What's your ideal starter scorpion?

scorps

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I've owned scorpions before, however haven't kept them since I moved in with my fiance. She likes T's but scorpions give her the creeps. I am wanting to get her some, to help her warm up to them a bit. Back in the day, I kept bark scorpions, and I don't think that would be a good pick for her. So what is your favorite scorpion that you'd pick for a beginner, since emperors aren't much of an option these days. x3

brolloks

Arachnobaron
Hi,

Have a look at the Heterometrus spp. They are good, hardy starter scorpions with low potency venom.

scorps

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Emperors? Good looking, hardy, low potency and pretty readily available.
I'd love to know where you live that Emperors are "readily available". True Pandinus imperator are fairly difficult to find since they were banned. Their prices are now around $100 if you can find one.

Willuminati

Arachnosquire
I'd love to know where you live that Emperors are "readily available". True Pandinus imperator are fairly difficult to find since they were banned. Their prices are now around $100 if you can find one.
Southern California. "The painted Reptile" which is a local shop in the San Fernando valley, has TRUE emperors right NOW.

42LegAPede

Arachnosquire
Red Claws are a good starter, I'd have to agree with the others about the Asian Forests. I personally adore Desert Hairy Scorpions. Their enclosure is about 30$ and are good eaters.

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
I do agree that those aren't cheap at all, but banned? Nah, just CITES protected. It's different.

Oroborus

Arachnosquire
What the heck is a "true imperator"? My local dealer/breeder sells Pandinus imperator adults for $40, more than H spinifer to be sure, but prices have not changed much here. Good guy who knows his stuff and has a good reputation. If they are not imperator, and definitely not Heterometrus, would love to know what they are, and more importantly what's living in my Emperor enclosure?

Stugy

Arachnolord
What the heck is a "true imperator"? My local dealer/breeder sells Pandinus imperator adults for $40, more than H spinifer to be sure, but prices have not changed much here. Good guy who knows his stuff and has a good reputation. If they are not imperator, and definitely not Heterometrus, would love to know what they are, and more importantly what's living in my Emperor enclosure?
People are selling Pandinus dictator and those wierd red claw Pandinus scorpions as Emperors. The original Emperor scorpion is Pandinus imperator :) And where is you local dealer?! Man I want some of those cheap Emperors! :p Oh and for the question that was answered for the thread, my first scorpion was a Heterometrus petersii and I got her early July. She is a nice looking scorpion that hates being touched. From what I've observed Heterometrus scorpions are really easy to care for and for me, being a little irresponsible, she is active helps me out work with my irresponsibility :).

Oroborus

Arachnosquire
People are selling Pandinus dictator and those wierd red claw Pandinus scorpions as Emperors. The original Emperor scorpion is Pandinus imperator :) And where is you local dealer?! Man I want some of those cheap Emperors! :p Oh and for the question that was answered for the thread, my first scorpion was a Heterometrus petersii and I got her early July. She is a nice looking scorpion that hates being touched. From what I've observed Heterometrus scorpions are really easy to care for and for me, being a little irresponsible, she is active helps me out work with my irresponsibility :).
My local dealer is Arachnophiliacs here in BC, Canada. I'm more of a spider guy than scorpion, having only Heterometrus sp and Pandinus imperator (I think!). I have to admit, looking at the pictures of dictator, I doubt I could tell the difference if they were sitting side by side on a table. That being said, I'm sure there's folks on here that could tell the difference across a dark room. Focusing on scorpions lately, hoping to get my first hot scorpion soon. Cheers.

Stugy

Arachnolord
My local dealer is Arachnophiliacs here in BC, Canada. I'm more of a spider guy than scorpion, having only Heterometrus sp and Pandinus imperator (I think!). I have to admit, looking at the pictures of dictator, I doubt I could tell the difference if they were sitting side by side on a table. That being said, I'm sure there's folks on here that could tell the difference across a dark room. Focusing on scorpions lately, hoping to get my first hot scorpion soon. Cheers.
Oh that makes sense. I don't recall Canada banning Emperors from import so that may be the reason why, in your case, they are quite inexpensive. I got my first hot scorpion last Friday from pannaking and it's a cute one! It was a 4i Parabuthus schlecteri :). Choose wisely with your scorpions! <slowly backs into dark corner> :robot:

Redjunior

Arachnoknight
Babycurus jacksoni is always a fun species. If you give them lots of climbing spots, and natural style tank, they can be fun to try and find in a small tank. :) my girlfriend wasn't keen on scorpions either, but the jacksoni helped her warm up as she would always be trying to spot them cause they camouflaged pretty well. :) now she's getting interested in how hyper Leiurus quinquestriatus can be in comparison.

chanda

Arachnoking
Old Timer
My first scorpion was an Emperor (true P. imperator) and he was really great. Active, an aggressive feeder, but a pretty laid back disposition otherwise. That was years ago, though, before they became so expensive and hard to find. He's passed on now and I've been keeping other species instead. My H. arizonensis and Heterometrus are easy to care for but spend most of their time in their burrows. I just picked up an African Flat Rock, Hadogenes troglodytes, and I am absolutely smitten with her. Her size and claws are sure to impress my students while that scrawny little tail and stinger keeps her from looking too scary - and she is incredibly docile. I never thought I'd hold a scorpion bare-handed, but when the vendor gave me the opportunity at the Reptile Super Show, I couldn't pass up the chance - and once I'd held her, I simply had to take her home with me. Of course, she is a hider too - at least in the daytime - but at night she's out and about.

isaiah s

Arachnopeon
Flat rock IMHO there hardy ,get large ,are fairly docile and inexpensive great starter jus my opinion

Goodlukwitthat

Arachnoknight
I would personally go with C. gracilis (there my personal favorites so far). Yea there barks but I have only been threat posed once in 2 years and I have had 100+ (my female was gravid when purchased then we mated her twice after that one brood was bad). I keep mine communally with no issues.

On the other hand I agree with a lot of other people here about a Heterometrus sp. Would prolly be the best for someone new (if you can't get an emp... So hard to find true emps anymore...) Maybe a H. longimanus? I absolutely loved mine (she passed recently).

BarkScorps

Arachnopeon
If you find them and are careful with their venom you can try Uroplectes and Babycurus.But again these are more intermediate species so be careful:).