whats your 'Indian Ornamental' like?

peterspiderling

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
hey, i have an adult female Indian Ornamental, and i had her for quite some time now, and shes a goody to shoes, shes lovely! she was my first ornamental and i read and heard that they were very agressive and very fast. now my indian ornamental is fast as she has proved, but shes not angry at all, i moved her out of her tank the other day and she was fine! not even a thret and wasnt running like a nutter, and he same when i put her back after i cleaned out her tank. shes very helthy and eats fine and eveything.

so, i was wondering, for all those people with a indian ornamental out there, is yours nurvus and agressive, or calm and friendly-ish?:D

Merfolk

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
They are calm and will bite only when provoked, or if they mistake your finger for a meal. Handling is not advised due to the potency of the venom, but many did without problems, however a few case were painful and landed at the hospital. They have shifting mood IMO!!!

Mina

Arachnoking
Old Timer
My juvie is about 3 1/2 inches now, he hides a lot, but does not seem disturbed when I open his house for routine feeding and watering. It can move faster than can be seen when hunting, so it gets a lot of respect and caution when I open the viv. It is however, a lovely T, and one I enjoy watching.

beetleman

Arachnoking
Old Timer
my girl is not so bad,it's when i mist the container lightly she does the defence mode,bright yellow/black legs underneath very cool,but otherwise she hides in her little tube,now feeding her hmm she bolts out like crazy to get the yummy cricket:drool:

KJE

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Mine is a 7"+ female. She hides about 80% of the time. She seems to be very laid back. I never mess around in her enclosure, so she never shows any defensiveness or speed.

She's a calm eater as well. She usually waits until I'm not looking to get the crickets I feed her. She also doesn't seem to eat that much once I've fattened her up from a molt. I wish she would eat as well as what I've read other people's eat.

Slash

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Mine regalis is exactly 3". During the daytime, if I need to open the enclosure for anything, he/she stays perfectly still, as long as I'm not messing with its webbing or anything.

During the nighttime, however, if I get within 6 inches of the enclosure, its starts doing laps in there at about 100 mph. :eek: I think he/she is just still small and very nervous...and given all these good hiding spots...it cant find one it likes.

Meaningless End

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
i dont personaly own a regalis but i do have a adult female P. faciata. She has only thrown a threat display at me once and it was when she was in pre molt. she is verry fast but not verry defencive at all.. when i open her tank she is very well behaved and i can usually work around her without her moving an inch.

spid142

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
regalis

My 6+ inch regalis, is pretty laid back, doesnt react much to maintenance, prefers to stay in the hide during, but if I accidentally bump her enclosure while working with another T, she runs like lightning down into her hide. So she does display some nervousness. Whe doing maintenance, picking out boluses etc, I have never seen her threat display at all. Usually the only time I get to see her yellow bands, is if she happens to be chilling on the wall facing me. She does like to dive-bomb crix from the top of her bark tree.

Merfolk

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I noticed this for both pokies and OBT'S: They sleep. Seriously!

Sometimes they are motionless, I touch a leg. No reaction. I keep annoying it a bit, they barely move and finaly start walking clumsily and slowly toward the nearest hiding spot. Exacly like myself after I hit the snooze button for the second time!!!!

And you come to the same animal 20 minutes later and it's a speed demon.

They seem to wake up hungry, cause my rufi bolted from the bottom to the top of enclosure in a nano second to taste the scotch tape I was removing from the inside of the lid. She ignored my finger, laid a paw on the tape, decided it wasn't edible and walked back home calmly.

Rydog

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
My girl is like yours, only fast when disturbed. I have yet to see her hunt though.

cricket54

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
I have 2 full grown female P. regalis's. One hides constantly and is very shy. The other girl is out in the open a lot.i have had them since they were little babies, I've had them both escape and the shy one, we chased all over the kitchen trying to get her to go back in her tank. It took over 5 min. to get her angry enough to show us a threat posture. She did eventually go back into her tank and hide without biting anyone. The other girl escaped too and was missing about 3 days or so when I got a phone call from my son-in-law. He found her in his shoe. He was trying to put it on, and something was blocking it. He looked in there and saw the legs, and called my daughter Laura who got the Pokie to come out of the shoe and go back in her tank without incident. The tarantula never bit him. Needless to say Steve was gratefull not to get bit, and we are impressed with the P. regalis's nature. Steve didn't hold it against me. I bought velcro to wrap around their tanks and lids so they couldn't escape after that. My other Pokies are in big big jars that have screw on lids. I bet most Indian Ornimentals are like this, more apt to hide, and less apt to attack and bite you. They sure worth the money.

Sharon

lunixweb

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
My pokie is 1.5" and it's super fast, and a little nervous, it runs when I open the jar to feed it or to moist the ground.. when I bought it & got out of the package it ran by all my arm until my neck.. that was the faster T that I've ever seen...

thunderthief

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I have a 7"+ regalis, and shes a sweetheart!! Only time I've seen her out in daylight was to projectile poo on the glass. She comes out at night sometimes, but doesnt take long to come out when theres food in there, adult locust are her fav!!

mcy

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I currently have 4 Regalis 2 females 2 males. The females seem to be a bit more calm but i would never ever pick one up its just not worth the bite just to impress someone. The males are more skittish one is agressive and other likes to run away. My female Fasciata seems to be a real gentle spider she always tries to hide when i feed her. She once tried to bury herself in half water half peat moss while i was flushing the tank to get her out it was hilarious but i felt bad for having to take such precautions not to get bit while rehousing.

spid142

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
night or day

My big regalis does come out during daylight pretty often, to spread out on her bark. So I get to see her pretty often.

pitpider

Arachnopeon
my indian

mine just sits there i never see her move even know i know she does with all the new webbing being done
she used to come out and perch on her log but then i built a new incloser and now she just hangs upside down waiting for crickets

Attachments

tarsier

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
i have a female which is around 6" in legspan.

quite nervous but she tends to run and hide rather than give a threat pose.

pippa

Arachnopeon
I have a small Orn., about 1 1/4" that sits still for long periods of time and likes to hide a lot. Because of it's small size and reputed venom, I don't handle "Tiny Tim" at all.