What's your opinion on this?

Shampain88

Arachnosquire
It makes me angry that some people out there risk their pets to parasites and pesticides for the sake of entertainment!

Last edited by a moderator:

magicmed

Arachnobaron
Personally, even if the wasp was not wild caught I still wouldn't feed a wasp to a T. Just too much risk, one sting in the right spot and it's over

Toxoderidae

Arachnoprince
See, wasps are actually pretty intelligent as far as insects go, but aren't pets like tarantulas. Regardless, due to their intelligence as inverts, they should be regarded a bit higher at least than a feeder. Now, if this were a dog or something with a live chicken or some other animal, there'd be hell to raise. Why not here? People are useless tools sometimes, and we only care about things that seem "cute" to us or appeal in some way.

Tarantula20

Arachnosquire
Animals being cared for like this is why I cant go to pet co, because I wanna buy every invert and reptile there to get it into a proper enclosure, DIsclaimer:They do an ok job with the reptiles

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
It's only asking for troubles, and nothing more. The wasp, as mentioned before, could had in contact with no one wants stuff, not to mention the sting.

Here where I live those wasps are really, but really, "aggressives". We have a lot of those. They chase you for nothing.

Sarkhan42

Arachnoangel
"Look at it screaming for help" is a psychopathic thing to say.
Almost as bad as the dude a few months ago (banned now, unsurprisingly) who talked about enjoying the screams of dying baby mice as he fed them to his Ts. That, was some serious serial killer stuff.

Andrea82

Arachnoemperor
I hate those 'x versus y' animal 'wars'. Black widow against mantis, or this video. It's the same mentality as dog fights or rooster fights. Useless, and despicable. I find no entertainment at all in this kind of videos.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I hate those 'x versus y' animal 'wars'. Black widow against mantis, or this video. It's the same mentality as dog fights or rooster fights. Useless, and despicable. I find no entertainment at all in this kind of videos.
And human fights too, just rapidly degrading into the end of the Roman Empire

Mandiblehead

Arachnopeon
I have mixed feelings on that one. I think its wrong to do to a pet like a tarantula because of the risk. Also though spiders were made to keep pests and things under control in wild reality, That Could have been a fluke but that baboon got him in a way where the wasp couldnt sting him. Growing up I use to feed random bugs to spiders all the time. grasshoppers to small orbs and watch that little guy waste him. they just seemed to know how to handle every bug. Its probly somethign alot of kids do who like spiders. I use to catch ten or eleven spiders separatly and put them all in a jar at once, ( Orb weavers and wolf spiders which may have been hobo spiders were always the Victors) aswell as feed them random bugs including wasps and things that sting or bite. separatly for a while to see how each spider took care of things. (Ive matured up alot since then I was just a kid) that spider to me appeared he knew what he was doing. Not that I nessesarily approve. there literealy here to take care of things like that. ( but not the pet ones ) that isnt something I would do anymore but im also 34 now and grown out of doing things like that. I still throw a bug in a weavers nest from time to time. Its cool to watch. MIce to tarantulas becomes a different thing thoguh. same thing different league. just sharing my thoughts. dont worry though I dont vs spiders anymore. I still feed them if I see a bug convieniently near a web though, I admit I feel bad for the bigs once in a while.

Vanessa

Grammostola Groupie
It is no different than someone basing their entire decision on what species to get on the tarantula's feeding response and no other factors. I understand that tarantulas need to eat, and I am prepared to feed them what they need to survive and thrive in my care, but people who derive that level of pleasure out of killing have some serious mental issues going on. I can't stress that enough.

magicmed

Arachnobaron
Almost as bad as the dude a few months ago (banned now, unsurprisingly) who talked about enjoying the screams of dying baby mice as he fed them to his Ts. That, was some serious serial killer stuff.
Really? That's twisted. I feed F/T prekilled rats to my snake, not only because it's safer for the snake, but I was around when live pray was the normal food of choice for keepers to use because of misguided info. I did NOT enjoy the squeeks, screams, cries, whatever you want to call it, and honestly I'd venture to say anyone that did was more than a little off. Everything needs to eat and has the right to eat, but that doesn't mean you gotta make a spectacle out of it.

Mandiblehead

Arachnopeon
It also is proven if you get stung it has strong Anti inflamatory in it. perhaps the T gets a benefit out of a Diverse diet. Not that the video maker is considering it. But that T might not have a bad life at all. Different insects all thetime > I was raised on oatmeal. Its nice getting something different from time to time. when I fed the weavers the same thing to often theyd ignore it. But through a new bug un there ..... there all over it. that ob. probly has a better life then peple are giving it credit for Not that the keepr is considering that. althogh who really knows. when I fed my T. or scorp I was like Yaaa. get him buddy. eat him up. not in a phcycho way. just happy to encourage his enthusiasm. Crickets are smart too. put them in a keeper, watch them they comunicate. theylk team up to move rocks and t hings. so they have a degree of inteligence ( my old keeper had gravel in it. I card for them to haha .. to a certain degree, they had water and food

Last edited:

Shampain88

Arachnosquire
It also is proven if you get stung it has strong Anti inflamatory in it. perhaps the T gets a benefit out of a Diverse diet. Not that the video maker is considering it. But that T might not have a bad life at all. Different insects all thetime > I was raised on oatmeal. Its nice getting something different from time to time. when I fed the weavers the same thing to often theyd ignore it. But through a new bug un there ..... there all over it. that ob. probly has a better life then peple are giving it credit for Not that the keepr is considering that. althogh who really knows. when I fed my T. or scorp I was like Yaaa. get him buddy. eat him up. not in a phcycho way. just happy to encourage his enthusiasm. Crickets are smart too. put them in a keeper, watch them they comunicate. theylk team up to move rocks and t hings. so they have a degree of inteligence ( my old keeper had gravel in it. I card for them to haha .. to a certain degree, they had water and food
I agree 100%, I feel more like a cricket keeper than a spider enthusiast sometimes :D

Andrea82

Arachnoemperor
When i am happy when tge T catches the cricket, i am not happy because the cricket dies or suffers. I am happy because the spider is eating.

rally

Arachnosquire
Well... We all keep predators. I'm sure some psychologist out there could make a case of all of us being fascinated by watching things get eaten alive.

That kid's not being very tactful about it though. It conveys an (IMO) unhealthy lack of respect for life.

Of course I agree about the danger of pesticides/stings.