What's your favorite shark species?

LeilaNami

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I have no idea how to decide so I guess my list grows a little longer ;)

Basking shark - a torpedo with a jet engine mounted up front - just looks outlandish eventhough ofcourse nothing much is going on with that species.

Whale shark - just awsome and beautiful

GW - sure impressive!

... and I like "Fast as a shark" by Accept :}

Scary!
http://www.marktheshark.com/Gallery/User_pics/images/379-shark.jpg

I definately have to agree with the whale shark. Another close to my heart is the lemon shark.

tarsier

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Whale sharks are awesome.

Large, curious but gentle. Ive seen black tips, white tips and whale sharks on my diving trips and the latter is my favorite.

Would be really interested in seeing hammerheads though.

Lorgakor

Arachnomom
Staff member
Oceanic Whitetip is my fave.
I do love the horn sharks though, I got to pet a Port Jackson at Mandalay Bay in Las Vegas, it was a neat experience.

I must say that I love all sharks, I have been fascinated by them my whole life.

Anastasia

Arachnoprince
Old Timer

Large, curious but gentle. Ive seen black tips, white tips and whale sharks on my diving trips and the latter is my favorite.

Yep they are awesome!
also hammerhead are extremely interesting :cool:
Doh! we think alike
I didnt finish readin ur post when I reply, lol

P.jasonius

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
For interesting markings, I'd have to say zebra shark or bamboo shark. Small but beautiful.

Ganoderma

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
you live in the philippines, dont you guys have hammerheads? there are diving trips her ein taiwan that go out and dive with them (i assume in taiwan)

Midnightrdr456

Arachnoprince
Old Timer

Ive only seen black and and white tips (and a nurse but does that really count???) but I would LOVE to see a whale shark diving................someday.

Tleilaxu

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Bull sharks can live in fresh water wich make them cool but my absolute favorite is the Nurse shark Ginglymostoma cirratum. I just love them they are SSSOOO cute.

In second place is the sleeper shark

Third is the lantern shark

Fourth is the goblin shark

Fith is the Mako

And sixth is the great white.

Seventh is the black and reef white tip.

However I love all sharks and hope to either get a horn shark or a swell shark in the distant future.

AfterTheAsylum

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
The San Jose Sharks are my number one.

Definitely the goblin shark though. It is just menacing looking.

tarsier

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
you live in the philippines, dont you guys have hammerheads? there are diving trips her ein taiwan that go out and dive with them (i assume in taiwan)
Yes. large schools of hammerheads are usually seen off Cabilao Island (which is about an hour by plane or eighteen hours by ship from where I live) around this time of year until late February.

Im hoping to do one or two dives there in February but financial and time considerations makes it highly unlikely that I can go. :eek:

Ive also wanted to try diving at a place called Malapascua in Cebu Island where they have "guaranteed" :rolleyes: thresher shark sightings at a cleaning station where the sharks go early in the morning.

tarsier

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Yep they are awesome!
also hammerhead are extremely interesting :cool:
Doh! we think alike
I didnt finish readin ur post when I reply, lol
If you arent already into it, why not try scuba diving?

Its really a great way to relax and see so many beautiful and interesting things. :)

SkorpNtrants

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Basking Shark, Cetorhinus maximus has to be one of the coolest looking sharks IMO, they have Huge teeth and have some what of a prehistoric look to them.

Ando55

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Cetorhinus maximus aka the Basking Shark, Mitsukurina owstoni aka the Goblin Shark, Isistius brasiliensis aka the cookiecutter shark/cigar shark/luminous shark are my specific faves. Throw in the GW, Whale shark and a specific exotic I like is Heterodontus francisci aka the horn shark.

kellygirl

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Whale sharks, but I'm biased... I swam with them last July. :D

Hammerheads are also fascinating.

-Kelly

Scolopendra55

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Goblin sharks (Mitsukurina owstoni) are up there on my "friggin rad" list. I mean how many other animals look this downright creepy?!?!?
http://www.amonline.net.au/fishes/fishfacts/images/goblinh.jpg

My favorite "large" shark would have to be the Basking shark (Cetorhinus maximus). IMO they just look incredible!
http://images.google.com/imgres?img...&hl=en&lr=&rls=GGLJ,GGLJ:2006-34,GGLJ:en&sa=N

http://images.google.com/imgres?img...&hl=en&lr=&rls=GGLJ,GGLJ:2006-34,GGLJ:en&sa=N

Randolph XX()

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Alopias vulpinus is my pick, i know a guy got whipped with crazy scars on the chest
and in terms of whale shark, i've seen hatchlings in aquariums in Taiwan. we have plenty of them back home
but sadly, they are mostly food source, called "To-fu shark", ppl think they taste like tofu
there was a guy on the news who insisted government cannot take his shark which he had been keeping for 3 years in a huge out door pond near the shore, but that one end up in public aquarium a year later

bugmankeith

Arachnoking
Old Timer
That's sad you guys eat them, they are amazing.

Is it possible for you to get pictures of them as tiny sharks, i've never seen a picture of them that young.

Someone kept a whale shark, that's a new one!

Randolph XX()

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
well, just culture relativism, it's like a PETA person telling me eating animals is just not right
well, i don't have any pic of them and i am not in Taiwan, u may ask Kyle to post some if he got a chance to the aquarium