Hello there, why not take a few seconds to register on our forums and become part of the community? Just click here.

What's your lighting setup for whips?

Discussion in 'Other Spiders & Arachnids' started by Danu, Nov 8, 2019.

1. Danu

Danu Arachnopeon

USA
    Advertisement
    I got my first invert pretty recently- a mexican variety tailless whipscorpion. I got a Zoo Med Nano lamp and a 40w infrared bulb maybe a week or so ago and today the bulb broke- just straight up fell out, left the other piece in the lamp for me to fish out. Now I'm wondering, is Zoo Med a reliable brand or should I cut my losses now and find a better product? I searched the forums but didn't see much, so I'm curious- what brand/wattage/etc light do you use?

2. chanda

chanda Arachnoprince Active Member

Lighting? For whips? Why? They're nocturnal animals.
    I don't use any lighting at all for mine. I have kept both Damon diadema (Tanzanian whips) and Paraphrynus carolynae (Mexican whips) for years with no supplemental lighting. During the day they have the ambient room light that comes in through the blinds (and they spend the daytime tucked into the darkest crevices in the cork bark they can find.) They also don't need supplemental heat unless your house is really cold - they do just fine at room temperature.

3. mantisfan101

mantisfan101 Arachnoangel Active Member

No lights, no heat lamp, nothing. Lights will stress them out, especially if they’re wild caught. I keep mine in my basement and tberems some light but it’s mostly dark and she seems to do fine.

4. Danu

Danu Arachnopeon

USA
    sorry, I worded that wrong- I do mean heat, not light. I read they needed temps 80-85 degrees and my house is usually 68-70- not to mention theres already a few inches of snow on the ground. Should I not worry? It's only gonna get colder, this state is known to get as cold as 20 below in winter.

5. chanda

chanda Arachnoprince Active Member

I'm assuming the snow on the ground is outside - and your whips are inside - so that shouldn't affect them at all. While it may get very cold outside it is only the inside temperatures that you need to worry about, and usually your furnace or heaters will keep that at a comfortable level. The temperature does not need to remain at 80-85 year round. It doesn't stay that temperature in the wild, so why should they require that in your house? My bug and reptile room may sometimes get up to 80 or so in the summer, but it is far more often in the 70s or even occasionally down to the high 60's. As a general rule of thumb, if you are ok with the temperature (without needing to put on a coat) they will be also.

Of course, given that you do live in an area with very cold winters and snow, you should have a plan in place in case of a power outage. While you can easily put on a coat or layer a few extra quilts on the bed, your pets may need some other form of supplemental heating that is not dependent on the public utilities. A simple solution would be to have deli cups or other small containers on hand, as well as a good supply of those chemical heat packs (like they use in shipping) so if the power does go out, you can temporarily transfer your pets to the small cups and pack them into an insulated box or chest with a heat pack to keep them warm. You can find these packs online in a variety of "sizes" from 12 hours up to 72 or even 96 hours. (Just be sure the heat pack is not in direct contact with the cups containing your pets - you don't want to cook them, just warm the air in the box.)

• Like Like x 1
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.