What's your ideal starter scorpion?

TheScorpionMan

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Yep those are Red Claws. True emperors are P. Imperator not P. Cavimanus
To answer the thread though all the replies are pretty much spot on. Heterometrus, Hadrurus are great and C. Gracilis and babycurus are good too but you'll need to be a little more careful

BobBarley

Arachnoprince
I just got into scorps today! Got a shipment of 1 Liocheles australasiae and 1 Centruriodes gracilis. I wouldn't have normally gotten such a hot scorp as a first scorp, but I'm already very experienced in t's

JoshBC

Arachnosquire
My local dealer is Arachnophiliacs here in BC, Canada. I'm more of a spider guy than scorpion, having only Heterometrus sp and Pandinus imperator (I think!). I have to admit, looking at the pictures of dictator, I doubt I could tell the difference if they were sitting side by side on a table. That being said, I'm sure there's folks on here that could tell the difference across a dark room. Focusing on scorpions lately, hoping to get my first hot scorpion soon. Cheers.
Hey, nice to see a local on here. I'm in Abbotsford. I've bought 2 scorps from Bruce, a Hottentotta Judaicus and an Androctonus Amoreuxi. He sold me my A. A for 25 bucks, it was 2i. She's now 6i and molting to 7i as we speak. Hots are the best man, good luck with whichever one you ultimately choose. I doubt you'll be disappointed. Love all 3 of mine. I don't have any spiders. 4 scorps, that's all.

Oroborus

Arachnosquire
Hey, nice to see a local on here. I'm in Abbotsford. I've bought 2 scorps from Bruce, a Hottentotta Judaicus and an Androctonus Amoreuxi. He sold me my A. A for 25 bucks, it was 2i. She's now 6i and molting to 7i we speak. Hots are the best man, good luck with whichever one you ultimately choose. I doubt you'll be disappointed. Love all 3 of mine. I don't have any spiders. 4 scorps, that's all.
Hey Josh, we've probably passed each other at the BC Reptile show. I think I've settled upon T stigmurus and Hottentota hottentotta - both parthenogenic which is interesting. However, there is such good deals on Parabuthus sp, Androctonus maurentanicus and L quinquestriatus it makes the decision challenging. Maybe we'll meet sometime☺ Cheers.

brolloks

Arachnobaron
I just got into scorps today! Got a shipment of 1 Liocheles australasiae and 1 Centruriodes gracilis. I wouldn't have normally gotten such a hot scorp as a first scorp, but I'm already very experienced in t's
Nice! L. australasiae is parthenogenetic, there is a very good chance that you have a female so once it has matured you can expect a bunch of little ones! :D

BobBarley

Arachnoprince
Nice! L. australasiae is parthenogenetic, there is a very good chance that you have a female so once it has matured you can expect a bunch of little ones! :D
Yup! So is Liocheles australasiae only partially parthenogenetic?

EDIT: Here's something I found: http://www.tandfonline.com/doi/abs/10.1080/01688170.1985.10510163
http://www.americanarachnology.org/JoA_free/JoA_v33_n3/arac-033-03-0852.pdf

And this one that states that there have been no males found in Asia and only very few in Australia: https://books.google.com/books?id=g...onepage&q=liocheles australasiae male&f=false

So what do we have in the hobby, the Australian locality or the Asian one?

Last edited:

Vanessa

Grammostola Groupie
I recently purchased my first scorpion - a sub-adult P. imperator male - and I can't get over how awesome this little dude is. I paid $40 for him, and his enclosure, and I'm in the GTA. I'm looking to pick up another one for an empty aquarium I have. I adore my guy so much and can't say enough good things about him.
Bruce has some and Tangled in Webs has some as well.
Here's my little guy out on his nightly stroll.
_DSC7457-2.jpg

Pipa

Arachnoknight
I've owned scorpions before, however haven't kept them since I moved in with my fiance. She likes T's but scorpions give her the creeps. I am wanting to get her some, to help her warm up to them a bit. Back in the day, I kept bark scorpions, and I don't think that would be a good pick for her. So what is your favorite scorpion that you'd pick for a beginner, since emperors aren't much of an option these days. x3
If you want to be able to keep any species of scorpions you want, you need to buy her a nice beautiful diamond ring , take her on vacation to a beautiful tropical beach resort, give her all the attention and spoil her absolutely rotten. Then wait till she's drinking her favorite cocktail and while she's feeling happy and giggly, you say " honey, baby cakes, there's about twenty species of scorpions I want to keep but I'm willing to compromise with only five species.......... " BAM , you got her attention , she's thinking what a wonderful guy she has because you just compromised, you bought this beautiful ring, and a beach vacation. She's feeling good, she will agree!

scorps

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
If you want to be able to keep any species of scorpions you want, you need to buy her a nice beautiful diamond ring , take her on vacation to a beautiful tropical beach resort, give her all the attention and spoil her absolutely rotten. Then wait till she's drinking her favorite cocktail and while she's feeling happy and giggly, you say " honey, baby cakes, there's about twenty species of scorpions I want to keep but I'm willing to compromise with only five species.......... " BAM , you got her attention , she's thinking what a wonderful guy she has because you just compromised, you bought this beautiful ring, and a beach vacation. She's feeling good, she will agree!
LOL She just told me If I marry her already, I can get whatever I want XD

Matabuey

Arachnosquire
You've got to be an absolute idiot to be stung by a scorpion that is highly venomous lol.

My first invert was P.trans - I don't see how anyone could ever be stung, unless you're doing something incredibly silly. If everything is done sensibly, there is literally 0% risk of being stung.

Nice choice though.

Last edited:

Pipa

Arachnoknight
LOL She just told me If I marry her already, I can get whatever I want XD
There's your answer already ... better marry her now and after honey moon , you have the rest of your life to buy whatever scorpions you want !!! LOL !!!!!

Stugy

Arachnolord
You've got to be an absolute idiot to be stung by a scorpion that is highly venomous lol.

My first invert was P.trans - I don't see how anyone could ever be stung, unless you're doing something incredibly silly. If everything is done sensibly, there is literally 0% risk of being stung.

Nice choice though.
Accidents happens so let's say 5%

Stugy

Arachnolord
I mean...I guess if you knock the enclosure off of a table without the lid and the scorpion lands on your foot haha. :anxious:
Buahahaha lol! The chance of that happening must mean that you are the world's unluckiest arachnid keeper. XD

darkness975

Latrodectus
Arachnosupporter +
H. arizonensis. They tend to be a bit more active than a lot of other species IME.

Pipa

Arachnoknight
I mean...I guess if you knock the enclosure off of a table without the lid and the scorpion lands on your foot haha. :anxious:
This reminds me back in the mid 1990s I had a pair of Emperor Scorps ( back when they were $5.99 ) and I was driving down the road about 55 mph. and I decided to get a scorpion out while driving cuz I thought it was so cool. Needless to say I drop the scorpion upside down on my foot ( I was driving barefoot ) and it stung my foot trying to get upside right. My lips and chin got numb for about 3 hrs. Don't judge!!! We all have our brain fart moments when we were in our early 20's.