What's Your Favorite Non-Tarantula Arachnid?

josh_r

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
The genus Linothele, the genus Liphistius, and many of the Ctenidae are awesome.

Micrathena

Arachnoknight
Jumping spiders are adorable (Google "cute spider" and you get a drove of jumpers) but I particularly adore Micrathenas (naturally) and Argiopes. They are just so awesome. Ever seen Micrathenas sexponisa? Indescribably awesome.

Phrynus

Arachnosquire
Okefinokee fishing spiders (Dolomedes okefinokensis)

Amblypygi are definitely my favorites, but in considering true spiders, my favorite would be the Okefenokee fishing spider. It rivals the Huntsman spider in size. Their method of hunt is amazing in my opinion. The ability to rest the front legs on the water without breaking the surface tension is a beautiful adaptation to the aquatic habitat. The hydrophobic hairs on this spider allow it to retreat underwater while carrying a coat of air. They are not a super-defensive species, I've never been bitten and they make great display animals. Truely an awesome USA native true spider!
Pb

Attachments

Hanska

Arachnobaron
Any arachnid? Most of them has their perks as Snark said.
Pick of two would be Salticids or Lycosids. I'll go as the gunsmith in me says:
Lycosids, the AK of the spider world. Salticids are the hitech low tolerance precision tools like the AR-15, but the other gets the job done and has spread to all continents.
Battle between the two would be all about small circumstances, the battle ground if you will.

The Snark

Dumpster Fire of the Gods
Old Timer
Any arachnid? Most of them has their perks as Snark said.
Pick of two would be Salticids or Lycosids. I'll go as the gunsmith in me says:
Lycosids, the AK of the spider world. Salticids are the hitech low tolerance precision tools like the AR-15, but the other gets the job done and has spread to all continents.
Battle between the two would be all about small circumstances, the battle ground if you will.
Ar15? A gross insult to salticids world wide. I understand your point but I haven't seen a .223 yet that doesn't need a couple of hours of remilling and polishing. ;)