the "moonlight" incandescent heat lamps?

brandontmyers

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
im pretty sure they are still UV lights, but dont quote me on that. I use red heat lamps, and they are great. They don't affect the scorpion and gives you plenty of light...

JungleGuts

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
im pretty sure they are still UV lights, but dont quote me on that. I use red heat lamps, and they are great. They don't affect the scorpion and gives you plenty of light...

yea i use red bulbs with some of my stuff to, so what type of light do they give off ?

brandontmyers

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
i think infrared....which occurs naturally, and UV doesnt which is why it is so harmful.....its kinda the reason everyone wants to preserve the ozone...because if we were subjected to that light, it would suck for us, so think of it the same way

EAD063

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
My take on what I've been told is red is on the low end of the spectrum where as the purple and UV aren't, scorpions are photophobic, so the less visable light the better. I've also heard the red is practically invisible to them makinga much less stressful enviroment. Personally I'd get IR they're cheap enopugh. :)

tacomadiver

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Actually UV does occur naturally, just that the vast majority of it is filtered by out atmosphere. And you aren't going to get harmful amounts of UV off an incandescent bulb. So I personally wouldn't worry about it.

Bayushi

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
somewhere on the forums there is a thread talking about how prolonged exposure to UV lighting will eventually make the scorpion stop phosphorescing

Mark Newton

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I guess it all depends on how much harmful UV is actually being produced by the globe, as stated, incandescent is not likely to do much damage, certainly not as much as a fluro I would have thought. It might be mainly visibile light at the blue end of the spectrum. But....for me, I would have thout red to be better. Having said that I did some scorpion collecting recently under a full moon that was so bright a torch wasnt needed, only the UV torch and scorpions were everywhere. The moonlight wasnt bothering them at all.

EAD063

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Do you think it doesn't hurt as much because the light from the moon is reflected UV from the sun, but the sun would be emitting direct UV onto them? Just an insight.

Mark Newton

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Do you think it doesn't hurt as much because the light from the moon is reflected UV from the sun, but the sun would be emitting direct UV onto them? Just an insight.
I dont think the health authorities suggest we put sun screen on when the moon is full...:D

Drachenjager

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
i think infrared....which occurs naturally, and UV doesnt which is why it is so harmful.....its kinda the reason everyone wants to preserve the ozone...because if we were subjected to that light, it would suck for us, so think of it the same way
UV dosent occur naturally???? thats news to me lol

Mark Newton

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
im sorry... i meant in the amount that a UV light produces...ozone absorbs most of the UV, so we do get some but not a lot...sorry about the confusion

I'm pretty sure people knew what you meant.....pullin ya leg. I've never seen a scorp fluoresce under the moon either. Surely there would be so little uv at night it would have no bearing on the scorpion. Not as far as I can imagine anyway.